Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #21
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

I'll take ya up on beers and war stories when we make it thru Texas.
Cool, I look forward to it

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile reese dual cam

Quote:
Today has been one craptastic day. So this happened in a camp ground, around a corner up and incline that leveled out at 90 degrees and I think it was to much twist on the hitch and pop.

I think we all agree that no sway is a bad idea. Problem is, I'm a long way away from civilization boon docking in the mountains and no idea where I am going to find a fix.

On the ball travel, how far how slow? The spot we came to is full, there is another campground about 20 miles, then I have to figure out where I can find parts, hopefully I can drop and find them in Missoula about two hours away.

Murphy's law right. F me.

Not, side of the road ain't going to work, and the nearest Walmart is two hours away.
When reese redesigned dual cam from arm into saddle with threaded end was bad design as they break at nut end of threads, old style douse not have threads for adjustment, simply move back and forth on a frame to adjust.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #23
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Urgent, Advice Needed - Reese Dual Cam broke

You can move the chain from the hanger to the spring bar directly, hence the matching holes. This way you'll have weight distribution not sway control!
I did this 2 times lady year after the same failures!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
When reese redesigned dual cam from arm into saddle with threaded end was bad design as they break at nut end of threads, old style douse not have threads for adjustment, simply move back and forth on a frame to adjust.
It really isn't a bad design, IMO. One just needs to make sure that you have 5 links under tension, minimum, in order for the turnbuckle body not to interfere with the spring bar in sharp maneuvers. And, yes, I do own and have used this design, prior to my HAHA. Still have it as my 2nd favorite hitch...for backup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It really isn't a bad design, IMO. One just needs to make sure that you have 5 links under tension, minimum, in order for the turnbuckle body not to interfere with the spring bar in sharp maneuvers. And, yes, I do own and have used this design, prior to my HAHA. Still have it as my 2nd favorite hitch...for backup.

I also used the Reese Dual Cam with my 25 ft Safari and was very pleased with it's performance for over 300,000k. Not a single issue. It is also my current backup. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I've been extremely happy towing with it. I've now towed from FL to NY from NY to OH from OH to MI, SD, WY and finally to MT where I am now. Never once have I felt sway.

For the most part, I think this was a freak thing based on a set of circumstances that combined.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Urgent, Advice Needed - Reese Dual Cam broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
Having had the same thing happen to us, I would like to think that I have some qualification(s) to speak to this issue.

First, I will point you to something I wrote up after the fact; this meaning that I pretty much had solved the problem.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-up-43568.html

Bottom line: The individual who installed the hitch did not do it properly.

After completing the work shown in the above referenced post, we put 70K+ miles on the truck/trailer with no problems what so ever.

Regards,

Jim

That's a great thread. Have sent it as reference to others plenty of times.

HowieE knows the DC like few others. There are also some initiates on WOODALLS. JBarca has a series of outstanding threads and posts on quite a few TT tow aspects.

And unless they've updated, the e-trailer vids aren't too good. SOP, which means the usual poor setup seen on every highway.

My father and grandfather both used the DC going back about fifty years now.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #28
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Yeah I read thru that. I pretty much figure I'm going to be driving into town to setup the hitch all over again. While I always assumed I had it setup correct, there are a few errors I made that I realized from that thread.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #29
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
For starters, I'm ordering new bars. I've been using 1200 lb bars, because that's what came with the trailer and like a yoyo, I ASSUMED.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
For starters, I'm ordering new bars. I've been using 1200 lb bars, because that's what came with the trailer and like a yoyo, I ASSUMED.

Assumed what? TW?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #31
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Just that everyone was correct because the trailer was level and truck was level. Reading some of Andy's points on the finer adjustments. Especially using the smaller bars. I ordered 600b bars based on recommendations in that thread to compare to. Andy's advice seems to contradict Reese, but everyone agrees it's the better ride.

I'm also wondering if the truck and Airstream will ride smoother because of this. For starters, looking over the photos, I've never had any bend in my bars. They've always been parallel.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ask Thomson for weight recommendation on bars. You have some scale numbers and I assume the loaded solo truck weight for deduced TW. 800 might be spot on for "equal squat" of TV.

And I assume you are referencing his Hitch Hints column from 11/2014.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #33
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Ask Thomson for weight recommendation on bars. You have some scale numbers and I assume the loaded solo truck weight for deduced TW. 800 might be spot on for "equal squat" of TV.

And I assume you are referencing his Hitch Hints column from 11/2014.
Yup, I think you may be right. We got the parts yesterday and got everything setup and installed today. And drove to our new campground. I forgot to take a photo of the setup, but I even stopped for CAT scale slips, with disappointing results.

I will say, we must of finally got the cam am's adjusted properly. She felt very straight and completely more planted than before. I don't know how to describe it, other than now I think about before and just think, WTF was I doing. Total ignorance.

I'm not sure about the 600 lbs bars.

Since I didn't take a photo, I wanted to ask about bend in the bars. At 5 links under tension we have ZERO bend in the 600 lbs bars. Never had any in the 1200 lbs bars either.

I tried 4 links on the cat scales, and we somehow ended up with 60lbs on the Airstream, and then gaining more weight on the rear truck axle and loosing it on the front of the axle. Which I found very odd.

So I think I need to understand how to pivot the hitch head properly. I believe we have to much on the truck and need to pivot back to the Airstreams axles.

I will post up my slips shortly. And try to hitch up when the rain passes and get some photos.

The only photo I took today was this.

But I know I am not done with this.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:33 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
It looks like you may be a tad low at the front of the Airstream. Measure to confirm that the height at the bow and stern are the same. If you are low at the front, move the ball up a hole on the shank. I think you have an air suspension on the Ram so the Ram height differential will not change regardless of the force on the bars but axel weight will change. Ensure that the ball angle is at the max downward tilt so that you can increase the force on the bars at 5 links under stress. You do not want less than 5 links under stress. Good luck. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #35
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
It looks like you may be a tad low at the front of the Airstream. Measure to confirm that the height at the bow and stern are the same. If you are low at the front, move the ball up a hole on the shank. I think you have an air suspension on the Ram so the Ram height differential will not change regardless of the force on the bars but axel weight will change. Ensure that the ball angle is at the max downward tilt so that you can increase the force on the bars at 5 links under stress. You do not want less than 5 links under stress. Good luck. Jim
I don't have air suspension, it's a 2010. The hitch height, front tongue and rear are all spot. Airstream is level.

Slowmover sent me some really useful info that I think will help me square this all away.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #36
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Bold,
It looks very level to me.
Read the summer 2010 Airstream Life article by AndrewT "Why is your Hitch Crooked?" if you haven't already.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
There are instructions with new Reese hitches how and where to set the angle of the ball, if you don't have it check their website.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
It's me. I didn't think mine was level and tried to convince myself that my tape was wrong. Something must have happened to me on the "Magnetic Hill" when I was a kid. I am going back there next week. Perhaps it will fix it self. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums