Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Weighing for axle loading check

When at the scales to set up the WD hitch for even loading of the axles on both the TV and the TT, which water tanks are full and which empty? Clean water full and the other two empty? Clear water full and others partially full?? What's the convention, if any?

Thank you in advance.

Frank
2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
When at the scales to set up the WD hitch for even loading of the axles on both the TV and the TT, which water tanks are full and which empty? Clean water full and the other two empty? Clear water full and others partially full?? What's the convention, if any?

Thank you in advance.

Frank
Full fresh water.

Other tanks maybe 50 percent full, so that you have an idea closer to reality. That's how you will probably travel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As Andy said. Get several readings. My fresh water tank, filled, added between three and four hundred pounds. And the grey/black tanks half-filled added to a rear axle imbalance (non A/S trailer).

I traveled the local CAT Scale and did a series of weighings: loaded; emptied waste tanks; emptied fresh tank.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

We rarely if ever camp with full hook-up's so the fresh tank is always full, lpg full when we start. Grey & black get dumped on arrival.

Most extended trips start with a stop at The CAT's just to make sure we haven't overloaded the axles.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ted-53522.html
Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
'07 Safari Weights

Andy - You are an amazing source of information and really appreciate your guidance in all subjects on the forum.

I just got back from the CAT Scales day before yesterday after taking several weights' on the Safari 25FB. I was suprised at how "wrong" the folks at the RV Sales place had set up the WD hitch. I measured the TV and trailer on the CAT Scales (3 segment scale) so I could get the axle weights for Front, Rear, and Trailer separately after having weghed just the TV. Out of approximatley 920 Lb of tongue weight (tanks emptly), the intial set up had only 75 lb's of weight getting transferred to the Front axle.

I adjusted the Spring Bars (via head angle on the Reese Straightline) and got it matched to 48% to the front and 52% to the rear. Not sure how much difference there will be when I fill the tanks but that's the next trip to the scales.

Do you have thoughts on where the weight will go?

TNX, SailAS
SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAS View Post
Andy - You are an amazing source of information and really appreciate your guidance in all subjects on the forum.

I just got back from the CAT Scales day before yesterday after taking several weights' on the Safari 25FB. I was suprised at how "wrong" the folks at the RV Sales place had set up the WD hitch. I measured the TV and trailer on the CAT Scales (3 segment scale) so I could get the axle weights for Front, Rear, and Trailer separately after having weghed just the TV. Out of approximatley 920 Lb of tongue weight (tanks emptly), the intial set up had only 75 lb's of weight getting transferred to the Front axle.

I adjusted the Spring Bars (via head angle on the Reese Straightline) and got it matched to 48% to the front and 52% to the rear. Not sure how much difference there will be when I fill the tanks but that's the next trip to the scales.

Do you have thoughts on where the weight will go?

TNX, SailAS
You have the weight distribution, well in hand.

I would guess, that if anything, the weight on the rear axle of your TV, may increase by 100 pounds or less. But, you are now well aware of how to shift some of that weight to the front axle of your TV.

Let us know, the final results.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote