Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Niles , Michigan
Weight Distributing

Hello everyone ,
I am new to the forum and am glad to have found my way here! I have been on fishing forums for some time and have found them to be enjoyable and very benificial to chat with everyone. Here's my problem...
I am here because I was searching for a wd hitch system and stumbled across this forum. I am trying to decide which WD hitch system to buy.
I pull a 24 ft Featherlite cargo trailer weighing around 10k with a 3/4 ton 4 wd Suburban. My previous system was the Dual Cam by Reese along with a friction sway bar. I think it done it's job well but I don't really have anything to compare to. It's been used heavily for 11 years and needs replacing.
I have seen the Husky "Centerline " system and while searching for reviews on it, it seems like everyone talks about one called the "Equalizer".
Does anyone have any suggestions or previous experience that may help me decide? Thank you in advance for any help given. Bill
Gillgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
You probably have the better between Reese and Equalizer, there are several threads under the forums tab.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...est-76068.html

The Hensley is one of the best on the market. There is another brand called Curt that is big in the Texas area for newcomers that are not set on a brand.

Wes
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Don't want to recommend one brand over another (we be 'kind'a biased).
But this site has a lot of useful info to help with your decision, the scale ain't bad either.
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you have a Reese Dual Cam, and are happy with it, why mess with success? The current version is called Strait-Line.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillgetter View Post
Hello everyone ,
I am new to the forum and am glad to have found my way here! I have been on fishing forums for some time and have found them to be enjoyable and very benificial to chat with everyone. Here's my problem...
I am here because I was searching for a wd hitch system and stumbled across this forum. I am trying to decide which WD hitch system to buy.
I pull a 24 ft Featherlite cargo trailer weighing around 10k with a 3/4 ton 4 wd Suburban. My previous system was the Dual Cam by Reese along with a friction sway bar. I think it done it's job well but I don't really have anything to compare to. It's been used heavily for 11 years and needs replacing.
I have seen the Husky "Centerline " system and while searching for reviews on it, it seems like everyone talks about one called the "Equalizer".
Does anyone have any suggestions or previous experience that may help me decide? Thank you in advance for any help given. Bill
A Reese with dual cam, does a great job.

The dual cam is far superior to a friction sway control.

Many owners like the Equalizer, becaue it's cheap.

Perhaps the following will help you decide.

The Hitch Torsion Bar Story

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
WD Hitch

Andy, If the old dual cam is adjusted properly why does he feel the need to have a friction anti-sway assembly?
Could the cams (humps) in the saddle where the end of the sway bar rides be worn off?
One fine point about the Reece trunion bars (tapered) is that they can be of different lengths. This necessitates putting them on the same side always (I've marked mine) after the final adjustment of the frame mounts (loosening the u bolts with all assembled after driving in a straight line for at least 50 yards).
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Think this article is better:
http://www.inlandrv.com/articles/towing_myths.pdf

You should write some more, Andy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A Reese with dual cam, does a great job.

The dual cam is far superior to a friction sway control.

Many owners like the Equalizer, becaue it's cheap.

Perhaps the following will help you decide.

The Hitch Torsion Bar Story

Andy
Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
PULLRITE, PRO PRIDE and HENSLEY all manufacture/distribute sway-eliminating hitches, versus sway-resisting hitches (as you currently have). If I were not the owner of one of the former, I would go with the brand you currently own as best second choice (especially as to familiarity).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote