Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #15
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I think the stirups are part of a dual cam setup.
Attached Images

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I guess I am confused about the bars, do I need 1 500 ( or 750) or 2 ? And any Reese bars will fit?

1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Not sure if "any" Reese bars will fit but I think what you have is called the "trunion" style head which I believe refers to the square style of bars of which there are various capacity. 750# is a good guess but if you talk to an experieced dealer and give them the tongue weight and TV they should be able to tell you exactly. You will need a pair of bars. Take the whole set-up (except what's bolted to the trailer) with you to the dealer. Might be helpfull to have the pictures too. Ask if you can bring it by when you've got it hooked up for them to check it out.

One thing I don't know is if the rating refers to the load transfering ability of one bar or if it's for the pair? I had assumed it was the amount of upward pull one bar is designed to have but they could be rating them completely different; like trying to match tongue weight or such.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Reese Strait-Line Trailer Hitch

Greetings ALANSD!

Originally Posted by ALANSD
I guess I am confused about the bars, do I need 1 500 ( or 750) or 2 ? And any Reese bars will fit?
You definitely have a Reese Strait-Line Trailer hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control that is of the same era as your coach. I have a similar setup that I use to tow both my Overlander and Minuet. Modern Reese Weight distribution bars are comatible with your hitch -- it will be necessary to be careful when buying the weight distribution bars -- it is still possible to find dealers who have stocks of both the older style bars that require a steel saddle that is bolted to the end of the bar (replaces the chain on the bar) as well as the more recent design that has an extended notch on the end of th bar that performs the same function without requiring the additional parts.

Your hitch will require a matched pair of Trunion style weight distribution bars. Required capacity of the bars will be somewhat dependent upon two factors -- the tongue weight of the coach when it is loaded for a typical expedition, and the tow vehicle being utilized. A lighter bar is typically utilized with a stiffly sprung tow vehicle -- for instance:

With my '75 Cadillac Eldorado (soft boulevard-ride springing):
    • '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre -- 525 pound hitch weight -- 600 pound bars have proven to be near ideal.
    • '64 Overlander International -- 725 pound hitch weight -- 800 pound bars have proven to be near ideal.
With my '99 K2500 Suburban (3/4-ton SUV with 10,000 pound trailer towing package):
    • '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre -- 525 pound hitch weight -- 350 pound bars have proven ideal -- but I don't know what I will do if one breaks or wears out as these are no longer available -- they were part of an early Reese Weight Distributing hitch designed for the light weight trailers introduced in the late 1970s--early 1980s.
    • '64 Overlander International -- 725 pound hitch weight -- 600 pound bars a bit under-sized while the 800 pound bars are a good deal too heavy for good performance of the Dual Cam -- I am utilizing 600 pound bars, but would be much happier with 700 pound bars.
I would also suggest trying to find a local dealer who is familiar with the Reese equipment, particularly the Strait-Line hitches. If the dealer isn't familiar with or does not regularly sell hitches with Dual Cam Sway control, there is the potential of getting bars that aren't ideally suited to your particular towing combination.

Good luck with your hitch setup!

I have attached a photo of my Minuet and Cadillac with the Strait-Line Hitch setup ready for travel. The weight distribution bars are of the older style with the bolt-on steel saddle that rests in the "stirrups" mounted on the trailer's tongue. The newer bars with the extneded "hooked" ends work just as well and you wouldn't need to purchase a pair of the "saddles" separately when purchasing your new bars.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote