Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I use the trailer valet and love it! So easy and quick. Trailer Dolly, Trailer Mover, Tow Dollies | Trailer Valet

Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
P.S....the trailer valet is available on Amazon right now.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #17
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I believe I could do that with my Jeep Wrangler.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie View Post
cwf - you think the carport posts would be strong enough? If so, what weight duty winch? 5000 pounds?
Yes, keep fit low near ground. Mount where the winch sits on the ground so it pulls directly against the bar/beam. If you mount the winch in top, it will fall over toward the AS... Possibly braking something.. It does not need to pull a full 5000#... Also, put blocks on the outside of the crossbar to keep from sliding. There are sales at Northern Tool... Some work off 120VAC. Some off 12VDC. Then there is the old "block and tackle" equipment.... Manual effort.

Lay cable or chain on driveway. Pull AS into drive using TV stopping when hitch is over the chain/cable. Connect cable to AS in a way it cannot disconnect. Using the "safety chains" might be sufficient..if not, you need to upgrade anyway....Chock/Block rear wheels.. BOTH sides. Allow AS to roll back onto the blocks. Make sure it is chocked/blocked!!! CAREFULLY Disconnect AS from TV using the tongue jack with a WHEEL ON IT.. and pull TV to the side. Begin winching and if you have help, it is easier to move the "wheel blocks" as the AS moves ahead... Block every few inches to minimize "rollaway" issue. Once in place, secure.

Reverse process to roll out. May require some nudging to maintain proper path.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I just found a great winch for sale in Austin Craigslist... Looks new! $50!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Just hook the safety chains to the bucket and lift. Keep it low and slow, you should be fine.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Wow, all such great, well thought out ideas. I've been noodling around with ideas of how to do this for months. I obviously should have just posted here!

To start, I'll probably try the winch (especially if I can snag the $50 one from Craigslist), if that turns out to be too difficult, I'll order a Trailer Valet.

I'll update with details once the Bambi is in the driveway!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Fundamental question(s): Why do you need the trailer to be pulled into your driveway/carport hitch first? Supposing you get it all the way in there hitch first, via winch (which sounds like a good idea), motorized dolly, excavator, team of sled dogs, etc., how will you get it back out to the street?

I too have a long skinny driveway, and mine has a nasty little kink to it out at the street. I pull my '73 21' GT into the end of the driveway with the TV, and then attach a hand trailer dolly like pictured above. I muscle (pull by hand) the trailer down my skinny driveway, and then behind the house it widens out to meet the mouth of a 2 car garage. Once I have the trailer in the wide spot, I rotate it 180 degrees so that the hitch is pointing out so that I can pull it back out with the hitch (again by hand). There are plans on Ebay to build a powered trailer dolly, driven by a 12V winch. It is my eventual plan to build one to ease my back.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Hitch first because we actually want to use it in the driveway and don't want the door to be facing the fence.

We'll get it back out to the street the reverse way of the way we get it in.

I have thought of backing it in then trying to turn it around (this was originally my Dad's suggestion). This just seems really complicated to me. If I don't have a winch, I need to bring about 4 of my neighbors or friends to help push it/muscle it around. There is still a light incline, so if we fail, then I'm stuck with my Airstream angled strangely in the driveway and I have to figure out a way to get it out under less than ideal conditions.

If I'm going to do this, I want to do it safely and with control. I also want to be able to get it out of the driveway when I'm done with it. I'll likely pull it in 3 or 4 times a year. With the winch, the blocking behind the wheels every couple of inches is easy enough to do.

I may ultimately end up with one of the TrailerValets. I like what I perceive to be both the ease of use AND the fact that when I want to use it, all I'll have to do is attach it to the on-board batter and go.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I really think the trailer valet is the solution you need. The winch may get you up, but how about going the other way? Is the incline enough?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
This is DESIGNED for your situation:
powercaster I use it to maneuver my 34' AS.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
1) Get the hand dolly. That's a good idea. It's good strategy to have one anyway.

2) Recruit friends to push Bambi into place.

Tom
Old 07-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
ICurrie
Why not just back it in? What are we not seeing here? Driveway looks nice and level and wide enough. Just back that puppy in. jon
Old 07-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #28

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Use a Mini Excavator to Move 19' in Driveway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
ICurrie
Why not just back it in? What are we not seeing here? Driveway looks nice and level and wide enough. Just back that puppy in. jon

Per post #23. Because the door faces the fence when the trailer is backed in, and she wants the door to face the yard so it can be used while parked at home. A great idea IMO.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote