Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Urgent, Advice Needed - Reese Dual Cam broke

Today has been one craptastic day. So this happened in a camp ground, around a corner up and incline that leveled out at 90 degrees and I think it was to much twist on the hitch and pop.

I think we all agree that no sway is a bad idea. Problem is, I'm a long way away from civilization boon docking in the mountains and no idea where I am going to find a fix.

On the ball travel, how far how slow? The spot we came to is full, there is another campground about 20 miles, then I have to figure out where I can find parts, hopefully I can drop and find them in Missoula about two hours away.

Murphy's law right. F me.

Not, side of the road ain't going to work, and the nearest Walmart is two hours away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7325.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	683.2 KB
ID:	243820  
__________________

__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
tinbender's Avatar
 
2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 358
Rocky Mt Truck and Trailer 5680 Expressway Missoula, MT listed on Reese website as authorized dealer. 406-549-4243 9 to 5:30

Best of luck....
__________________

__________________
'01 16' Bambi --- Swee' Pea
'13 23D International --- Trixy
'09 Silverado --- Big Bertha
Adoptee -- '78 Argosy 24' Moho -- Big Girl
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Craptastic for sure!
I have a set sitting in my shop that I ordered and never installed. I have to go to FEDEX tomorrow, so if you'd like I can ship you what you need or the whole set. I bought it from PPL. The PN for the set is 99-1427
__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
norsea's Avatar
 
2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 254
Been There Done That....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Today has been one craptastic day. So this happened in a camp ground, around a corner up and incline that leveled out at 90 degrees and I think it was to much twist on the hitch and pop.

I think we all agree that no sway is a bad idea. Problem is, I'm a long way away from civilization boon docking in the mountains and no idea where I am going to find a fix.

On the ball travel, how far how slow? The spot we came to is full, there is another campground about 20 miles, then I have to figure out where I can find parts, hopefully I can drop and find them in Missoula about two hours away.

Murphy's law right. F me.

Not, side of the road ain't going to work, and the nearest Walmart is two hours away.
Having had the same thing happen to us, I would like to think that I have some qualification(s) to speak to this issue.

First, I will point you to something I wrote up after the fact; this meaning that I pretty much had solved the problem.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-up-43568.html

Bottom line: The individual who installed the hitch did not do it properly.

After completing the work shown in the above referenced post, we put 70K+ miles on the truck/trailer with no problems what so ever.

Regards,

Jim
__________________
We are travelers with an attitude. We get to go anywhere, anytime, and have attitudes about what we see and hear.

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Prairie Schooner II
 
Jim Flower's Avatar

 
2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,182
You can jury rig the weight distribution by attaching the u bolts directly to the spring bars. You must do both spring bars in order to retain some balance. Tie off or disconnect both of the cam assemblies. It's not a catastrophic problem and you should be able to make it to camp without issue. Even if none of this works, you will be ok on the ball. Just easy does it. Good luck. Jim


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
Jim
Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
You can jury rig the weight distribution by attaching the u bolts directly to the spring bars. You must do both spring bars in order to retain some balance. Tie off or disconnect both of the cam assemblies. It's not a catastrophic problem and you should be able to make it to camp without issue. Even if none of this works, you will be ok on the ball. Just easy does it. Good luck. Jim


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Thanks for the advice!! I didn't realize I could do that, but now I see. Just glad to at least have 4G LTE in this area and the forum with it's awesome members.



I googled this topic, and HOLY MOLLY, apparently this happens a lot, to a lot of people.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Craptastic for sure!
I have a set sitting in my shop that I ordered and never installed. I have to go to FEDEX tomorrow, so if you'd like I can ship you what you need or the whole set. I bought it from PPL. The PN for the set is 99-1427
I appreciate this offer so much. I'm not in an area though to receive it, so I using the above advice, we are going to head to Missoula tomorrow, slow and steady and then work from there.

There is an authorized reseller, and two different RV dealerships in Missoula and enough paid camping to setup and figure things out.

Tonight we are resting and trying to destress from panic mode that set in at first.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743


Looks like this will work. Great advice! Now for some beers.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
That will work, for sure.
__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,809
Images: 12
If you replace the Reese Strait Line trailing arm you will have to change your adjustments to prevent this from happening again. If the trailing arm angle is too shallow the outer arm will hit the WD bar when backing up in a tight turn and cause the arm to fail.

I had to grind about a 1/4 in. of material off the outer edge of the yoke body to get clearance.

This is a problem that Reese knows about but has not yet addressed it or given advice on how to overcome it.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #11
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Yeah, we googled this topic last night and was shocked by the number of threads on other forums discussing that part breaking on people. We weren't backing up, but did go around a tight corner that was up hill and leveled off at 90 degrees. It put the truck and trailer at different angles for a moment and that's when we heard the pop and shift in the truck.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
fth
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 48
You could just go with it as you have and install a friction anti sway bar and forget the dual cam altogether. Our cam bent but didn't break and we replaced it for $80, decided to sell it and went with a reconditioned Hemsley. Haven't tried that yet but will tomorrow.
__________________
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
Slowpoke
 
Gnorts's Avatar
 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 255
In looking at your first pic, that hanger plate looks quite bent. That would lead me to believe your setup wasn't adjusted properly. Once you get to Missoula (nice town, btw) and get a new parts (cam and hanger plate), be sure everything is adjusted properly. You need a wrench big enough for those nuts on the threaded shaft - a 12" Crescent will do it. If your other hanger plate is bent like the one in the pic, replace 'em both. Also, if the bearing surface on the intact cam is galled where it was contacting the crook in the spring bar, reverse it and use it on the other side so you'll have a fresh bearing surface.

You will need to find a flat, level paved area like a parking lot and drive in a straight line for about 200 feet and then stop and adjust your cams so they rest exactly in the center of the crook in the end of each spring bar. The cam's round surface should touch the flat surfaces of the crook on both sides.Once you get it adjusted properly, put a small amount of vaseline (I use a tiny bit of silicone grease) on the flat surfaces of the crook where it contacts the cam. Don't use too much, because it will reduce the effectiveness of the anti-sway function.

If I'm maneuvering, and especially if I'm backing, into a tight space, I will often drop the bars before I make the tough moves to keep from over-stressing things. In my case, it involves using the tongue jack to unload the bars, which takes a bit of time, but it's easier on the equipment to do it.

There are some good videos on Youtube that deal with adjusting the Reese cam system. Good luck!
__________________
Like the tortoise, travelin' slow with the house on our back
2012 FC27FB "Ted Zeppelin"
2010 Tundra Crewmax Platinum "Silver Rhino"
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnorts View Post
In looking at your first pic, that hanger plate looks quite bent. That would lead me to believe your setup wasn't adjusted properly. Once you get to Missoula (nice town, btw) and get a new parts (cam and hanger plate), be sure everything is adjusted properly. You need a wrench big enough for those nuts on the threaded shaft - a 12" Crescent will do it. If your other hanger plate is bent like the one in the pic, replace 'em both. Also, if the bearing surface on the intact cam is galled where it was contacting the crook in the spring bar, reverse it and use it on the other side so you'll have a fresh bearing surface.

You will need to find a flat, level paved area like a parking lot and drive in a straight line for about 200 feet and then stop and adjust your cams so they rest exactly in the center of the crook in the end of each spring bar. The cam's round surface should touch the flat surfaces of the crook on both sides.Once you get it adjusted properly, put a small amount of vaseline (I use a tiny bit of silicone grease) on the flat surfaces of the crook where it contacts the cam. Don't use too much, because it will reduce the effectiveness of the anti-sway function.

If I'm maneuvering, and especially if I'm backing, into a tight space, I will often drop the bars before I make the tough moves to keep from over-stressing things. In my case, it involves using the tongue jack to unload the bars, which takes a bit of time, but it's easier on the equipment to do it.

There are some good videos on Youtube that deal with adjusting the Reese cam system. Good luck!
Thanks, it's not bent, it's the photo. The system was purchased in 2007. We just re-adjusted the whole thing in NY just over a month ago, over the scales to 3 times. It was dialed in, and we followed the same steps you outlined above that I pulled off e-trailers videos.

Yesterdays maneuver took me by surprise.But we weren't even going to camp here. Just pulling thru.

And like you, I typically unload the bars before pulling into a spot. Two reasons, I can turn into tighter spots and not worry about the bars taking off my foot even with the jack taking off tension, and I've found it's easier to back around corners.

Thanks for all the great advice though. Much appreciated. I've gotta redo the whole thing anyways when I get the replacement part.
__________________

__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reese friction to Reese Dual Cam ? Kistler Our Community 7 07-01-2003 08:53 PM
Reese dual cam sway - fit??? Craig Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 06-18-2003 05:50 AM
Reese dual cam problems Kistler Our Community 29 04-01-2003 08:52 AM
Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam Sway Control? VWMARTINEZ Hitches, Couplers & Balls 19 03-19-2003 07:17 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.