Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The problem some, myself included, had with the Andersen was a failure of the shark fin on the Atwood coupler. The failure is a function of the amount of load applied to the coupler by the Andersen with heavier trailers.

You will not have that issue with a 16 ft trailer while still being able to take advantage of the superior sway control aspects of the hitch. That coupled with the ease of usage should warrant it consideration.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:18 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
It's a shame you mentioned you are a lady.... because now most advice you'll get here will be from people who will presume you can't drive ordinarily and therefore their advice will be to load you up with everything including a weight-distributed kitchen sink.
If you'd stealthily said you were an experienced male driver they'd have said it would be OK for you to go drive it a while and then decide.

I suggest you do NOT need a WD hitch, and you don't even need sway control if you never drive over 55 mph (which advice is probably what all the scaredy-cats should follow anyway.)

If you DO drive over 55 mph, then I suggest you consider an inexpensive friction sway control. These can be added to ordinary ball-hitches. Do NOT attempt to back up the trailer with the sway control engaged or you may bend it.

NEVER tow a trailer on icy roads (which, having spent a lot of time driving around ATL I know you have.) Avoid any high speed on wet roads. Never tailgate anyone.

You'll do fine. Enjoy!
I totally agree with Boxite. You do not need a WD hitch (unless you plan to pack your TV to the gills and front load your Bambi so its got more than 500# on the tongue). Furthermore, Lexus says you don't need it. Don't let the dealer whose incentive is a nice profit margin talk you into buying one.

Because you have TSC you are not likely to feel an iota of difference with or without an added sway bar when you are driving at a safe & sane (and legal) 55 mph. If OTOH you think you will wind up driving at 60 or 70 mph (as apparently many forum members do, regardless of common sense or the speed limit) then do as Lexus says and add an inexpensive sway bar like Boxite uses.

My vintage 20' Argosy has very nearly the exact same weight specs as your Bambi, and my Tacoma TV has the same towing wt and tongue wt limits as your Lexus. I have the factory VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) which is probably the same identical technology as your TSC. I've driven tens of thousands of miles w/o a WD hitch or added sway bar on all kinds of roads all over the West under all kinds of conditions except snow and ice (which I avoid). I've been passed going downhill on the interstates by 18-wheelers doing 75 to get a run on the next hill in the rain and wind and never experienced more than a slight wind "bump"...no more than ANY TV/TT would feel no matter what their hitch and sway setup.

Before you spend an extra $1000 (list price + tx & install) on something which you don't need, get a feel for how your rig handles. Stay off the interstates and freeways at first. Take a short road trip or two on 2 lane highways. You'll know a lot more by the time you get back. Be safe and HAVE FUN!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Cherry Log , Georgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
I totally agree with Boxite. You do not need a WD hitch (unless you plan to pack your TV to the gills and front load your Bambi so its got more than 500# on the tongue). Furthermore, Lexus says you don't need it. Don't let the dealer whose incentive is a nice profit margin talk you into buying one.

Because you have TSC you are not likely to feel an iota of difference with or without an added sway bar when you are driving at a safe & sane (and legal) 55 mph. If OTOH you think you will wind up driving at 60 or 70 mph (as apparently many forum members do, regardless of common sense or the speed limit) then do as Lexus says and add an inexpensive sway bar like Boxite uses.

My vintage 20' Argosy has very nearly the exact same weight specs as your Bambi, and my Tacoma TV has the same towing wt and tongue wt limits as your Lexus. I have the factory VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) which is probably the same identical technology as your TSC. I've driven tens of thousands of miles w/o a WD hitch or added sway bar on all kinds of roads all over the West under all kinds of conditions except snow and ice (which I avoid). I've been passed going downhill on the interstates by 18-wheelers doing 75 to get a run on the next hill in the rain and wind and never experienced more than a slight wind "bump"...no more than ANY TV/TT would feel no matter what their hitch and sway setup.

Before you spend an extra $1000 (list price + tx & install) on something which you don't need, get a feel for how your rig handles. Stay off the interstates and freeways at first. Take a short road trip or two on 2 lane highways. You'll know a lot more by the time you get back. Be safe and HAVE FUN!
Thanks for the tip! I love, love all of the input in all directions, sizes and shapes! I have learned a lot and am understanding how everything works relative to weight and weight distribution in my trailer and tv. I never do something just because my dealer told me so...I want to fully understand the mechanics, formulas, potential ups and downs and hues to bascually be as much of an "expert" as I can.... that is my comfort level. Knowing what I am working with and I am really getting a great education on the forum! Keep em coming!
Goingcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Cherry Log , Georgia
AH!HA! Simply put.... if your tongue weight on your trailer exceeds the max tongue weight requirement for your TV then you need a WD? Is that it in a nutshell? Makes perfect sense!
Goingcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingcamping View Post
AH!HA! Simply put.... if your tongue weight on your trailer exceeds the max tongue weight requirement for your TV then you need a WD? Is that it in a nutshell? Makes perfect sense!
No, that is not it in a nutshell.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote