View Poll Results: What type of hitch do you use?
Just the ball 10 6.37%
Weight distribution with friction bar 32 20.38%
Equal-I-Zer 32 20.38%
Dual Cam 38 24.20%
Pullrite 0 0%
Pivot point projection (Hensley, Propride) 45 28.66%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Some Info About Equilizer

Thought some of you Equilizer users might benefit from this.....met a guy this last weekend using an Equilizer hitch, and got to talking with him about his hitch. He said of course that he liked it, and especially since he fixed it from all the noise it made originally. Asked how, and he showed me he had installed additional clips on the top of the pins that prevented the pins from riding against the bars. He said it stopped all of the creaking and groaning it did in the turns, and I thought is was a very simple mod and fix. Hope this helps someone.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #30
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
ProPride with 1400# bars

Ken

Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Draw-Tite with 1000lb. bars
Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #32
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Update...

Just to give you an idea of how huge and massive (and freakin' HEAVY!!!) the Husky Centerline hitch head is, here is a picture of it in its box before installation, with my boot included for comparision. Keep in mind these boots are also huge and a size 12...the hitch makes my huge clob boots look small!

But, all in all...a GREAT hitch. If you like the ease and simplicity of the Equalizer, you'd love the Centerline...provided you're after less noise and better sway control.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Equal-I-Zer. I started out with a friction hitch, then got the dual cam, but sold the AS with the friction. Before I could try the dual cam, bought a SOB that came with the Equal-I-Zer. I added the pads, no notiable noise, and no sway, trucks passing me or me passing trucks. I even showed my wife how our truck drives while towing with no hands on the wheel (yikes).
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
Reese, it has two bars, but I'm not sure if it's a WD or not. Anyway, I'm new, and that's what I have! Boy have I got a lot to learn!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1112504355.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	630.0 KB
ID:	157934   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-122258750.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	611.5 KB
ID:	157935  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-239570014.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	696.9 KB
ID:	157936  
Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSeattle View Post
Reese, it has two bars, but I'm not sure if it's a WD or not. Anyway, I'm new, and that's what I have! Boy have I got a lot to learn!
It don't have no WD or sway control hooked up like that....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What are you hitched with?

Greetings AirSeattle!

Welcome to the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSeattle View Post
You have a modern version of the Reese Strait-Line Hitch with the HP Dual Cam Sway Control. It is a more complicated (IMHO) version of the classic Daul Cam with attachments points via large U-Bolts. Once properly adjusted the HP Dual Cam is every bit the equal (if not superior) to the classic version that is somewhat easier to adjust.

Enjoy your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Only after they fall out.

On our old style Reese I always pushed the friction bar ball clips all the way thru to the large end, do the same on the Hensley jack screw clips.

What hitch?

No weight transferred forward to the steering axle=white knuckles.

Bob
Reese WD. I bought it with the camper, and I found a bunch of separate issues in the hitch configuration: lifter bars way too loose, sway bar was basically a fashion accessory, breakaway cable routed through the chain, breakaway cable had been shortened with electrical crimps (the cable pulled out of the crimp, instead of the pin pulling out of the box...sigh), and the brackets weren't at the right location so the chains on the lifter bars weren't straight. It took me a while, doing a bit at a time, but now it feels like a completely different rig, and I've been in tighter situations than what caused that initial sway without even a wiggle. And the new breakaway cable will actually pull the pin out of the box...what a concept.

When it happened I was thinking, "What monster did I buy?" But I knew it wasn't supposed to do that either. I tightened the sway at the next stop and then adjusted as I described above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
It does when they're so close to the bumper of the TV. I had to do a sharp 180 degree turn and as I hit full lock I heard the clip ping as the open end caught the bumper and it flew off, sadly I know not where. Turn them around the other way and they're forced on rather than off if they contact the bumper. Also, if it's a case of up and down, the open end should face down, just to have a little bit of extra help from Mr Gravity.

By such events, much is learned :~)
LOL - I usually put the rear pin in facing down anyway because it's easier. I didn't think about the front one though, although I will say I see it sticking out when I'm stepping over the hitch and think, "I'm going to catch on that!"

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Propride 3P with 1000 lb bars. I'd buy it again.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Sorry, Could not vote in your poll, my hitch was not included. Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch. I have no idea how it compares with other WD hitchs as I have never used one before this purchase. All I know is that it works.
Nuts. Thought I had 'em all covered.

I watched the video at manufacturer website. At first I thought it was a variation on the Equal-I-Zer... but it looks like the chains provide the WD, and the anti-sway happens in the sleeve at the ball.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Nuts. Thought I had 'em all covered.

I watched the video at manufacturer website. At first I thought it was a variation on the Equal-I-Zer... but it looks like the chains provide the WD, and the anti-sway happens in the sleeve at the ball.
From talking to Dave Anderson I believe that is mostly correct. A large part of the dampening also happens in the urethane bushings. This WD hitch is a whole new concept and way of looking at WD and sway control. I am not an engineer and have limited to no experience with prior use of WD hitches. The difference between not using the unit and using it is instantly noticeable and seems to work very well for my trailer and TV combination. Instillation and set up is very straight forward and can be done by anyone with basic tools and the ability to read simple instructions.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Hensley and only Hensley. Had a Reese dual cam, it did not do the job when needed it the most. Its ok to its limits, then it is useless.
Get a Hensley and be safe.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Hensley and only Hensley. Had a Reese dual cam, it did not do the job when needed it the most. Its ok to its limits, then it is useless.
Get a Hensley and be safe.
Sorry, StreamNTyme, I don't believe your statement to be 100% correct because the ProPride eliminates sway just as the Hensley, works on the same principle as the Hensley, was actually designed by Mr Hensley, and is easier to install and use.

I too had a Reese, and I am in agreement with your statement about it's performance.