Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, the way I understand it, is that 4th is the overdrive gear and will downshift more frequently when in the overdrive gear selection.

I've seen many of the reasons about not towing in overdrive. I think, (and don't hold me to this) that the only real difference in the tow/haul is that it changes the shift points and does not allow as much hunting as a vehicle that does not have the tow/haul mode. That said, the truck still tows in overdrive, it's just modified by the tow/haul button I believe.

At any rate, were taking it out on a few shake downs soon and will get about 80 or 90 miles each trip of real world input.

I'll let you know if my poor 4L60E can hang with it's more robust 4L80E brother. I sure hope so, as I have sort of bet the farm that this car will deal with the Safari for 3 or 4 years (hopefully without a bunch of trans rebuilds)!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:00 AM   #22
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
So Eric.

Am I correct to assume that when towing the Bambi on an expressway, I should keep the Trans. selector at 3?

My set up: Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, 3, 2, and 1.

Would I ever want to go to Drive?

Thanks.

Clevis Pulley
Old 04-22-2004, 10:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Not in O/D

Drive is O/D. I highly recommend using "3". Also, never put your tranny in nuetral to coast down hills, etc, thinking you'll save gas mileage...that stops the tranny fluid from circulating, and you'll blow out your transmission, at least that what Chevy told me.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It really depends on the car as torque converters lock differently on different brands and models.

The Impala SS has P R N D D 2 1

The first D allows the car to go into 4th gear and will downshift faster than if placed in the second D which is 3rd.

My guess is that if I'm in the first D, which is the overdrive gear (4th), and my TC is locked, I will still have fluid moving around as needed, the trans will stay cool, but if it starts to hunt on hills and such, go into regular D which in my case is 3rd.

See the issue is that I have 3.73s and if I stay in 3rd at say 60 or 65, the RPMs, even with 17" rims is high, thus the overdrive (4th) that keeps the RPMs down. My torque converter locks at 51mph.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote