Old 05-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by valletta
... Bearing in mind I intend to tow a 34 footer with an H2 ,and just to be totaly clear, should I go for the maximum drop tow hitch (10 inches not twelve or who does a twelve?...
issues to consider...

-ball height, it's not the same on ALL 'streams, so MEASURE your trailer on a level surface...

-tongue mass, it's not the same on ALL 34s so weight the tongue, and trailer axles...

-receiver height, it's not the same on ALL h-toooz, so measure the inside upper box height...

-does the h-t000 ((what year is it?)) have auto/air leveling at the rear?

-it's not clear if you are planning to use an ORANGE hitch or not, but 8 inches is their max offering.

b'cup toe-z with an ach-2 and uses a haha ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...rcup-7487.html

as does 66o' (but no haha) ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-11972.html

either might have useful info for ya...

also there are a few threads JUST on these...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ream-2674.html

for 10 and 12 inch bars on conventional hitches, reese has offerings as do the aluminum guys...

...Alumastinger...

generally the deeper drop bars may only be rated to 10k, but some are rated higher

and there are several forums DEDICATED to towing with your vehicle, so check'em out...

also look at the AFTERMARKET RECEIVERS that are compatible, you may find options that ride lower than the oem...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron
Jaxon, you're right. The aftermarket companies have always had to keep up with the trends in the OEMs. It's just part of the business. This receiver issue will, no doubt, push us into a major re-design. After 15 years, maybe it's time anyways.
Ping - What is the timeline? Are all the Hensley owners going to be left with compatibility issues on the new trucks like the Tahoe of the original poster or the 2008 and up Super Duty's as 2Air has pointed out.

2009 Super Duty features are already known - I will probably order a truck soon.

I assume Hensley is on top of the evolution of truck hitch heights and will have a solution soon?

This will be a key topic to see how well Hensley and Pro-pride differentiate themselves in support of these new trucks. I beleive Pro-pride already has a solution in the works, just a matter of going into mass pro.

How 'bout Hensley?

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Double Ping,
My 2005 Suburban in not getting any younger... I would hate to think that my Hensley would not work with a new Suburban....
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
Double Ping,
My 2005 Suburban in not getting any younger... I would hate to think that my Hensley would not work with a new Suburban....
220,000 miles or 12 years, you've quite a ways to go. My father had only two tow vehicles in a 26-year period.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Bump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Ping - What is the timeline? Are all the Hensley owners going to be left with compatibility issues on the new trucks like the Tahoe of the original poster or the 2008 and up Super Duty's as 2Air has pointed out.

2009 Super Duty features are already known - I will probably order a truck soon.

I assume Hensley is on top of the evolution of truck hitch heights and will have a solution soon?

This will be a key topic to see how well Hensley and Pro-pride differentiate themselves in support of these new trucks. I beleive Pro-pride already has a solution in the works, just a matter of going into mass pro.

How 'bout Hensley?
Bumping the thread - any updates from the owner or Hensley?
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Another bump - without having done a thorough search on this topic, was a satisfactory solution figured out in the last 3 and a half years??
Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #35
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
The largest Hensley Mfg offset is 8".

In the Fall of 2006 is when this issue first started with the Airstream. I went across the street with the owner of Hensley Mfg and measured a GM vehicle. at that time I told him that an Airstream would not tow level with that vehicle and the maximum offset of 8".

It's now 5+ years later and the maximum Arrow drop is still 8".

They will tell you that the maximum offset that can be handled by the hitch is an 8" drop.

On the other hand, I have been making and selling extended drop hitch bars for 4.5 years without any issues. The maximum drop on that bar is 12".
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Does additional drop put additional stress on not only the WD hitch, but also on the vehicle frame / support structure. I have heard the term fulcrum used in describing WD hitches and it seems like there would be considerably more stress on the frame/support structure when the additional leverage of the drop comes into play ???
Old 01-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We first purchased our Hensley for the 2007 towing season to match our 03 Pathfinder with our 02 19' Bambi.

We purchased an 09 Pathfinder in 2010 but the 8" stinger left the front of our Bambi 2" high - and obviously 2" low at the back. The rear-end would drag on occasion - most often when getting into or leaving a gas station - and occasionally on an uneven campsite. Also an irritant was the need to lift both trailer tires if we wanted to stay hooked up on a level campsite.

The problem was solved with the fabrication of a stinger with a 10" drop done by Can Am RV this spring. The stability and endurance test was our Alaskan trip - 12,000 KM of ups, downs, dips, dives, potholes, gravel, washboard, broken pavement and one hard-braking incident to avoid a moose that insisted it had the right-of-way.

We've always loved the driving comfort of the Hensley and on this trip there was no sense the hitch performed any less admirably than it has done on any of our past trips.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	148260  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote