Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Question Weight Distribution Bars-Avoiding a mess

I haven't seen this question before, so thought I'd ask...What do you all do with your WD bars and sway control after you have unhooked for a weekend excursion?

I used to set mine across the battery box on the tongue of my Safari but I just changed that out to a dual 6V Blue Sea box with a crowned lid and can no longer do it. Besides, the WD bars are either getting all junked up with dirt or my kids and dog decide to grease themselves up with the lube on the bars or the hitch ball.

Any creative ideas out there on how to temporarily store those WD bars and sway control without grease staining something?

Jace
Old 04-23-2003, 09:38 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bambi could take them in one of the storage compartments. The Reese system cost me about $800 installed. I would not leave them lying around.

If storing them in the camper is not possible, then I'd keep them in the car/truck.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Lightbulb Special jack pad

Although it has already sold, you might want to check out this idea on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34287

Or,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34287
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Those stands look nice!! However, personal experience has shown me Silvertwinkie speaks with wisdom and common sense.

Been ripped off twice - once for *one* wd bar, next time actual hitchpin itself (thank GOODNESS for "walkaround inspection" prior to departing). Started storing "hitch works" under galley when not in use (even while occupying trailer). Found slim, low-profile wooden box w/lid at the flea mkt; holds bars, hitch, pin, assorted clips, rags, WD40 - nicely, neatly inside either inside truck or trailer. Well organized, clean - and no worries!!
Old 04-24-2003, 02:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

We need to keep sand and dirt away from the greasy ends, and we don't want to lose the bits. I take 3 Wal-Mart plastic bags, and pop the greasy end of each bar in a separate bag . I then slide the bar, bag end last, into the underbody storage for the sewage pipe, but from the door side. The friction control also goes in the third bag in the same storage, which is secured with 4 marine grade padlocks. These bars are heavy, cumbersome, and greasy, and my solution is not ideal, but it's the best I've been able to think up so far. Nick
Old 04-24-2003, 08:01 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Rear bumper storage

They will fit nicely in the rear bumper storage. My sewer hose is in a tube underneath, so the rear bumper storage is mostly empty. I keep a couple of small padlocks on it.

The sway bar will go in there, also.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:13 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's a great idea. My only concern would be adding the small locks to it (not that it doesn't need it). I would think that would be an advertisment for something good inside and those clips could be hacked off fairly simply. Normally, who would care right? But a loss of one or both bars would have serious issues for a trip home if they were lifted while away from home.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea very, very much. But until I can't fit the hitch and the bars in the Bambi's rear storage, I think that's when I might have to look closer at the bumper storage idea and take my chances if they don't/can't fit in the trunk of the car.

Eric
Old 04-24-2003, 10:29 AM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Bumper storage

The small padlocks are to prevent any small pilferage while the trailer is at the storage yard or when it is unattended while on the road. I figure if someone wants into the bumper compartment, bad enough, they'll get in; all it would take is a big screwdriver. OTOH, I think most thieves are far too lazy to tackle anything that takes very much thought or effort.

I have travelled for years (including Mexico) with small padlocks on various things and I have never had a problem.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 11:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I don't mess with the spring bars... they stay in the hitch and connected to the screw jacks. I do take the drop bar out of the receiver on the truck though.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:38 PM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
I don't mess with the spring bars... they stay in the hitch and connected to the screw jacks. I do take the drop bar out of the receiver on the truck though.
moe

good one, i was gonna suggest the same for people with standard wd set ups.

leave the whole thing in the hitch, lock the ball and both of the chains with padlocks.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:06 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yes, but does that not allow a person like me to take my car and just pull up to your A/S and take the whole thing.

I mean if I got the B**ls, and the engine, why waste time with just the bars when I can have the whole thing?

Just thinkin' like a south or west sider from around here.

Eric
Old 04-25-2003, 05:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Not if they had a receiver lock through the drawbar.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
OK. I was going to take a picture of what I do but I have not so I will try to describe it.

My father (previous owner) put two hooks on each side of the tongue to hang the bars on. The 'L' part toward the trailer which leaves the chains hanging by the jack.

Whenever I leave the trailer at home, I take the chains and padlock them with the padlock shank going through the ball receiver lock on the tongue (what is that called?). This way the ball receiver is closed and the chains are secure. Now someone could disconnect the chains but I am hoping to slow them down. I also have a expanding wheel chock that is padlocked for stability and security.

When we leave the trailer somewhere and travel around with the tow vehicle, I put my hitch ball unit INSIDE the tongue ball receiver (there it is again!) and do the locking method as above. For good measure I also put my hitch receiver lock on the hitch ball unit.

My thinking with this is:

1. The wheel chock makes it hard to move the trailer.
2. With the bars padlocked they are harder to steal and less appealing.
3. With the ball receiver closed (only), it is more difficult to put the correct sized ball in there although a smaller one would work.
4. With my hitch in the tongue and locked, it is near impossible to put a ball in there but the hitch could go into a vehicle receiver.
5. With my vehicle receiver lock on my hitch it is near impossible to put in another vehicles receiver.

I know that if someone wants it bad enough they can do it. I am just trying to make it tough enough for them to move on.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Jace -

I keep mine (and my friction-type sway bar) in the back of my truck (which has a cap over the bed) on 2 U-shaped metal brackets that I made which hang on the inside of the bed just below the bed rail, and I secure them with bungie cords. That way, they're up and out of the way, dry, and secure (since I normally keep my cap locked when I'm not there).

John
Old 04-25-2003, 01:08 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
Not if they had a receiver lock through the drawbar.
Good point.

Eric
Old 11-24-2004, 10:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Thenewkid64 shared a design feature of my Reese Weight Distributing Hitch at the Blues Springs Forum Rally a couple of weeks ago. The spring bars have a hole in the drawbar side which just happens to be the same diameter as the adjustment chains' U-bracket "lifting pin" (the part where I use a cheater pipe to snap the bracket into position).

This picture shows the bars in their stored position.

Thanks Brett!
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:05 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
I don't lock them up and don't worry about it - life is too short. Although maybe if I had a Hensley I would! I just have a simple Eaz-lift system. When I'm camped I have a foot-long 2x4 that I stand on it's side under the tongue, and another small 1x4 and I simply hang the corner end of the bars over the 2x4, with the greasy part resting on the small board. The drop bar ass'y comes out of the receiver and goes under the front of the trailer. At home it all goes under the back end of the trailer, pretty much out of sight. I have left my trailer for a week at a time in RV parks - never a problem.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

I use the cheap plastic disposable mitts the ones that you use when pumping diesel.
When finished removing the WD bars I grab the grease end and slide the mitt over end of the bar and put them in the rear slide drawer. I have clean hands and the inside of the clean mitts keep the grease fron getting on stuff.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

On my 2004 Bambi I put everything in the back storage compartment. Fits really well even though the compartment is not that wide it is deep.
ardenrj is offline   Reply With Quote