Old 04-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Shepherdsville , Kentucky
Weight distribution hitch

We towed our Argosy 22' about 1000 miles last year on interstate and back roads without a weight distribution hitch and had no problems at all. I have a WDH and am trying to decide whether to use it or not. Our tow vehicle is a 2012 Ram 1500 with Hemi. Do you always use WDH with these smaller and lighter trailers? Tom

Old 04-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you are happy with the ride of your rig, then continue doing what you are doing. In our case I felt our Caravel rode better behind our E150 van without weight distribution. The 250-ish pounds of tongue weight on the ball of the van was not enough to worry about shifting forward, the rig looked level when all hooked up. We have towed that way for years. We do always hook up the friction sway control bar.

This is our own personal experience, and I am not saying anyone else should do what I do! You should do what works best for you. Every trailer, and every tow vehicle combination will be a unique situation. If you have a WDH already, you could hook it up and see how it performs. You might like it even better.

We are switching to a smaller tow vehicle this year, and I plan to get a lightweight WD setup for it, as I have been told by others who tow with the new vehicle that it will improve ride and handling.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The big advantage to a WDH is just that, to distribute the tongue weight evenly on front and rear tow vehicle axles. What is the tongue weight of the trailer? When properly adjusted the trailer and tow vehicle should be level.

But, what do you do about sway and fishtailing?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
You can install sway control without the expense of a WD hitch. Jim
Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Shepherdsville , Kentucky
I haven't had a problem with sway but I have ordered a Reese sway bar and will use it even if I don't use WDH. I have a Reese WDH with 750# bars and my tongue weight is, I'm guessing, 400# to 450#. Would these bars be too stiff for this trailer? I also have a double cam system but no bars.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I haven't had a problem with sway but I have ordered a Reese sway bar and will use it even if I don't use WDH. I have a Reese WDH with 750# bars and my tongue weight is, I'm guessing, 400# to 450#. Would these bars be too stiff for this trailer? I also have a double cam system but no bars.
Try having a ride in the back end of your Argosy without using anything but a ball.

Then tow it at the highway speeds of 70 mph for about 10 miles, around curves etc.

After the trailer stops, make sure you remembered where you stored the booze, because stats say "you WILL need it".

That then answers your own question.

Load equalizing hitches and sway controls that have a brain, like the Reese dual cam, serve a very useful purpose.

They are for YOUR safety, your passengers safety, who also are not aware of the risks you are taking, and for anyone else on the road.

Should you "not" be properly equipped and lose control of your rig and hurt someone, anattorney will take you to the cleaners for maybe the rest of your life.

Why?

For being on the road towing a trailer, with unsafe rigging, which is very easily proven.

BE SAFE NOT SORRY.

Andy
Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Using a hitch that was too heavy-duty (probably rated for a heavier tongue weight - I bought it used and there were no markings to indicate what it was) actually resulted in rivets popping out of my trailer after every trip for about the first three years we had it. I replaced the rivets, quit using that WDH, and have not lost any more. So if you do use a WDH, make sure it is rated for approximately the tongue weight you actually have. My personal experience is that this is an area where 'bigger' isn't 'better'.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Tom.... Using the right WDH, adjusted correctly, will only add goodness to your towing experience.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
ffrick

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Centerville , Massachusetts
In 2011 we took our 6.0 minuet from Cape Cod to California with just a 2 5/16 ball hitch. We also had our TV (2006 Tundra) loaded with necessary items. It handled ok but it bounced under certain situations. Half way back across the country we ran into strong storms, and wind, so I became concerned about the safety of the tow. I stopped and put on the hitch with the WDH. After having driven over 6,000 miles without it, I realized OMG, what was I thinking. The ride was so much better, and the leveling of everything was such a relief. That was when I was really inexperienced. Never again. I always use the WDH now!
FFRick
Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would definitely use a WD hitch with that trailer.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
I did not bother hooking up the Andersen since I was just taking LaTortuga across town and the height was going to change due to the new axles, but I really noticed the weight shifting as I braked and accelerated. I cannot imagine not having a WDH!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
" . . We are switching to a smaller tow vehicle this year, and I plan to get a lightweight WD setup for it, as I have been told by others who tow with the new vehicle that it will improve ride and handling."

Ask Andrew Thomson of CAN AM RV (London, ON) for some tips. IMO, the short, single axle TT's deserve attention as things are a bit different than the more usual tandems. Experience and insight will be of help.

Conventional wisdom is that a TT that size (low ball mass) won't need WDH. Ask anyway before spending money. I'd want it, but exactly what for the TV and the TT to make things work best.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Might not need WD but should have sway control. Jim
Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
My policy has is to use WD on any trailer bigger than a Bambi even though I have a truck rated to tow 18K pounds.
I consider the WD more important than sway control. I spent ten years delivering trailers to dealers and none of these used sway control as it is an aftermarket device but we did use weight distribution.

They biggest thing you will notice with WD is a lot less porpoising on bad stretches of road and your headlights point where they are supposed to

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote