Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Question WD bar storage in bumper compartment?

We have a Reece WD hitch, with two long, heavy bars. I like to store them out of view when camping, and they usually go onto the back seat floor of the truck (no cab cover yet).

This past trip my DH put them both into the bumper storage compartment, after slipping a bag over the end that gets greasy.

My question: is this too much weight to put into this compartment? When parked, only, of course

What is this compartment for, anyway? Can't be locked (or please explain to me how), so we put nothing in it while travelling. And, it is not waterproof during inclement weather. Just wondering!

Thanks!

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It's where I keep the "stinky slinky" on my TT. I don't think it would do the pipes in there any good to get banged around with the WD bars...
Old 06-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
It's where I keep the "stinky slinky" on my TT. I don't think it would do the pipes in there any good to get banged around with the WD bars...
Same here.

I got one of those big plastic storage containers at Target, put it in the back of pickup with the bars, lug wrench, and other assorted trailering stuff.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
WD Bar Storage

Cats,

There is a vendor that shows up at the Florida State Rally each year that sells a rack that attaches to your A Frame just behind the propane tanks that allows you to store both your hitch and WD bars. It also has a lock. I tried to do a google search to find this product but was unsuccessful. I have a Classic with the slide out bumper storage and would be hesitant to store this much weight in there. What I do is leave the hitch in the ball coupler with a pad lock and then use a larger pad lock to lock my WD Bars to the safety chains. Hope these suggestions are of some help.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I keep the sewer hose fittings in a zip lock bag that I can discard and change and a couple of sets of Lynx Levelers in the rear bumper storage. It does get wet as you mentioned, so I pulled out the liner Airstream provided that seems to catch more water and hasten rusting. I also put the bars in there from the dual cam. I wrap the greasy ends in loosely folded over foil and maybe get a few uses out of it before I need to use new pieces of foil. I don't think the weight of those two bars is prohibitive at all while stationary. You might be able to replace the pins with padlocks if you would like to lock the storage. The PO of our Airstream even had padlocks on each of the undercarriage storage buckles.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
She's asking about using this for storage in camp -- not when traveling.

It would be just fine in my opinion.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
She's asking about using this for storage in camp -- not when traveling.

It would be just fine in my opinion.
Well, duh, yeah! Reckon as how I missed that part 'o the post... Oops...
Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Why not store them in the street side locker. I cut some 1/4'' plywood and installed this so that it would not allow grease on the carpet.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Cat View Post
...My question: is this too much weight to put into this compartment? When parked, only, of course ..
No.

I routinely use the bumper area for staging pictures of adorable children during visits to Florida. The static weight you're proposing should be no problem.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigOak.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	104892  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084 View Post
Why not store them in the street side locker. I cut some 1/4'' plywood and installed this so that it would not allow grease on the carpet.
I would, but it is already pretty full in there. Will give it some thought, though. Actually, not so much that it is full, it is just that it is tough to reach in and get everything needed out! I like your plywood idea though, thanks. Carpet under the bed, in the storage hatch, is absurd!

Glad to read that storing in the bumper compartment while not moving should not be a problem. That is the one space we haven't utilized 'till now. Though I will look into figuring out how to lock it, for peace of mind.

Tom, very adorable kids!

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 06-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Same here.

I got one of those big plastic storage containers at Target, put it in the back of pickup with the bars, lug wrench, and other assorted trailering stuff.

I like your idea. To me it seems like a box that is about 4-5 inches high would do the trick. If I could only find one that opened from the end so I could just slide those things in, instead of having a lid on the top, it would be perfect for my truck bed and the way I stack stuff in there.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Why not just throw 'em on the ground up front of the trailer? I started years ago carrying such things inside the trailer storage compartments, but with all the grease etc., eventually moved away from that idea and used the storage for cleaner items.

We also throw the tow bar and bike rack under the tongue of the trailer!

Brian.

PS - of course with a Hensley we now use, the spring bars stay mounted on the trailer anyway!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Why not just throw 'em on the ground up front of the trailer? I started years ago carrying such things inside the trailer storage compartments, but with all the grease etc., eventually moved away from that idea and used the storage for cleaner items.

We also throw the tow bar and bike rack under the tongue of the trailer!

Brian.

PS - of course with a Hensley we now use, the spring bars stay mounted on the trailer anyway!
Well, we worry about the possible expensive inconvenience if one or both bars "walked away". Also, we thought unneccessary exposure to the elements should be avoided.

I often just tie a white plastic grocery back over the ball hitch (to avoid rubbing up against the grease AND keep people from walking into it in a parking lot) and leave it hooked up. We used to take it off, put it in a long plastic container with the bars, but would also need a container that opens from the end because of the way we stack things. This is now the garage storage place.

This was the hitch recommended by Colonial for our truck and Airstream combo and we trusted them. When/IF we go longer, will look into the Hensley (seems kinda complicated for us), Propride (?), etc. - the others that are out there and make a decision.

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Cats,
I don't think there will be an issue storing the bars in the bumper trunk as long as they are placed in gently. I know you are worried about them "getting legs", but hopefully weight distribution bar theft is an uncommon occurrence.

I think the Reese bars have a hole on the end (that attaches to the hitch) and they can be stored on the part of the hitch that is located on the "A" frame that takes up the tension on the chains when towing. I've even seen folks hang potted plants on them when in the stored position.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Hi Carl,

Ours do not have a hole in the end, unfortunately! I think I remember my husband somehow storing them once so they formed a V at the front of the trailer (though I cannot visualize how he did it right now, will have to go out and take a look), so being able to hang plants off of them would be lovely :-)

We've lived in high theft areas before, where even relatively "usless" things to the other person would be taken just for fun, so we are over-cautious. Practically everything gets locked up, at least at night, genie always on a lock (someone prepared with good wire cutters could still win the prize, though!), a closed door or window is a locked door or window, that kind of thing. Even the truck is locked when we are right there on site! Old habit haven't broken yet.

Right now we live in an area where many people do not lock their door, some have admited they lost their key long ago (!) and do not hesitate to leave all day and leave windows open. Wish I could relax like that! Hyper-vigilancy is stressfull :-)

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 06-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Cat View Post
Well, we worry about the possible expensive inconvenience if one or both bars "walked away". Also, we thought unneccessary exposure to the elements should be avoided.

Understand ypur concerns, and surely there is no guarantee, but generally speaking, folks in campgrounds are a very upright and honest bunch!

In forty years of camping, we have yet to have anything "Grow legs" There, I've probably jinxed myself now!

We did originally store stuff inside with plastic bags over the greasy bits, but it was still a hassle and the grease still managed to get where you don't want it!

The only thing we "sometimes" lock up when we leave the trailer at a campsite is our mountain bikes - I doubt we really need to, but they just seem too mobile!

I can understand you wanting to keep the hitch parts looking "Pristine" if you are new to this and they are brand new, but they really won't be harmed by the elements in my view.

In response to your original question though, I wouldn't think there would be any problem at all in storing the bars in the bumper tray.

Happy Trails ......... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote