Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmacmaster View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which Company makes the best and easiest to setup Weight distributing/Anti-sway hitch that works best for a 2012 20ft Flying Cloud that is also a reasonable cost? Thanks Frank
Let's try to give Frank some recommendations. He tows with a late Ford F150.

I'll go with the Andersen because of good user reports, easy adjustment, and reasonable cost.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens

Since you are quoting me, I will respond. There's a few right in this thread. I'll give a generic example of an outlandish claim: This hitch has the best sway control.

Unless there is some kind of evidence or test to show how this is true versus all other hitches, then "best" is an outlandish claim. What does best mean? If you said Joe Smith was the best pitcher in the American League, you would probably point to his won-loss record, his ERA, or his number of saves, or his strike out count, compared to all other pitchers. You would have some evidence for claiming "best".

But what constitutes "best sway control?" How is it measured? How was it tested? What other hitches were in the test? Who did the test? How can something be "best" when the cohort isn't even described?

I'm just using that as a typical type of claim that is made with no supporting evidence. 'Harsh ride" would be another kind of claim like that.

There's nothing at all wrong with having opinions. One could say, "I think this is the best sway control." Then, everyone knows it is simply an opinion. That's a lot different than saying, "This one is the best sway control."
It's what it is. Someone's opinion and you know it is, And you take it as that. Maybe they have tried 2-4 different ones, this is their evidence.
When the question is asked do you really think everyone is going to agree?
Do you really think there is going to be a consensus?
Do you really think the hard data is out there to even make that kind of claim? Nope there never will be. And it's not something that can be figured out with numbers. To many variables.
When a question is asked the answers are 99% opinion on any forum Like the best TV, What length trailer is the best, etc.

I'm just saying to call it outlandish is a little much when we know it's opinion.

If a persons opinion is; "it's the best." Then it is in their opinion. There is nothing outlandish about this. There are however, people making outlandish speculations with numbers lately on how WD works. Personally with my experience with 3 WD hitches I think andersen does have the best sway control. This is not outlandish, it is my opinion. I don't have to state it as my opinion because most here take it at that. Your new so maybe you haven't realized this yet.

Now if I said; "Andersen was the only one who could control sway and no others." That's is outlandish and everyone knows it is.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
This is getting sort of like "it depends on your definition of 'is".

There are those of us that need a definite quantity in numbers to understand things, and then there are those of us who understand because we have experienced them.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
This is getting sort of like "it depends on your definition of 'is".

There are those of us that need a definite quantity in numbers to understand things, and then there are those of us who understand because we have experienced them.
I understand getting numbers, but there is no way to Get the numbers to determine which one is the best. Just as there are no formulas to tell you how to adjust your WD hitch. There are to many variables in both situations. It also seems when numbers our posted no one can agree on who's numbers to use

So it always comes down to EXPERIENCE and OPINION in both cases.. IMO

Personally I would take a bunch of peoples opinions about using something over a bunch of numbers from someone behind a desk. That's why I bought the Andersen hitch and changed to LT tires on the trailer. Not saying there is anything wrong with getting numbers, but then numbers seem to be subject to opinion here also...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Frank, as you can see, you will get recommendations ad infinitum and you can spend many hours reading all posts referencing hitches. I purchased a 2008 20’ Safari SE (virtually the same trailer you own) new from Sutton RV in Eugene, Oregon four summers ago. I asked them to suggest a hitch and they unequivocally said I should get the Equal-i-zer 90-00-1000 (10k). I paid about $600.00 installed. I tow with a 2008 Sequoia large V-8 equipped with tow package (tow capacity 10,000 lbs.). I’ve towed this combination for over 30,000 miles over all sorts of surfaces and through all sorts of conditions and am very satisfied. Now if you would like to read thousands of other posts, ask for recommendations for replacement tires and possibly wheels for your OEM tires (most likely GYM’s, Goodyear Marathons) and wheels. Good luck.

Bill
smeltersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
I use a Pro-Series WD hitch to tow my 1971 21' Globetrotter (4480# wet, single axle ) behind a 2010 Toyota Tundra 4X4. Works fine, cost about $289.00 from e-trailer, 600# spring bars, but I'd probably get the Andersen next time. I like the greaselessness of the Andersen (I've ruined a lot of clothes from that damn black grease on this hitch) and the light weight and simple operation of the Andersen.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, let's take a look at this from a completely different angle. When I go to a large camp ground or even a large forum rally, I see so many different combinations of trailers, hitches, and tow vehicles. Everyone seems to be happy with what they have [like on this forum] and they all made it there and we will assume that they all made it home safe too. And who knows where else these people have been. [and back safely] No matter what you read here, you will buy and use what you want.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
fmacmaster-One thing you might check out is whether the "stinger" on the Andersen is long enough to allow your tailgate to be opened without hitting your tongue jack, if that is important to you. Maybe some Andersen users can check the distance between the pin hole on the end of the stinger and the center of the ball. That needs to be about 13" for me to be able open the tailgate on my Tundra.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You want W/D bars that are matched to the trailer tongue weight, so you do not make the assy. too stiff running down our rough roads. Stiff bars (Equalizers seem stiffer than others of the same rating) make for damage to the trailer and a rougher ride. Do not try to out run the truck rolling down large hills. That seems to be the biggest cause for accidents. Properly setting the brake controller and knowing when to override is a learned art. Keep a safe following distance 1 1/2 times as much if you were traveling without the trailer.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
It's what it is. Someone's opinion and you know it is, And you take it as that. Maybe they have tried 2-4 different ones, this is their evidence.
When the question is asked do you really think everyone is going to agree?
Do you really think there is going to be a consensus?
Do you really think the hard data is out there to even make that kind of claim? Nope there never will be. And it's not something that can be figured out with numbers. To many variables.
When a question is asked the answers are 99% opinion on any forum Like the best TV, What length trailer is the best, etc.

I'm just saying to call it outlandish is a little much when we know it's opinion.

If a persons opinion is; "it's the best." Then it is in their opinion. There is nothing outlandish about this. There are however, people making outlandish speculations with numbers lately on how WD works. Personally with my experience with 3 WD hitches I think andersen does have the best sway control. This is not outlandish, it is my opinion. I don't have to state it as my opinion because most here take it at that. Your new so maybe you haven't realized this yet.

Now if I said; "Andersen was the only one who could control sway and no others." That's is outlandish and everyone knows it is.
Whooaaa...take it easy there pal. The hostility is uncalled for, and really unpleasant.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here on what is an "outlandish" claim - and leave it at that.

When I read, "My opinion is........." I know to take that as just an opinion - everyone has them. When I read, "Brand X is the best WD." I know I should be looking for data, or proofs to back up that kind of absolute claim. It isn't hard to tell an opinion from an absolute claim.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
The Blue Ox sway pro can be had with 550, 750, 1000, or 1500 pound bars. The rest of the hitch is the same parts, so if you need to change up or down in bar rating, all you have to replace is the bars.
The design is also such that you do not have to grease the ends of the bars when you insert them into the head, so you do not have to deal with that issue. The sway control is 'adjustable' by setting the sway control bolts to different torque values.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens

Whooaaa...take it easy there pal. The hostility is uncalled for, and really unpleasant.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here on what is an "outlandish" claim - and leave it at that.

When I read, "My opinion is........." I know to take that as just an opinion - everyone has them. When I read, "Brand X is the best WD." I know I should be looking for data, or proofs to back up that kind of absolute claim. It isn't hard to tell an opinion from an absolute claim.
No hostility intended just my opinion. I think your expecting a lot of people to have to prove what they think is best, and calling people's opinion "outlandish" is rather hostel IMO.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #33
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Before you get caught up in hitch opinions, you might want to just hook up your trailer on the ball and tow it down to the nearest truck scale and find out what everything weighs separately and together. If you load your trailer and truck up with gear, even better. Take height measurements at the truck fenders to measure the drop when hitched. Tow around the area and see how it feels. Then you can make a better decision on what will work.

I towed a 19' Bambi with only a friction sway bar and was fine. But if loaded with water and bikes and gear, the WD hitch was a definite helper. You have to find out what will work best with your truck and your trailer.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
No hostility intended just my opinion. I think your expecting a lot of people to have to prove what they think is best, and calling people's opinion "outlandish" is rather hostel IMO.
Incorrect. I don't expect anyone to prove their "opinions", and never said that. I said if they make an "absolute claim" I would be looking for proof or evidence. An "absolute claim" is a declaration, such as, "Brand X has the best WD." If it was an opinion, it would have the words "opinion" or "I believe" or "I think" in the sentence. EX: "In my opinion, Brand X has the best WD." That's an opinion.

I have never called anyone's opinion outlandish. Ever. I said exactly this: "Many outrageous claims are made about hitches - both positive and negative - and only very rarely is there any scientific evidence or analysis to support these claims." And I stand by that sentence 100%.

I never mentioned the word opinion. It was you who decided that I was talking about opinions, and began posting argumentative comments about something I didn't even say. Please, just read the post I made and don't add words and ideas that aren't there.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmacmaster View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which Company makes the best and easiest to setup Weight distributing/Anti-sway hitch that works best for a 2012 20ft Flying Cloud that is also a reasonable cost? Thanks Frank
Reasonable Cost

I think the low price end is around $450 for WD and anti-sway. And the top is maybe $3500. The very popular ones are about $600. I think everyone of them will work with your easy to tow rig. That is, they will distribute weight, and they will damp sway.

What price sounds reasonable to you?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
You want W/D bars that are matched to the trailer tongue weight, so you do not make the assy. too stiff running down our rough roads. Stiff bars (Equalizers seem stiffer than others of the same rating) make for damage to the trailer and a rougher ride. Do not try to out run the truck rolling down large hills. That seems to be the biggest cause for accidents. Properly setting the brake controller and knowing when to override is a learned art. Keep a safe following distance 1 1/2 times as much if you were traveling without the trailer.
Hi, I believe this statement to be hear-say. I have not seen any proof of damage from this hitch, have you? Stiffer? If you are referring to Andy's B.S. test, he compared Equal-i-zer 1,000 lb bars to Reese 800 or 850 lb bars. Hardly comparable.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Help Me With This

Mstpephens, so is it your opinion, or are you stating a "fact" without support? I am always reading things that people say about running with the fridge on, the use of trailer tires or LT tires, hitches and so on and I agree with you. Some make some rather outlandish statements and I feel we should hold them accountable.

That said, you said this in an earlier post.

"Then there are some really costly hitches that do an even better job, but would you need that for a simple rig like yours?"

So you think it is a "fact" that the more costly the hitch is, the better job it will do? Or, is this just your opinion, and if so why didn't you include an "I believe" or "it is my opinion that" in there somewhere? I was the guy who earlier mentioned the can of worms that was about to be opened. I read through the posts and frankly, I thought they were very fair and gave the OP much to think about. Why tell the OP that if he wants the best, he should pay the big bucks? Not very helpful in my "opinion".
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I believe this statement to be hear-say. I have not seen any proof of damage from this hitch, have you? Stiffer? If you are referring to Andy's B.S. test, he compared Equal-i-zer 1,000 lb bars to Reese 800 or 850 lb bars. Hardly comparable.
I'd love to see a technical analysis which shows how stiff bars of the Equalizer cause a harsh ride. Some data with some formula's explaining the means by which this happens.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Mstpephens, so is it your opinion, or are you stating a "fact" without support? I am always reading things that people say about running with the fridge on, the use of trailer tires or LT tires, hitches and so on and I agree with you. Some make some rather outlandish statements and I feel we should hold them accountable.

That said, you said this in an earlier post.

"Then there are some really costly hitches that do an even better job, but would you need that for a simple rig like yours?"

So you think it is a "fact" that the more costly the hitch is, the better job it will do? Or, is this just your opinion, and if so why didn't you include an "I believe" or "it is my opinion that" in there somewhere? I was the guy who earlier mentioned the can of worms that was about to be opened. I read through the posts and frankly, I thought they were very fair and gave the OP much to think about. Why tell the OP that if he wants the best, he should pay the big bucks? Not very helpful in my "opinion".
I think you'll find I didn't say that, nor did I imply it with my post. What I said about costly hitches is that they do a "better job." I'd be happy to dispense with that right now so as to bring it to a peaceful end here.

"Better Job" - Comparing the Anderson Hitch WD Function to the Pro-Pride Hitch Function. In order to complete the "job" a WD hitch has to be able to properly distribute the required weight for a given TV/TT configuration.

Cost:
Pro-Pride: $2445
Anderson: $495

Findings and Facts:
  1. The ProPride is really more costly
  2. The Anderson WD system is limited by a 2,000# chain rating which provides a limit on how much weight can be transferred with certain TV/TT combinations. For example, mine. I need 300 - 400 pounds of WD, and with my rig that would put far more than 2000# of strain on the 2000# rated chains. I call that a "no function".
  3. The ProPride doesn't have this functional limitation.
Conclusion: The costlier hitch does a "better job" at WD than that less costly hitch.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
That test was not designed to compare one bar against another.

It was however designed, to show the stiffness of various bars.

Then it was up to an individual to make their own choice.

I also feel that when someone invests time and money, to help promote more knowledge for travel trailer owners, that naming it BS, it rather crude and unnecessary.

I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate, to do what I did regarding the bars.

Perhaps you misunderstood the real purpose of those tests.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote