View Poll Results: What type of hitch do you use?
Just the ball 10 6.37%
Weight distribution with friction bar 32 20.38%
Equal-I-Zer 32 20.38%
Dual Cam 38 24.20%
Pullrite 0 0%
Pivot point projection (Hensley, Propride) 45 28.66%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
After a winter of silliness ("Sex in an Airstream" for ex.) while we get through the anti-camping season, seems like the nasty time has come with each side blaming the other. I have been in a dispute over whether someone personally insulted me elsewhere and I think he is projecting (psychological term) his anger on me. I can defend myself but tire of it. I hope people think before they post.

Gene

Old 05-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #58
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Steve,
It would be a real PITA at every hook-up, but it hasn't kept me from putting it to bed every Winter.

FWIW.....I've known Sean here on the boards ever since getting the Hensley and I know for a fact that he would NEVER offer to the public an un-safe or underrated product, believe it.

Bob
That picture can't have been taken in NY in the winter. The grass is green, the concrete is bare and dry, and the sun is shining. I think is it has been photo shopped.

Ken

Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, Robert, I've had my ProPride on three different trailers now, and I use the same method as you to handle the weight. Guess I'm more fortunate, however, that I don't have to put anything "to bed" for the winter.

And on that subject, just why do you put the Hensly "to bed" for the winter? I know for a fact it won't freeze.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #60
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
That picture can't have been taken in NY in the winter. The grass is green, the concrete is bare and dry, and the sun is shining. I think is it has been photo shopped.

Ken

Two weeks ago during Spring get-ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, Robert, I've had my ProPride on three different trailers now, and I use the same method as you to handle the weight. Guess I'm more fortunate, however, that I don't have to put anything "to bed" for the winter.

And on that subject, just why do you put the Hensly "to bed" for the winter? I know for a fact it won't freeze.
Two words.....Buffalo Winters.
Same reason the wheels end up in the basement along with the batt's, and the skylight and vents are covered. Think...anal.

Bob

Oopp's...forgot the brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	158021  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #61
GaRoc

2011 27 FB International
Dawsonville , Georgia
ProPride with 100 lb bars
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Two words.....Buffalo Winters.
Couldn't figure out "Buffalo Winters", so I googled it. Then it hit me....Duh!!! Buffalo, NY. Am I nieve to such things, or what?

Last winter I don't think it ever froze here, but the winter before it was REALLY bad.....it froze THREE times!

But fortunately, it didn't hurt my ProPride!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #63

Quote:

.................................................. ..........

Oopp's...forgot the brakes.
I been trying to figure out what that meant.

I give up. Please explain it to me.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme
ProPride is a good unit, easier to use, however, my husband looked up the Patent and it was for a lighter duty trailer. Now they could have beefed up the hitch and maybe got another Patent but we have no information regarding that possibility. So I stand by my statement for now.
Okay, I just got done reading the patent and the only information about the weight issue is as follows:

"To accommodate different gross trailer weights, trailer hitches for light vehicles and trailers, such as autos, vans, SUV’s, and pickup trucks, are generally one of four ratings, divided into Classes I-IV. For the purposes of this patent application, gross trailer weight is defined as the weight of the trailer when it is fully loaded. Ordinarily, hitches are rated for 10% of gross trailer weight to be on the tongue, referred to as the tongue weight. For the purposes of this patent application, tongue weight is defined as the weight put on a hitch ball by a trailer coupler.
A Class I hitch comprises a framework attached to a tow vehicle including a ball mount and ball for attaching a trailer coupler. This Class is generally rated at 2,000 lb. gross trailer weight. In addition, the ball mount can be either fixed or removable.
A Class II hitch is similar to Class I, except that the rating is generally 3,500 lb. Like Class I, Class II can have either a fixed or removable ball mount.
A Class III hitch only uses a removable ball mount. This style of hitch is known as a “hitch receiver”. In addition to ball mounts, a hitch receiver can be used with other more complicated types of mounts.
A Class IV hitch is similar to Class III, except it is heavier duty. This Class may be rated as high as 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight."

So I'm assuming that the term "light vehicles and trailers" is to differentiate what we've got from something like a tractor-trailer that weighs 20 tons as opposed to 6 or 7. Technically speaking, even the F-450 is a light duty pickup if compared to the the FULL range of trucks.

Anywho, the sticker on my propride says it's good to 14,000 lbs and, after reading the patent, I don't see anything that contradicts that.

If you'd like to see for yourself it's here : http://www.google.com/patents?id=Fjn...tput=html_text

I apologize for dragging us further off topic but I thought that folks might appreciate knowing that their 3Ps are just dandy for any airstream out there!

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I tow my 34 foot Avion triple axle (grosses about 5 tons) with a 14,000lb capacity Equal-I-Zer. The 14,000 lb Eq and the 12,000lb Eq use the same bars, but the headstock on the 14,000lb model is heavier. It's a real battleship. I have had nothing but good times with this hitch.

That being said, when I hit the lottery I would buy either a Hensely or a Propride. Probably a Propride.

I'm a pretty decent physicist, and the math alone says these hitches are superior. People can argue all they want, but there is no better way to control sway (short of the new Slimp Dolley that I'm working on ) than these two hitches. It's very simple, just like the long arm/short arm suspension of a "double wishbone" sports car...you project the roll center. So if you can project the "turn center" (my choice of words) between the axles, you're way ahead of the game. That's what both of them do, and it's a really smart thing to do.

If I had no hitch right now, I'd probably buy a Pro-pride. I think the engineering is very sound and it's a great design. So is the older Arrow.

But, at least for me, the Eq is doing just fine and I already have it.

I have used a Reese Dual Cam in the past. It worked well too. Personally, I didn't like fighting with the greasy chains. But, once hitched up, it did work well.

What I really do not like to see is the F-150 or the Blazer 2 going down the road with the headlights pointing at the clouds as he pulls a 31 footer and the back end is about 3" off the pavement and he's just on the ball. You can get by with that with a 3/4 ton heavy duty, but not with a half ton.

For whatever it's worth, though, I thank those on this forum. Years ago when I went to buy my first trailer (a 1977 31' Excella) I didn't know a whole lot about hitches. I learned a LOT just by reading on here.

Maybe the "....win I hit the lottery...." statement was a tad unfair. I'm just strapped at the moment like many of us and the Eq is doing OK for now... I really believe the other two are greatly superior to all others.

But, I think the fact that if I see a guy using any kind of weight distribution/anti sway hitch, he's ahead of the game.

See you on the road,
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #66
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I been trying to figure out what that meant.

I give up. Please explain it to me.

Thanks,

Ken
Look close...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 007.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	854.1 KB
ID:	158045  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #67

Quote:
Look close...

Bob
I give up. I'm guessing that those two things that look like concrete paving stones are supposed to be somewhere else. However I don't know where.

Ken

On Edit: Never mind, I was making it too complicated. I'll bet they' re supposed be put away somewhere.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Another interesting poll would be: what hitch would you buy if you didn't have one?

Gene
That would be an excellent poll.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
Propride 3P with 1000 lb bars. I'd buy it again.
Pickerdd, I'm curious what TV are you using with your 23' Safari

Tnx
Old 05-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Pickerdd, I'm curious what TV are you using with your 23' Safari

Tnx
I tow with a 2008 V8 4WD 4Runner. The tongue weight on the Safari is pretty heavy, so the 3P (or something comparable) is necessary with my Safari/4Runner combination. I bought the 3P 2 years ago from Sean and I really like the stability since installing it with my 4Runner/Safari combination. I don't drive fast when towing (60-65) and get decent mileage (11-12) considering that I'm pulling 4k or so pounds of Airstream.

I consulted Andy Thomson about my Safari/4Runner combination and he said the 3P and the Hensley were excellent choices for my tow configuration. He also suggested reinforcing the receiver (the Toyota hitch is mediocre at best) and changing the tires with a set with stiffer sidewalls to reduce the vehicle sway.

It's not a combination I would recommend for everyone, but it works for me.

pickerdd is online now   Reply With Quote