Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Rostam and otra15 are giving you great advice. An Equalizer will give you good WD and some sway control. If you get one, go out and pull your trailer with it and without. You will be happy you invested the money. I pull our 30 flying cloud around town and on some very short trips using just the ball on the 2500 chevy duramax. I feel safe doing so, but when the Equalizer is in place, the whole experience is much more stable. Yours will be also.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Find out what amount of wt is on your vehicle front axle, versus what amount is on your rear axle. If the rear axle is less than the front by a couple hundred lbs... measure the height above ground of your front fender at the top of the wheel well... and do the same at the rear wheel well.
Now hook up your trailer and re-measure the wheel well height.
If your front WW height was 30" and the rear was 31" and after the trailer is mounted the front remains at 30" then as long as the trailer is level you should not need WD hitch. (This excersize is designed to determine if front axle weight decreases excessively. If not, you do not need WD.) Drive it and see how it handles.
There's a good chance you do not.
Good advice. After hook-up, if your front end is more than a 1/2" higher than the first measurement, it's time to weigh-in to be sure your front end is not lighter than the back end. Too many people on this forum think a WD hitch is some kind of almost magical device that is going to save them if or when they encounter a bad situation. They are living a fantasy, IMHO. A situation bad enough to wreck an otherwise well balanced TV and trailer is just as likely going to be fatal to one equipped with WD. Your driving skill and common sense performance on the highway are your best safeguard against trouble.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingcamping View Post
Good day! I have read and read but need a little help (newbie). I have a brand new 16' Sport - and TV is 2017 Lexus GX 460 (tows 6500 lbs - max tongue weight 500 lbs) Sport is 3500 lbs GVWF - 350 tongue weight (plus 40 lbs propane plus 40 for battery)…so total of about 440 lb) Anyhow, my Lexus has TSC (trailer sway control) but the dealer says I def need weight distribution hitch at $750. I want to be safe, but the more I read here, just don't know what to do! Many thanks for your experience and guidance!
Welcome to the forum! Wondering if you have decided whether or not to go for a WD hitch?

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
at the very least get sway control.there are still some posters here that don't realize you can have sway control without WD. My opinion, in your case I would get a WD hitch with built in sway control or one with ad on sc.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:49 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
No "trailer" needs weight distribution. The question is does your "tow vehicle" need WD for the trailer you choose to tow. WD is to help the TV return to a more proper geometry if over loaded by the trailers tongue weight. Your TV capacity and the tongue weight of the trailer will give you an idea if you need WD. How does the vehicle preform without WD compared to with WD.

I use the WD on my set up to reduce bounce. I use light bars as I don't need to "distribute" much weight, but I do like the ability of the WD to absorb vertical bounce from inconstant road surfaces.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
The Anderson hitch is not compatible with most airstream couplers. I have a 2016 sport 16 and I know mine falls into this category.
I was considering the Anderson WD for our 22. As per Anderson's website, that coupler is not compatible with their WD hitches. I talked to two AS service manager's at two dealers who confirmed the same. (My question to AS corporate went unanswered.)
Old 04-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Why would they respond? It's an aftermkt accessory added by the owner. Owners responsibility as far as accessories fitting the airstream.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:24 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Why would they respond? It's an aftermkt accessory added by the owner. Owners responsibility as far as accessories fitting the airstream.
My question posed to AS related ONLY to the mfg of the coupler on a particular trailer.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLife View Post
My question posed to AS related ONLY to the mfg of the coupler on a particular trailer.
Okay!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #30
short suff

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Gallatin , Tennessee
I have a 16ft sport as well and had the same ?. My tv is a 16 Landcruiser and I opted in for wd/sc hitch. Glad I did...I feel the same as many 750.00 to give additional peace of mind for me and ole short stuff is worth it. I saw no downside to doing this just upside.
short stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Cherry Log , Georgia
Thumbs up Wow! I am thrilled!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR FEEDBACK! This forum is beyond my expectations! I am a detail person and so really want to know why, how and when and what! I am going to do a little more research on my TSC that is built in with my vehicle and I believe I am going to go the conservative route! I still need more training in parking, etc. But I think feeling more comfortable even if not totally needed is better for a newbie! Thanks, again!!
Goingcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
No "trailer" needs weight distribution. The question is does your "tow vehicle" need WD for the trailer you choose to tow. WD is to help the TV return to a more proper geometry if over loaded by the trailers tongue weight. Your TV capacity and the tongue weight of the trailer will give you an idea if you need WD. How does the vehicle preform without WD compared to with WD.

I use the WD on my set up to reduce bounce. I use light bars as I don't need to "distribute" much weight, but I do like the ability of the WD to absorb vertical bounce from inconstant road surfaces.

Joe D
You realize of course, that "if overloaded by the tongue weight" .. every time you experience the "bounce" you wish to reduce... you are quite likely overloading your trailer axle? A WD hitch distributes the load among multiple axles. Most users are thinking that they're increasing the weight or contact of the TV front-axle.... and are unaware they are sharing that distributed load upon their trailer's axle...in the case of a Bambi, ... a portion of the TV's load is being placed upon the trailer's single axle. Whenever you cross a "dip" in the road you may actually be overloading that single axle by quite a bit. In that moment the TV's rear axle is UNDERloaded.

Also, for newbies, keep in mind that WD hitches, except in a few models, do nothing to fight sway.

I tow my 22' Sport with a half-ton pickup on an ordinary ball hitch with friction sway control. A WD hitch would be teats on a boar in my opinion and, if I were lacking personal experiences, I do not believe that the advice of the multitudes (i.e., If you don't know if you need a WD hitch , you should get one anyway because you never know and it never hurts to be overequipped...) I don't believe it's wise to overload any axle or to find one's self with an off-loaded rear TV axle. The majority of travel-trailer accidents I've seen so-far have been with WD axles. That does not prove their worth as preventative equipment.

Getting a triple heart bypass is also something I do not plan to get preemptively, despite the potential for relieving an ailment I don't have.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
You realize of course, that "if overloaded by the tongue weight" .. every time you experience the "bounce" you wish to reduce... you are quite likely overloading your trailer axle? A WD hitch distributes the load among multiple axles. Most users are thinking that they're increasing the weight or contact of the TV front-axle.... and are unaware they are sharing that distributed load upon their trailer's axle...in the case of a Bambi, ... a portion of the TV's load is being placed upon the trailer's single axle. Whenever you cross a "dip" in the road you may actually be opverloading that single axle by quite a bit. In that moment the TV's rear axle is UNDERloaded.....
Excellent point! In addition, the front steering axle may also be overloaded at the same time the rear axle is UNDERloaded...not a good time need heavy braking or fast steering maneuver. A broken axle is a FAR more serious issue than overcoming a little bounce. I read on this forum all the time statements like, "I don't know if WD is needed, but it makes me feel safer." Sadly, it may be doing just the opposite.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Cherry Log , Georgia
Little confused

I am a lady and a newbie to the trailer! I understand what you are saying but not really. Are you saying I don't want the weight distributed with a device? Or? And can you tell me what you would do.... 16' Bambi GRWC 3500 and vehicle tows 6500 -(8 cyl) -tongue weight max for TV is 500 and tongue weight per written material is 350 (estimating 90 additional for propane and battery - really want 2 batteries!) which is 440. Do I have a problem?
Can I add another battery?
Getting worried on what the safest way for me to tow? I hear people tow a Bambi with less TV than I have... thanks for your help! And clarification for all of my questions!
Goingcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
I am a lady and a newbie to the trailer! I understand what you are saying but not really. Are you saying I don't want the weight distributed with a device? Or? And can you tell me what you would do.... 16' Bambi GRWC 3500 and vehicle tows 6500 -(8 cyl) -tongue weight max for TV is 500 and tongue weight per written material is 350 (estimating 90 additional for propane and battery - really want 2 batteries!) which is 440. Do I have a problem?
Getting worried on what the safest way for me to tow? I hear people tow a Bambi with less TV than I have... thanks for your help! And clarification for all of my questions!
The battery and full propane tanks are included in Airstream's hitch weight specs for an empty trailer. So you should have only 350 lbs tongue weight. It does not include water in the two tanks. The fresh water can hold 184 lbs of water.

When you load the trailer just make sure that the cargo (including the water, if any) behind the axle is not more than the cargo in front of the axle. The tongue weight should be 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight. If it's less than 10% (some say 8%) the trailer could have a tendency to sway.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:39 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
If you were vastly experienced and had a super capable tow vehicle, then maybe you could get away with not using a weight distribution hitch (WDH). You are new and IMO should not be pushing the envelope or taking an unnecessary risk.

My suggestion is to have the dealer that sold you the Bambi install a WDH with sway control for you and call it a day. The WDH brand does not really matter. There are several reputable brands and if installed and setup properly, they all seem to do a fine job. Just let the dealer pick a brand for you.

I'm afraid you are not going anywhere by seeking advice on such a divisive topic in an online forum.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My advice to those wondering if they need WD and sc, I'd get a hitch with both and put on a few thousand miles. Then with this experience decide about any changes.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
It's a shame you mentioned you are a lady.... because now most advice you'll get here will be from people who will presume you can't drive ordinarily and therefore their advice will be to load you up with everything including a weight-distributed kitchen sink.
If you'd stealthily said you were an experienced male driver they'd have said it would be OK for you to go drive it a while and then decide.

I suggest you do NOT need a WD hitch, and you don't even need sway control if you never drive over 55 mph (which advice is probably what all the scaredy-cats should follow anyway.)

If you DO drive over 55 mph, then I suggest you consider an inexpensive friction sway control. These can be added to ordinary ball-hitches. Do NOT attempt to back up the trailer with the sway control engaged or you may bend it.

NEVER tow a trailer on icy roads (which, having spent a lot of time driving around ATL I know you have.) Avoid any high speed on wet roads. Never tailgate anyone.

You'll do fine. Enjoy!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
You may be surprised to know that your Lexus SUV is a far better tow vehicle than a lot of 1/2 ton pickups out there. In fact you could say that it might be overkill to use it as a tow vehicle for a 16' Bambi. Do you need a WDH? Probably not, as long as you don't overload the back of the car and exceed the rear axle weight rating on your door label.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You can wear pants without a belt or suspenders, if they fit well.

Some folks like to add a belt.

Some folks prefer suspenders only.

Some folks like both.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote