Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Weight distribution hitch not needed

Most Airstreams towed by larger pick-ups don't need a weight distribution hitch. The reason is that the unloaded truck typically has most of it's weight, 55-60%, over the front wheels. Considering that the truck will handle best with equal load on the front and rear axles, adding load to the hitch ball will actually result in a better balance by increasing the rear axle load and lowering the front axle load by leverage. A weight distribution hitch that transfers load to the already higher loaded front axle will not improve your handling, and may even make it worse.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
See comment on the other thread.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This post will start a war for sure.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
This post will start a war for sure.
LOL. The people vs the hitch suppliers.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I agree. We use a Ram 3500 srw mega cab 4x4 Cummins and tow on the ball only.

Truck actually drives smoother and better with the trailer attached. Airstream tows perfectly.

We even forgot to dump the dogs water bowl once and no water spilled during travel.

Truck and airstream level and no extra trouble hooking up bars or chains plus no added weight.

My truck actually weighs more than my airstream. Makes a very good stable setup. As mentioned you don't need A hitch that transfers weight to the front of a diesel truck because there is plenty of weight up front already and it's not good to transfer weight to your trailer axles if not needed.

I have used WD hitches with prior Airstream truck combos and agree they are needed with lighter truck /SUV's.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
This analysis is fine for static loads when the rig is not in motion. But when the combined tow vehicle and trailer combination is moving down the road, the analysis is lacking IMO, and perhaps a bit naive.

One of the main functions of a weight distribution hitch is to dampen the up-and-down motions of the two vehicles, which on certain roads operate in a bad synchronicity, which actually exaggerates off-kilter motion.

Hard to put into words, but you know what I mean. There are tons of posts in many threads which discuss this other function of a WD hitch.

The expansion joints in concrete Interstate highways can set up quite a harmonic bounce if you hit them at just the right speed, and a good WD hitch will dampen or eliminate that harmonic bouncing.

This added benefit of a WD hitch will apply even to a rig such as the OP has.

Let the hitch dialogue start all over again !!!

Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Gold Canyon , Arizona
I'll offer my real life experience in another week. We're heading to the Bay Area to pick up our new 28 International Sig. I drive a 2017 F350 diesel and will use a ball mount only on the 900 mile return trip. It's a weigh safe hitch so I'll get a very good tongue weight reading from the hitch.

Like the RAM 3500, the truck outweighs the trailer fully loaded. We'll be mindful about loading and see how it goes. I originally planned to take a ProPride with me and install it myself prior to delivery but changed my mind when the service mgr at AS told me I won't even know the trailer is there. The '17 Ford SD has built in sway damping electronics as well.

Time will tell - if needed I'll install the 3P in the comfort of my heated shop with level floors.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
This analysis is fine for static loads when the rig is not in motion. But when the combined tow vehicle and trailer combination is moving down the road, the analysis is lacking IMO, and perhaps a bit naive.

One of the main functions of a weight distribution hitch is to dampen the up-and-down motions of the two vehicles, which on certain roads operate in a bad synchronicity, which actually exaggerates off-kilter motion.

Hard to put into words, but you know what I mean. There are tons of posts in many threads which discuss this other function of a WD hitch.

The expansion joints in concrete Interstate highways can set up quite a harmonic bounce if you hit them at just the right speed, and a good WD hitch will dampen or eliminate that harmonic bouncing.

Dampening is a good thing, but not all WD hitches dampen. In fact the hitch spring can actually increase the oscillation problem. Furthermore, if the road causes the rig to bounce that will take even more load off the rear axle and the reduced traction will be bad for sway control. You will be best off with equal load on the trucks axles.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:

Sorry but in real life this is not true. I have a 26U which has one of the highest tongue weights and have never experienced anything like you described.

I understand this is a touchy subject. People who have never towed with a heavy duty truck on the ball will never agree with us that do.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Take this for what it's worth, but I've towed trailers all over the country and never used a WD hitch. 6 Trips from Florida to Colorado with a small enclosed trailer, a sailboat to the keys, a flatbed with a car on it across country. Never once did I worry about sway.
Suddenly, those with AS not only have WD hitches, but they have their slide rules out to argue WHICH WD hitch is sufficient.

I'm getting a WD hitch for the AS (when it arrives) But I'm not in the "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing." camp.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
Most Airstreams towed by larger pick-ups don't need a weight distribution hitch. The reason is that the unloaded truck typically has most of it's weight, 55-60%, over the front wheels. Considering that the truck will handle best with equal load on the front and rear axles, adding load to the hitch ball will actually result in a better balance by increasing the rear axle load and lowering the front axle load by leverage. A weight distribution hitch that transfers load to the already higher loaded front axle will not improve your handling, and may even make it worse.
Please provide the info, or a link to the info, where your research bears this claim to be true, so we can verify a claim made by a random guy with virtually no history on this forum, and what appears to be their only contributions to this forum seems to be repeatedly restating these claims.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Ram 2500 with Cummins diesel:
unloaded- 62% load on front axle, 38% load on rear axle
loaded with 1000 lb. on the ball- 51% load on front axle, 49% on rear axle.

No need for WD hitch.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I'm sure 1 ton trucks don't need weight distribution.
Possibly 3/4 ton trucks don't need weight distribution.
My Tundra 1/2 ton most definitely needs weight distribution.
1 ton trucks with dual rear wheels may not need sway control, either.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 03-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
The question then is, is an F150 and similar half tons (suitably equipped), what you would call a 'larger pickup'?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
This post needs some serious clarification for the casual reader. I can tell you that pulling my 25 FB with about 1,200 pounds on the tongue needs weight distribution for my Yukon. Trying to pulling it without is insanity. If you pull with a 350 or a semi that may be an entirely different story but please don't encourage folks to head out on the road without knowing exactly what they are handling.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:

"Hard to put into words......."
Perhaps the words you might be looking for are: TV and AS bounces are 'out of phase', which on my Hi'Lo caused the rig to jerk back and forth.
It broke a Husky. Hitch, replaced under warranty and reinforced by me to accept the jerking.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Dampening is a good thing, but not all WD hitches dampen. In fact the hitch spring can actually increase the oscillation problem. Furthermore, if the road causes the rig to bounce that will take even more load off the rear axle and the reduced traction will be bad for sway control. You will be best off with equal load on the trucks axles.
You clearly do not understand all the physics involved in everything a WD hitch does, and it is not worth my time to debate this with you.

Good day, sir.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You still need sway control. F350 trucks might be ok without the weight distribution hitch. I think it wise to get it weighed so you know what the weight distribution is on all 4 wheels with the trailer attached. Pickups usually have 70% or more weight on the front wheels empty. This may even go up with 4 wheel drive diesels. A big diesel engine is a great counter balance. Now if you have a large payload in the bed of a 350 and a trailer with a lot of tongue weight, you probably need weight distribution. I know my Excursion needs weight distribution but it has relatively soft springs compared to a truck and it has much better weight distribution empty.

Perry
Old 03-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by denton View Post
The question then is, is an F150 and similar half tons (suitably equipped), what you would call a 'larger pickup'?
It depends on the load. The goal is to get equal loading on both axles. A 1/2 ton truck with a small enough tongue load probably does not benefit from a WD hitch.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Tupelo , Mississippi
Keep in mind that there is one more factor to be considered in this discussion. Many receiver hitches are not rated for the tongue weight of an Airstream without the use of a weight distribution hitch. A receiver hitch's "weight carrying" capacity is usually half of its "weight distribution" capacity. Readers need to always consult the data-tag on their receiver hitch in making the decision whether to use a weight distribution hitch or not.
Closed Thread