Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Weight Distributing / Anti-sway Hitch

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which Company makes the best and easiest to setup Weight distributing/Anti-sway hitch that works best for a 2012 20ft Flying Cloud that is also a reasonable cost? Thanks Frank
fmacmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It makes a difference what you are using to tow the Airstream. Specifically, what is the tow vehicle?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Big Can 'O Worms

You just opened one.

For a 20 footer and depending on what your TV is, you might want to look at the Equalizer or a Reese. These are widely used by folks here on the forum and if you want a "reasonable cost" this could be the direction for you.

I can not speak about the Reese as I have had only Equalizers in my history. Mine was easy to set up, easy to hook up, easy to unhook and performs well for me.

Good luck in your decision.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Ok I forgot to say what my Tow Vehicle is. I have a 2010 F150 Harley version.
Thanks
Frank
fmacmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We had a 2007 20' Airstream and used a 10K Equal-I-Zer brand hitch, but would not use that hitch. The bars are not flexible in their design, we either had too rough a ride or not enough weight transfer. We bought a 25' Airstream using the same hitch and am still not satisfied with the ride.

Have just got an Andersen weight distribution hitch because the ride is described as greatly improved by users. New product and completely new design. Excellent price, simple operation, and apparently easy installation. We'll see.

doug k
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmacmaster View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which Company makes the best and easiest to setup Weight distributing/Anti-sway hitch that works best for a 2012 20ft Flying Cloud that is also a reasonable cost? Thanks Frank
You have an easy to tow rig there. That means almost any of the popular WD hitches will do a good job at distributing the weight and providing some anti-sway.

Selecting a hitch is like selecting a religion. Really. But if you reduce it down to just the physical properties, it isn't that hard to find a solution.

There are two main aspects to this: performance and convenience. Performance just means, how well does the hitch do what it is supposed to do? Convenience means, how easy is it to hitch and unhitch?

For a simple rig like yours, all the "popular brands" are going to work fine for performance. They do have different methods of connection and you have to see which will work for you. One thing to note, is the weight of hitch heads and bars. They are heavy, and can have some grease on them. You really do have to consider being careful not to get grease on your clothes.

Then there are some really costly hitches that do an even better job, but would you need that for a simple rig like yours? Well, if you have lots of money, why not? But if cost is a priority, you may want to stick with the midrange hitches that are by far the most popular.

Hitches like the Reese and Equalizer sell in huge numbers because they work well and have a reasonable price. It comes down to a kind of "Ford vs. Chevy" sort of argument. If you wanted to get it over with and be on your way towing tomorrow, flip a coin, buy it, get it installed and go camping! If you want to pour over the opinions there will be thousands of them!

Don't let it give you a headache! Happy camping!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Good Points

Doug made some good points. It is possible to "over hitch" your trailer and with the stiff bars of an Equalizer some say you can actually do damage to the trailer. I have heard stories of popped rivets and cracked body panels.

Way back, I purchased an Equalizer (smaller than the 10K version) for my hybrid trailer that weighed a full ton less than my current Airstream. I did so because I did not like the whole idea of snapping chains into position and having to take them off before backing up. The Reese is a whole new animal these days and one I would seriously have looked at back then.

My TV/Hybrid combination rode fine and it trailed very well. When I got my used Airstream it came with the 10K Equalizer and I was happy to see it. I really can't say that it rides good or bad since I don't have anything to compare it to. I am comfortable with the ride and for my combination it works well. No popped rivets, no issues and no sway under all kinds of conditions.

Since you are asking for advice, I would look at lots of hitches, talk to folks who use them and go with what you like the best. The new Anderson hitch sounds very interesting. I think the bottom line is, they are all pretty good and should do the job for you.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The Blue Ox is another W/D system to give consideration to:

Blue Ox SwayPro Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs Blue Ox Weight Distribution BXW1000
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
If you looking for an all in one that does a great job of sway control and weight distribution, is light, easy to install, easy to set up, and the easiest to use. Then take a look at the Andersen Hitch. With plenty of us using it and no one complaining about how it works, it's a very nice hitch set up. And no bars to try and lift.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmacmaster View Post
Sorry, to much contradiction.....there is no answer to this question. If you want the best, you will not get it at what most consider a "reasonable cost". If you want a hitch that most consider a "reasonable cost", you won't get the "best", or one that "works best".

Now, which do you value the most?
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No contradiction at all, he wants the nest he can get for a reasonable cost. We know you're talking about the Hensley/Propride $2500-$3000 hitch that's is not reasonable cost in most books, especially for a small trailer and adequate tow vehicle.

doug k
Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
No contradiction at all, he wants the nest he can get for a reasonable cost. We know you're talking about the Hensley/Propride $2500-$3000 hitch that's is not reasonable cost in most books, especially for a small trailer and adequate tow vehicle.

doug k
Yes, the F150 is certainly adequate for the 20 footer, but my experience has been the smaller single axle trailers are actually worse about sway than the slightly larger tandem axle trailers. And, when the word "best" is used, to me that means BEST.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
We use the Reese dual cam set up, it works and have no problems with it. That being said, I am now looking at the Anderson one! I am VERY close to going for it and selling what I have. The Anderson one has a lot going for it. JMHO
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, the F150 is certainly adequate for the 20 footer, but my experience has been the smaller single axle trailers are actually worse about sway than the slightly larger tandem axle trailers. And, when the word "best" is used, to me that means BEST.
Agree, the 34' tri axle Airstream has a reputation as one of the easiest Airstreams to tow.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've towed both a 20' and 25' with the same truck and hitch. Difference hardly noticeable, neither one had any sway that I could feel. Small movements from passing trucks in heavy crosswinds or on rutty roads are not sway, perhaps the tandem axle tracks a bit better here but I'm not sure.

Anyway many good friction sway control hitches are available at reasonable cost to handle this combo nicely. Beyond that it's about proper setup and adjust driving speeds to conditions, and that goes for any hitch.

doug k
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Andersen will run you $500 at the most. Not $1000-$3000 You can get them from $400 up on the internet. I picked up mine for $450 from a local shop.

So price is one of the best.

Sway control is one of the best.

WD is one of the best.

As far as Set up I don't think it gets any easier.

Is it the Best?? It's One of the Best.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I would add one more point to my previous comments. Many outrageous claims are made about hitches - both positive and negative - and only very rarely is there any scientific evidence or analysis to support these claims. Hitches are not magic in any way. Their behavior must obey all laws of physics. So any attribute of a hitch - be it negative or positive - can be analyzed and demonstrated scientifically. The stories, rumors, opinions and claims that aren't backed by any science should be taken with great skepticism.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I would add one more point to my previous comments. Many outrageous claims are made about hitches - both positive and negative - and only very rarely is there any scientific evidence or analysis to support these claims. Hitches are not magic in any way. Their behavior must obey all laws of physics. So any attribute of a hitch - be it negative or positive - can be analyzed and demonstrated scientifically. The stories, rumors, opinions and claims that aren't backed by any science should be taken with great skepticism.
I can't think of one WD hitch that isn't backed up by science???? Is there one???

When a user of a hitch says it distributes weight and helps control sway how is that a claim?? Thats what all hitches are designed to do. Some do it better and simpler than others. Some do it better and more complicatedly than others. But all do it in some way..

I haven't heard any outlandish claims on any of the threads. People have their preference, and most like the one they use. I switched because I wanted something that was simpler and faster to hook up...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
And then there is the driver who can negate any of the benefits; that can't be demonstrated scientifically.

doug k
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post

I haven't heard any outlandish claims on any of the threads.
Since you are quoting me, I will respond. There's a few right in this thread. I'll give a generic example of an outlandish claim: This hitch has the best sway control.

Unless there is some kind of evidence or test to show how this is true versus all other hitches, then "best" is an outlandish claim. What does best mean? If you said Joe Smith was the best pitcher in the American League, you would probably point to his won-loss record, his ERA, or his number of saves, or his strike out count, compared to all other pitchers. You would have some evidence for claiming "best".

But what constitutes "best sway control?" How is it measured? How was it tested? What other hitches were in the test? Who did the test? How can something be "best" when the cohort isn't even described?

I'm just using that as a typical type of claim that is made with no supporting evidence. 'Harsh ride" would be another kind of claim like that.

There's nothing at all wrong with having opinions. One could say, "I think this is the best sway control." Then, everyone knows it is simply an opinion. That's a lot different than saying, "This one is the best sway control."