Old 02-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

weight distribution system

Does anyone know why the owners manuel for my 94 LWB Range Rover says
"an equalizing or other form of weight distributing hitch should not be used with
a Range Rover".

It has an air suspension system which can be "inhibited" during towing.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

The Range Rover was originally engineered as a farm vehicle
Then the fire dept. , police, military, and explorers jumped on the band wagon. They had Airstreamlike fan loyalty.
When Jeep started making the Cherokee , many
manufacturers started making their "off road " vehicles more
like cars. It does seem strange that R.R. would use designs
that would limit towing capacity, unless that model is meant to be a Soccer Mom Rig.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

I called the factory today to try and clear this but ended up more confused! I have a similar model from 95 and they said that the air suspension is only self-levelling on the Discovery. On the P38 Range Rover the suspension will just go into standard ride height.

I wouldn't be surprised if the factory don't know how to advise on this, so I would recommend this site where you will find advice on Towing with a Range Rover:
http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/rrtowing.htm#mk2

There you can read that the vehicle is self levelling and a load equalizing hitch is not recommended.

Best regards from Frankfurt, Tony
Old 02-20-2004, 10:11 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Anton-
Are you pulling an Airstream with your Rover? If so, what size?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

I am taking my time to choose, I have a retainer on a '69 31ft Sovereign and will be looking at a '62 22ft Flying Cloud. The 31ft will only be towed a couple of times - that one is to be my russian "Dacha", the 22ft would travel.

I should mention too that I have only towed once before and am still learning the ropes. Looking at getting a sway control, maybe I can transfer it from the 31ft to the 22ft once the Dacha is on location.

What are you experiences towing with the Range Rover?

Best, Tony
Old 02-20-2004, 11:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Good article on the Ranger towing setup.

The article notes the concern about weight being taken off the front axle. To me that is going to be the limiting factor. A secondary concern is making certain that the rear axle does not exceed its GAWR.

This is one case where a Hensley hitch might be preferred as it does not depend upon spring bar loading to aid in handling.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

We have been towing a 6 x 10 foot utility trailer for years with first our '89 Rover, and then our "94. We had the trailer loaded up with our booth to do trade shows and it is quite heavy, and the Rover we felt was a very solid towing vehicle.

We also have just gotten a "90 short wheel base Rover. The engine is only a 3.9 (I think) V8 as opposed to a 4.2 V8 in the '94. The towing capacity is 1000 lbs less than the 94, at 5500, our trailer is 4500 dry. But the '90 doesn't have air suspension.
Even thou it doesn't the manuel STILL says a weight equalizing hitch should not be used with a Range Rover.

One reason we are considering using the '90 and beefing it up to be our tow vehicle, is just to keep the other car from having the wear and tear, and maybe ruining its air suspension.

Anton, I am not sure about the switching the the sway bars, we are not there yet. But our feeling is if you go slow and use a lower gear maybe you will be able to move your 31' (make sure you have the electric brakes connected thou!).

Most of our towing will be about an hour from our house, to the beach. That's why we are bent on using one of our Rovers. For longer distance, we also have a
1954 26' that is much lighter weight and we plan to gut it and make it an open space basically with just a bathroom and an airbed.

I think you will be fine with your flying cloud. We have been considering the Hensley hitch that Leipper recommends.

Which Rover should we choose?
Old 02-20-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Hi Maryszka!

Funny that, we've both got the same two Range Rovers!
I have a 1990 3.9SE with a supercahrger, tow and handling kit. Alot of power, tons of torque, but the downside is the rear overhang is long, wheelbase is short and even with suspension/handling kit it wallows around like an upside down turtle.
The 1995 is a DSE and I am waiting to try towing with it before I sell the other. The DSE has alot less power on paper, but has that great BMW engine. It seems to out perform the 3.9SE. That could be subjective. I just love it :-)

We are lucky to have the choice, try both!

Best, Tony

P.S. I like your idea of an open plan Airstream. I always feel like I'm shut in a cupboard when I go inside the fitted out ones.