Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 06:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
South Pasadena , Florida
WD Hitch for Sport 16 and F-150?

We just ordered a 2019 Sport 16 yesterday! This is our first trailer, and we have found a lot of good information on the forum. However, I am still a little confused and have received conflicting information from dealerships on the need for a WD hitch with the trailer and my TV (2017 F-150 4x4 Supercrew Platinum Edition, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10-Speed Transmission, 3.55 Electronic Locking RR axel, Max Trailer Tow Package). I was initially thinking of going with an Equalizer WD hitch with sway control, but I have had 2 dealerships tell me that all I really need is a sway bar. Thoughts? Thank you1
edscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
No vote for WD, tongue weight is only 350 lbs loaded from what I see. Sway bar is a good idea though.
We tow our 19FC 550 lbs. with a Tundra using ball and sway bar only, easy to lash up and tows great.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats on your new trailer!

Some suggestions:

First - check your truck's user manual. It might give you specific instructions on when WD is not required, recommended or required. It should also tell you what it expects for FALR (front axle load restoration) when towing. That can range from 0-100% (meaning - if you took 500# off the front axle and Ford wants 50%FALR, you would need a WD device to put 250# back on the front axle). So check that manual first.

Next - you can get a rough idea of the impact on your specific vehicle when you drop the trailer on the ball. You do this by measuring the height of the front fender of the truck before and after connecting the trailer. It's not exact, but can help you see if dropping the trailer on the ball lifts the front end a foot in the air - well, that's a pretty strong candidate for WD! [emoji3] If it barely moves, not so much.

Third - the only real way to know for sure is to measure it on the scales. Lots of threads here on how to do that.

My suspicion is the 16 is not going to pull a bunch of weight off your front axle. Maybe up to 100#? That's a SWAG so don't go to the bank on that. So the dealers may be right on suggesting only a sway bar (which you DEFINITELY want).

Check out the numbers and report back. You'll get tons of advice. Take it all - including mine - with a salt shaker and know what you want to do [emoji3]

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by edscam View Post
We just ordered a 2019 Sport 16 yesterday! This is our first trailer, and we have found a lot of good information on the forum. However, I am still a little confused and have received conflicting information from dealerships on the need for a WD hitch with the trailer and my TV (2017 F-150 4x4 Supercrew Platinum Edition, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10-Speed Transmission, 3.55 Electronic Locking RR axel, Max Trailer Tow Package). I was initially thinking of going with an Equalizer WD hitch with sway control, but I have had 2 dealerships tell me that all I really need is a sway bar. Thoughts? Thank you1

3000 pounds is 3000 pounds, on any vehicle, and it can sway, regardless of the towed vehicle.

They may be correct that all you NEED is a sway bar.

However it may still be a good idea to have a WDH even on a capable truck. I don't thing it will be a negative.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Marietta , Georgia
We bought a 2013 Sport 16' last Fall and pull it with a Ford Explorer, 6 cyl. w/ tow package. On the advice of a hitch dealer, I decided to see how it performed without any WD hitch or sway control. After 6 trips, I've decided nothing is needed! On the rare occasion that any sway develops (primarily when I'm not paying attention and let my speed build up to 70+), I manually tap the brake controller until the sway damps out. Ran into a fellow camper in the Ozarks that had exactly the same set up as we have. He stated that he had been over the Rockies 1/2 dozen times and twice to Alaska with no problems. Advice to make an initial trip to see how it feels is a good one.
Troutaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
“On the rare occasion when sway develops....”

That statement sure does not make me feel good about that setup.

I would want the WD with some type of active sway control. Perhaps a Reese St line or a Blue Ox. I can see no real advantage to not using a WD hitch.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutaholic View Post
We bought a 2013 Sport 16' last Fall and pull it with a Ford Explorer, 6 cyl. w/ tow package. On the advice of a hitch dealer, I decided to see how it performed without any WD hitch or sway control. After 6 trips, I've decided nothing is needed! On the rare occasion that any sway develops (primarily when I'm not paying attention and let my speed build up to 70+), I manually tap the brake controller until the sway damps out. Ran into a fellow camper in the Ozarks that had exactly the same set up as we have. He stated that he had been over the Rockies 1/2 dozen times and twice to Alaska with no problems. Advice to make an initial trip to see how it feels is a good one.

Remember, sway does not just happen when you can control it by luck. It can happen on a wet road, and now if your instinct is to drag the trailer brakes, you may ensure a jackknife.

I would still use a WDH in any case, regardless of the tow vehicle because you cant always fix the problem.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote