Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Weight Distribution and Tongue Weight

Today I found myself in a discussion regarding towing and I wanted to hear from the voice of experience to help me settle the arguement.

Basically the question is this: Does using a weight distributing hitch allow you to pull a trailer with a tongue weight exceeding the vehicle manufacturer's tongue weight rating.

For example:
Vehicle: Towing Capacity 5000lbs, Max tongue weight 500lbs
Trailer: Weight: 4000lbs, tongue weight 700lbs
is this combination acceptable if a properly set up weight distributing hitch is used?
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I can't speak for all manufacturers, but GM products give two ratings for tongue weight maximums. One w/o WD and one with WD. And the WD maximum is higher than the non-WD rating.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois

For example, here is a Chevy Silverado
1500. 2500 and 3500 have the same rating for both types of hitches.

Weight of the Trailer Tongue

The tongue load (A) of any trailer is very important because it is also part of the vehicle weight. The Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) includes the curb weight of the vehicle, any cargo carried in it, and the people who will be riding in the vehicle as well as trailer tongue weight. Vehicle options, equipment, passengers and cargo in the vehicle reduce the amount of tongue weight the vehicle can carry, which will also reduce the trailer weight the vehicle can tow. See “ Vehicle Load Limits” for more information about the vehicle's maximum load capacity.

Trailer tongue weight (A) should be 10 to 15 percent and fifth-wheel or gooseneck kingpin weight should be 15 to 25 percent of the loaded trailer weight up to the maximums for vehicle series and hitch type.

Vehicle Series

Hitch Type

Maximum Tongue Weight

Weight Carrying

363 kg (800 lb)

Weight Distributing

499 kg (1,100 lb)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Another example, this one different

I have just been reading a the owner's manual for a different vehicle, the GMC Yukon Denali (half ton version). That manual has a table showing a higher allowable weight for a weight-distributing hitch:

Vehicle Series Hitch Type Maximum Tongue Weight
1500 Weight Carrying 272 kg (600 lbs)
1500 Weight Distributing 499 kg (1,100 lbs)

Hope this helps.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
If you are thinking of setting up your Flex to tow the 23 Safari it will work very well with weight distribution. We have a few dozen of these in service and they are a great tow vehicle, very stable and economical to operate. However the hitch receiver on the Flex is not strong enough to transfer weight properly, this is a common problem even on receivers that are rated for more weight. The good news is that it is fairly simple to strengthen it so that it can transfer weight quite nicely.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Head over to London, ON, Aldean. Get the hitch receiver squared away / modified by those folks at CAN AM.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Red! Your avatar is all crookedy!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Red! Your avatar is all crookedy!
Yeah, new TT pic "correction" and the need to also change my "name". Upgrade membership. Contact a moderator. Stuff I haven't gotten around to, yet.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

"Basically the question is this: Does using a weight distributing hitch allow you to pull a trailer with a tongue weight exceeding the vehicle manufacturer's tongue weight rating."

In a word.....No.

As noted it's the hitch receiver that is load rated.

It's the AXLE & TIRE, (trlr and TV) ratings that determine the weight being towed. I see no upside in exceeding either.

Bob
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
What Bob said is the correct answer, it's the hitch that's rated for the weight not just the vehicle itself. While the hitch load/weight rating is probably below the real specification, a more beefy hitch would improve your odds of having a problem. Most over weight hitch problems result in a weld failing , or hitch bolt breaking, and then you are on your safety chains. Either way, it would not be pretty. The smaller the hitch, the less weight it can handle and margin of error increases.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Kind of reluctant to get into this because of how most tow vehicle vs weight/towing capacity discussions go, but there are actually several weight ratings on tow vehicles, and hitch weights both with and without weight distribution is just a couple of them. Although I would not want to exceed any vehicle weight ratings, especially hitch weight ratings, it seems to me the axle weight ratings are also very important, followed by max payload, and then towing capacity.

Just because a person might install a higher capacity rated receiver hitch on a tow vehicle, does not mean the rest of the vehicle can/will handle the weight. Vehicle manufacturers spend lots of money paying highly educated engineers to calculate these weight ratings, so it seems to me, at least, that they are important.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Head over to London, ON, Aldean. Get the hitch receiver squared away / modified by those folks at CAN AM.
I absolutely agree with this -- Andrew T is the PhD of hitch minds.

REDNAX - I rotated your avatar. The rotation probably was caused by EXIF orientation data in iPhones & iPads that non-Apple systems can't interpret. Sometimes a Windoze machine is good for sumpin'. Wish they'd all get on the same page.

Username changes are only done through the Help Desk -- click 'Contact Us' at page bottom and tell us who you'd rather be. Painless...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post

REDNAX - I rotated your avatar.
Looks better. REDNAX is a straight up kinda guy and deserves to have a straight up Avatar.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
If you are thinking of setting up your Flex to tow the 23 Safari it will work very well with weight distribution. We have a few dozen of these in service and they are a great tow vehicle, very stable and economical to operate. However the hitch receiver on the Flex is not strong enough to transfer weight properly, this is a common problem even on receivers that are rated for more weight. The good news is that it is fairly simple to strengthen it so that it can transfer weight quite nicely.

Andrew T
Thanks Andrew, I was planning to add a brace from the hitch to the subframe, but that can wait until the snow melts.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Thanks for all the good input,

The arguement was wether the weight distributing hitch allowed you to exceed the rating of the vehicle/hitch.

Of course the more I look in to these things the more bad information I find.

The Ford Flex Towing manual shows only one tongue weight rating, and it indicates you must use a weight distributing hitch.

My Tundra Manual provides no information on tongue weight at all!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Vehicle manufacturers spend lots of money paying highly educated engineers to calculate these weight ratings, so it seems to me, at least, that they are important.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. However, the engineer's calculations are only the start of a process that gets more bungled as each department adds their expertise. The engineers design stuff to work properly. Then the beanies reject the design because it is too expensive and make other engineers change the design to make it cheaper. Then the lawyers have a peak at it and fiddle with the specifications to make sure there will be no liability even if the contraption gets sucked into outer space by aliens. And then the marketing guys put some kind of spin on the resulting mess in order to attract even the most Leary customer. That's where we come. The sales guy takes stock of us and proceeds to tell you what ever is necessary to ensure a commission deposit into his jeans. So now we have a one ton diesel dragging around a 16' Bambi or a Mini Cooper towing a 34' Classic. The specifications have become irrelevant, which is why no insurance company in the US has reneged on paying a claim due to a vehicle towing a trailer that has exceeded the manufacturer's "tow rating". So no wonder its hard to choose your set up. But it sure is nice having the freedom to choose. I chose to go to an expert for help and I am a very happy camper.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Back to basics, same with Jim Flower. Never exceed tire and wheel ratings. Or axle. The rest is open to how to distribute tongue weight. A WD hitch ought always be able to restore the front axle to it's unhitched weight value. Otherwise, it is not a weight distribution hitch.

As in all these endeavors, actual scaled measurements are what count. Not guesstimates, height measurements, etc. Numbers from a certified scale.

Being painstaking counts. Some experience in the "how to", keep good records, and one is good to go from then on with that particular rig.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
One more restriction from owner's manual

I was just reading another owner's manual online (can you tell I'm trying to decide on a tow vehicle?), and found the following:
If using a weight
distributing hitch, make sure not to
exceed the RGAWR before applying
the weight distribution spring bars.
That's from page 9-65 of the 2012 GMC Yukon Denali / Denali XL owner's manual.

Most advice I have seen on this forum says to ensure the axle loads are within the limit with the WD tightened, rather than according to what the quote here says. One more thing to worry about, though we know lots of people do fine without worrying over this particular point.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I was just reading another owner's manual online (can you tell I'm trying to decide on a tow vehicle?), and found the following:
If using a weight
distributing hitch, make sure not to
exceed the RGAWR before applying
the weight distribution spring bars.
That's from page 9-65 of the 2012 GMC Yukon Denali / Denali XL owner's manual.

Most advice I have seen on this forum says to ensure the axle loads are within the limit with the WD tightened, rather than according to what the quote here says. One more thing to worry about, though we know lots of people do fine without worrying over this particular point.

hmmmm, that seems to me to be some sort of misprint....I'll look into that. I don't think it matters what the load is PRIOR to "springing up". It's the load as going down the road that matters.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
SSquared, could they be covering the possibility of w.d. hitch failure, dropping that distributed weight back onto the rear axle while moving down the road?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote