Old 07-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I too switch between a Touareg and a F150 but my trailer is not as long as yours. I will say that the Touareg has better handling response and braking than the truck. Could be the center of gravity as well. But I also use a Hensley hitch and I am quite happy towing with both vehicles. As all stated above, it may take some experimenting with dialing in your hitch and getting used to the truck. The truck just has more room for stuff than the Touareg.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The OP needs to start from scratch and set up the hitch according to scale-derived numbers. No end of CAT Scales in the D-FW area. I used to use the one at the 35 junction near Denton, and another on 75 near Anna. Height measurements are okay for rough-in, but dial-in is the only way to get it right (and eliminate or confirm other problems).

Tire pressure on the trailer is to maximum sidewall number, always (cold).

TV tire pressure is -- within manufacturer door placard range -- according to scale weights also.

Real numbers generate a baseline that can be worked from over and over. Guesstimates are no ally. An old trailer like that -- with work having been done to it -- may have an improper tongue weight percentage . . and that can be fixed. But one first must know what it is.

No, the truck will not be as good as the T-reg, overall. But get the FA back to it's unitched number and see how the numbers are for the RA and TT axles and any further fine adjustments can make that item as good as it can be.

Then questions about "best" tow vehicle tires can be asked and answered with intelligence.

There are plenty of directions to go from this point onwards as well depending on the owners desire to leave no stone unturned.

Your rig ought to be able to outdo mine due to size, lengths and weights . . but I'd run circles around you, son. It isn't a competition, but it is about solidifying the basics of steering (accident avoidance) and hard braking (both vehicles in a straight line to one another to a full stop).

Break out (print out) the hitch manual, get a tool box ready, and get a friend to go to the truck stop with you for a few hours on a weekend early morning or late evening. Take your time, get the weights (re-weighs are $1), and do the work you're capable of (as shown in other threads).

2Airishuman's great thread (CAT Scale in title) is your guide. The WDH should show the FA at the unhitched value with WD adjusted properly and engaged, and the RA and TT axles should be something on the order of 60-40 to 75-25 percentage splits of the balance.

Once done, the possible range of adjustments is quite small for future loadings, tires or hitch.

Take care.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I spoke the manufacturer, and they recommended adjusting the "L" brackets. I'm going to start there, but I do thing I need to check everything as if it was a totally new setup. Also, I do think tire pressure is off on the trailer. The tires on the truck are Pirrelli Scorpions (20") street tires. I'll check that tire pressure, too.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Ford says to inflate the Scorpions to 35psi, but I run them at 40psi and it seems to be better for towing. When they wear out, they will be replaced with a truck XL tire.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
I had 20 inch P-series Scorpions on my F150 when new. Dreadful towing. I replaced the Scorpioins with EL (extra load) rated tires (2833 lb. each at 50 psi). The new tires have stiffer sidewalls. Eliminated the sway totally. The Scorpions were far from worn-out and the new tires were expensive. BUT WORTH IT.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileus View Post
I had 20 inch P-series Scorpions on my F150 when new. Dreadful towing. I replaced the Scorpioins with EL (extra load) rated tires (2833 lb. each at 50 psi). The new tires have stiffer sidewalls. Eliminated the sway totally. The Scorpions were far from worn-out and the new tires were expensive. BUT WORTH IT.

So you were experiencing the same problems? If I turn the steering wheel side to side (gently) at freeway speeds, similar to if I was trying to avoid road debris, the truck feels unstable. Takes a couple of seconds to get it straight and stable. Seems crazy to think that is caused by tire pressure. But it could be a combination of that and improper hitch adjustments.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
Exactly.
It made traveling at 45-50 mph a "white-knuckle" experience. Took forever to get anywhere. This with WD hitch and two sway bars tightened as tight as I could turn them. Tires made all the difference for me.
The Airstream had new Maxxis load range E tires --- the sway was not in the trailer, but in the truck.