Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What type of hitch do you use?
Just the ball 10 6.37%
Weight distribution with friction bar 32 20.38%
Equal-I-Zer 32 20.38%
Dual Cam 38 24.20%
Pullrite 0 0%
Pivot point projection (Hensley, Propride) 45 28.66%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #61
GaRoc

2011 27 FB International
Dawsonville , Georgia
ProPride with 100 lb bars
RoccoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Two words.....Buffalo Winters.
Couldn't figure out "Buffalo Winters", so I googled it. Then it hit me....Duh!!! Buffalo, NY. Am I nieve to such things, or what?

Last winter I don't think it ever froze here, but the winter before it was REALLY bad.....it froze THREE times!

But fortunately, it didn't hurt my ProPride!
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

.................................................. ..........

Oopp's...forgot the brakes.
I been trying to figure out what that meant.

I give up. Please explain it to me.

Thanks,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme
ProPride is a good unit, easier to use, however, my husband looked up the Patent and it was for a lighter duty trailer. Now they could have beefed up the hitch and maybe got another Patent but we have no information regarding that possibility. So I stand by my statement for now.
Okay, I just got done reading the patent and the only information about the weight issue is as follows:

"To accommodate different gross trailer weights, trailer hitches for light vehicles and trailers, such as autos, vans, SUV’s, and pickup trucks, are generally one of four ratings, divided into Classes I-IV. For the purposes of this patent application, gross trailer weight is defined as the weight of the trailer when it is fully loaded. Ordinarily, hitches are rated for 10% of gross trailer weight to be on the tongue, referred to as the tongue weight. For the purposes of this patent application, tongue weight is defined as the weight put on a hitch ball by a trailer coupler.
A Class I hitch comprises a framework attached to a tow vehicle including a ball mount and ball for attaching a trailer coupler. This Class is generally rated at 2,000 lb. gross trailer weight. In addition, the ball mount can be either fixed or removable.
A Class II hitch is similar to Class I, except that the rating is generally 3,500 lb. Like Class I, Class II can have either a fixed or removable ball mount.
A Class III hitch only uses a removable ball mount. This style of hitch is known as a “hitch receiver”. In addition to ball mounts, a hitch receiver can be used with other more complicated types of mounts.
A Class IV hitch is similar to Class III, except it is heavier duty. This Class may be rated as high as 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight."

So I'm assuming that the term "light vehicles and trailers" is to differentiate what we've got from something like a tractor-trailer that weighs 20 tons as opposed to 6 or 7. Technically speaking, even the F-450 is a light duty pickup if compared to the the FULL range of trucks.

Anywho, the sticker on my propride says it's good to 14,000 lbs and, after reading the patent, I don't see anything that contradicts that.

If you'd like to see for yourself it's here : http://www.google.com/patents?id=Fjn...tput=html_text

I apologize for dragging us further off topic but I thought that folks might appreciate knowing that their 3Ps are just dandy for any airstream out there!

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I tow my 34 foot Avion triple axle (grosses about 5 tons) with a 14,000lb capacity Equal-I-Zer. The 14,000 lb Eq and the 12,000lb Eq use the same bars, but the headstock on the 14,000lb model is heavier. It's a real battleship. I have had nothing but good times with this hitch.

That being said, when I hit the lottery I would buy either a Hensely or a Propride. Probably a Propride.

I'm a pretty decent physicist, and the math alone says these hitches are superior. People can argue all they want, but there is no better way to control sway (short of the new Slimp Dolley that I'm working on ) than these two hitches. It's very simple, just like the long arm/short arm suspension of a "double wishbone" sports car...you project the roll center. So if you can project the "turn center" (my choice of words) between the axles, you're way ahead of the game. That's what both of them do, and it's a really smart thing to do.

If I had no hitch right now, I'd probably buy a Pro-pride. I think the engineering is very sound and it's a great design. So is the older Arrow.

But, at least for me, the Eq is doing just fine and I already have it.

I have used a Reese Dual Cam in the past. It worked well too. Personally, I didn't like fighting with the greasy chains. But, once hitched up, it did work well.

What I really do not like to see is the F-150 or the Blazer 2 going down the road with the headlights pointing at the clouds as he pulls a 31 footer and the back end is about 3" off the pavement and he's just on the ball. You can get by with that with a 3/4 ton heavy duty, but not with a half ton.

For whatever it's worth, though, I thank those on this forum. Years ago when I went to buy my first trailer (a 1977 31' Excella) I didn't know a whole lot about hitches. I learned a LOT just by reading on here.

Maybe the "....win I hit the lottery...." statement was a tad unfair. I'm just strapped at the moment like many of us and the Eq is doing OK for now... I really believe the other two are greatly superior to all others.

But, I think the fact that if I see a guy using any kind of weight distribution/anti sway hitch, he's ahead of the game.

See you on the road,
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #66
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I been trying to figure out what that meant.

I give up. Please explain it to me.

Thanks,

Ken
Look close...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 007.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	854.1 KB
ID:	158045  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Look close...

Bob
I give up. I'm guessing that those two things that look like concrete paving stones are supposed to be somewhere else. However I don't know where.

Ken

On Edit: Never mind, I was making it too complicated. I'll bet they' re supposed be put away somewhere.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Another interesting poll would be: what hitch would you buy if you didn't have one?

Gene
That would be an excellent poll.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
Propride 3P with 1000 lb bars. I'd buy it again.
Pickerdd, I'm curious what TV are you using with your 23' Safari

Tnx
Old 05-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Pickerdd, I'm curious what TV are you using with your 23' Safari

Tnx
I tow with a 2008 V8 4WD 4Runner. The tongue weight on the Safari is pretty heavy, so the 3P (or something comparable) is necessary with my Safari/4Runner combination. I bought the 3P 2 years ago from Sean and I really like the stability since installing it with my 4Runner/Safari combination. I don't drive fast when towing (60-65) and get decent mileage (11-12) considering that I'm pulling 4k or so pounds of Airstream.

I consulted Andy Thomson about my Safari/4Runner combination and he said the 3P and the Hensley were excellent choices for my tow configuration. He also suggested reinforcing the receiver (the Toyota hitch is mediocre at best) and changing the tires with a set with stiffer sidewalls to reduce the vehicle sway.

It's not a combination I would recommend for everyone, but it works for me.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
David, thanks
Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Equalizer with 1000# bars ... ground to new contour with more flex to soften the ride from the 3/4T TV for the AS.

Jim, I agree totally ...
Quote:
What I really do not like to see is the F-150 or the Blazer 2 going down the road with the headlights pointing at the clouds as he pulls a 31 footer and the back end is about 3" off the pavement and he's just on the ball. You can get by with that with a 3/4 ton heavy duty, but not with a half ton.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Equalizer with 1000# bars ... ground to new contour with more flex to soften the ride from the 3/4T TV for the AS.
I've never heard/read of this technique... can you post some pix/commentary?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #74
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
I've never heard/read of this technique... can you post some pix/commentary?
Me too. I imagine you could grind down the middle of the bars so the ends would fit properly. If so, did you compare them to lighter weight bars to see if you created 800 or 600 lb. bars? What did you grind it with?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Not very scientific, but the 10k head & bars is what I thought I needed and what the dealer sold to me last year. Then, after reading about a HD TV and a harsh ride being detrimental to our AS trailer, I took it upon myself to read the research provided on this forum (thank you to the several true experts that provided "scientific" or empirical analysis as well as anecdotal personal experiences). Clearly, the 10k bars (1 3/8" square) do not provide the necessary flex (as do the lighter EQ brand bars as well as alternative manufacturers' bars) to our ~5k gross and ~631# hitch needs. So, rather than paying a small fortune to either buy the smaller bars and get the smaller bars bushed up to fit my head or to pay a machinist to "mill" my existing bars down to the 6k size of 1 1/4" square, I simply took out my angle grinder, marked the end points of my new "curve", drilled down (~1/16") in the middle of each side of the bars to mark the proper grinding depth (as a second guide to proper metal removal), and sat down and slowly ground down to the new gentle contour (~1 1/4") of the lighter weight bars. I mounted the spring bars to the head for an easy job and rotated the bars as necessary to access all four sides...checking measurements often with a cheap caliper to make sure that I didn't go down past the 1 1/4" dimension the middle of the spring bars. I surmised that a cross section which is now more rounded rather than perfectly square would likely give better results as far as energy absorbtion. Although there is likely a large acceptable / allowable margin for error, go slowly and YMMV;I am not responsible (disclaimer) for your results and do not suggest this for the faint of heart. It makes the re-paint job last much longer with the new surface (hand finish filed and sanded smooth ... read that - I have more time than money to spend; or, should I admit that I'm very frugal ... have to be to afford this particular AS selection).

The contour is slightly concave - deeper (to match the "diameter" of the factory spec lighter bar 1 1/4") in the middle of the spring bars and gradually transitions / contours at the ends to the original size (which is untouched for ~5" on each end - distance determined by a cardboard slider on the spring bar moved against the L-bracket for several outings). In my unscientific evaluation the bars are now significantly softer (somewhere between the 6 and 10k max load ... but still tending toward the 10k because they are only partially "contoured" / not milled the entire length) because I needed to adjust the L-bracket height (up one notch) as well as the head pitch downward (one more washer inserted) to give the recommended TV weight distribution. I am still fine tuning and use masking tape on the wheel well lips to mark the measurement vertical index; scales to follow. I can now usually adjust to weight / water / cargo load by simply moving the L-brackets. One note of caution is that after some screwing on and off, the nylock jam nuts securing the L-brackets no longer "lock" in place and should be checked often. This is a great hitch with nearly infinite adjustment for TV and AS configurations. Sorry for any errors, it is late; but I wanted to get a response to those who asked.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I have to stir the pot.

Hi, I think combining the Hensley with the Propride in the poll is like combining GMC to Chevrolet for the purpose of beating Ford. I don't need to vote; You-all know what I have.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #77
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think combining the Hensley with the Propride in the poll is like combining GMC to Chevrolet for the purpose of beating Ford. I don't need to vote; You-all know what I have.

I'm gonn'a go grind my barz now.....

Bob
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Finalcutjoe-

EXCELLENT web page!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Finalcutjoe-

EXCELLENT web page!
Thanks! My wife thinks I'm a dork
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks! My wife thinks I'm a dork
The pages I briefly looked at looked good, but it is time for dinner; gotta go. However, it is possible to have a cool web page and be a dork. Just be a happy dork, Joe.

I keep watching the poll results and looking for more Equalized people to show up and push (pull ?) past the others. I guess I'm too competitive.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote