Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Weight distribution bars

I am towing a 20' Safari with a 2008 Durango and use a hitch with WD bars. I was taught to put them on by hitching up to the TV and then using the tongue jack to lift both the AS and the TV up high enough to provide adequate slack to connect the bars. Two questions: 1) any danger of damage to my Durango or hitch receiver by doing this? 2) won't this eventually burn out my electric tongue jack? These are the kinds of things that keep me awake at night.
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
No problem for the jack

You want to lift the combination enough that setting the chains is not an effort.

Now as far as setting the system to the correct chain link.
I have instruction on how to do this but they are too big for a PM. If you send me a PM with your e mail address I will sent them.

HowieE

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
That method is OK, but I don't find it necessary. Using the pipe/ lever that comes with the hitch gives me enough leverage. Maybe someone without the arm strength would be better off using the electric jack. In any event there are plenty of folks out there with hand crank jacks. I can't see using a hand jack to attach the bars in most circumstances.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bale View Post
I am towing a 20' Safari with a 2008 Durango and use a hitch with WD bars. I was taught to put them on by hitching up to the TV and then using the tongue jack to lift both the AS and the TV up high enough to provide adequate slack to connect the bars. Two questions: 1) any danger of damage to my Durango or hitch receiver by doing this? 2) won't this eventually burn out my electric tongue jack? These are the kinds of things that keep me awake at night.
This is the bit that me and Mrs Toad dislike most about towing. It's horrible to see your car jacked up like that and it didn't help that the very first time we went to unhitch, the jack's fuse blew. (It hasn't blown again so I can only assume it was a bad fuse).

Somebody on here did post an alternative method, which I can't quite recall at the moment, but it didn't work for us.

So, we have a collective wince each time we have to lift the vehicle on the jack but hey, not only is this the method described in the Airstream manuals, it really does work.

By the by, our weight distribution package is set to perfection (says this satisfied Can Am RV customer).

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
I too wondered about the wisdom of using the electric jack to raise the back of the truck until I saw that the capacity of the jack is 3,500 pounds. Since the body is being lifted only slightly, I figure I am well below the limit of the jack.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Weight Distribution Bars

Thanks to all of you for reassuring me! I will sleep better tonight.
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
What I did with our 63 Safari..(manual jack)

Drop hitch on ball to line-up....crank back up, tension bars and drop back on.

With Cloudsplitter I just use a cordless drill/driver on the haha tension jacks.

Bob