Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Here's page 22 in the user manual section on hitching up. Notice step 9 in particular. Routing the chains UNDER the head is critical. Between the bars applies all kinds of torque to the stinger in any turn.

Hitching and Unhitching

Step 1: Chock your trailer tires.
Hitching

Step 2: Back your tow vehicle slowly toward the front of the Main Hitch Unit until you are about 2” from the hitch.

Step 3: Adjust the tongue jack until the hitch bar is approximately centered in the 3”x3” hitch box opening.

Step 4: Back slowly into the Main Hitch Unit inserting your Hitch Bar Hitch End into the hitch box. When the wedges are seated in the hitch box you will have approximately 1/8” of the wedge showing out of the front of the hitch.

Step 5: Latch the Over-Center-Latch (OCL) on to the Hitch Bar Tab on each side. Use the OCL Wrench included with the hitch (15/16” Socket and Breaker Bar).

Step 6: Insert the 7/16” Lynch Pin in the Hitch Bar Tab and snap the wring down over the tab on each side.

Step 7: Raise the Weight Distribution Jack with the 3/4” Ratchet Wrench included with the hitch. Raise the Jack on each side until you either lift the trailer off of the tongue jack or you raise it to your desired ride.

Step 8: Raise the tongue jack.

Step 9: IMPORTANT – IMPORTANT – IMPORTANT – Route your tow chains UNDER the Main Hitch Unit and BETWEEN where the Spring Bars insert in the bottom of the Main Hitch Unit. When you are straight in line with your trailer the chains are the longest they ever need to be. When routed properly they should hang about 1” from the bottom of the Main Hitch Unit.

Step 10: Route your electrical connection over the top of the Main Hitch Unit and plug it into the vehicle.

Step 11: Hook up your emergency brake cable.

ProPride, Inc. Page 22
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It seems like it would take a lot to twist that receiver bar, maybe if somebody run into the drop bar portion while parked or if it was accidentally backed against a big rock. Might be a good idea to check your truck hitch attachment points for damage, bending or cracked welds.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have difficulty believing that draw bar was bent in use, but the vehicle's receiver hitch was undamaged. Forget about the 2" square steel, the joining plates are 1/2" thick, and the heaviest material typically in a receiver is 1/4".

Not saying it didn't happen, just saying I have a hard time believing it.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Ok. Here's the difference between "under" and "through". If you go back to my picture - that shows chains UNDER the ProPride entirely. It's really critical for you to remember whether you had them in that position - or THROUGH the bars which, if you look at my picture would mean you brought the chains backwards (to the left side of the picture) to go under then over the weight distribution bars and forward (to the right of the picture) to the tow vehicle.

Can you remember exactly how the chains were connected to the tow vehicle? It takes an awful lot of force to twist a 2" (or in my case, a 2.5") steel "brick" like the ProPride stinger. If your safety chains were wired around the weight distribution bars, that would apply an enormous amount of pressure to the stinger it's not expected to see (with safety chains under the head as described in the user manual).
The link in Ron Gratz' post contains a photo with a comment by Sean approving how the chains are run in that photo. I do the same thing. I'm going to the trailer this weekend so I'll double check.
Tintini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintini View Post
The link in Ron Gratz' post contains a photo with a comment by Sean approving how the chains are run in that photo. I do the same thing. I'm going to the trailer this weekend so I'll double check.

Yes - that's also my photo in that thread with my setup. The point is - the chains go underneath the head and in between the weight distribution bars.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Twisted PP Stinger

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1422723228.629931.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  111.4 KB

Here is a photo ...not mine....but from the web...note the chains also crossed over

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hard to imagine that 2" chunk of steel twisting before something else breaks or bends - have you checked the integrity of the hitch attachment or can you see just from looking at the stinger that it is actually twisted longitudinally?

Is it possible that due to the bolted connection of the Pro Pride stinger compared to the welded construction of the Hensley that the bolts/side plates have distorted and not the 2" bar itself?

As for how it happened, is it possible you could have been in a situation whereby one vehicle - either tow vehicle or trailer - was on level ground while the other vehicle was somehow on a steep side to side slope?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintini View Post
---I'm going to the trailer this weekend so I'll double check.
Jeff, while you're visiting the trailer --

How much vertical offset is there between the stinger and the part of the adjustable drawbar assembly which inserts into the receiver?

A couple side view photos and a top view photo of the drawbar assembly might be informative.
A close-up front view photo of the front end of the bar which inserts into the receiver, also showing the front edges of the two side plates of the adjustable drawbar also would be good (could provide a measure of the degree of twist).
Also a close-up shot of the portion of the stinger where the paint is flaked off.

Is there any evidence of distortion of the square cross section of the receiver opening?

Is there any evidence of drawbar or WD bar paint on the chain links?
Or any other evidence of contact between chain and drawbar or chain and WD bar?

Is there any evidence of slippage of the yoke frame bracket?

Is there any evidence of roll-axis contact between the flange of the ball coupler and ball shank or the upper rear portion of the hitch?

Based on what we know so far, it's hard to imagine what would have caused the twist you've described.

Ron
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #29
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Had a new PP installed yesterday on my '15 Classic. I did about 25,000 miles on the PP on my '12 28' Intl CCD (new owner bought the PP with the trailer). I really hope that somebody will come up with the "what happened" on this. I'm sure Sean is just as anxious to figure the cause as all the rest of us PP owners!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
These hitch types are most likely to be damaged in crossing ditches, high RR tracks, etc, where TV and TT are each in a different plane. The longer the drop on the stinger, the more likely it is what takes the most damage.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Ok. Here's the difference between "under" and "through". If you go back to my picture - that shows chains UNDER the ProPride entirely. It's really critical for you to remember whether you had them in that position - or THROUGH the bars which, if you look at my picture would mean you brought the chains backwards (to the left side of the picture) to go under then over the weight distribution bars and forward (to the right of the picture) to the tow vehicle.

Can you remember exactly how the chains were connected to the tow vehicle? It takes an awful lot of force to twist a 2" (or in my case, a 2.5") steel "brick" like the ProPride stinger. If your safety chains were wired around the weight distribution bars, that would apply an enormous amount of pressure to the stinger it's not expected to see (with safety chains under the head as described in the user manual).
The only way for the chains to go under the ProPride entirely is to drop them through the bars. They connect to the tongue such that if they drop straight down from the point at which they connect, they end up between the bars. I then run them under the bars and under the entire head to the TV.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
Jeff, while you're visiting the trailer --

How much vertical offset is there between the stinger and the part of the adjustable drawbar assembly which inserts into the receiver?

THE MINIMUM AMOUNT PERMITTED BY THE BOLTED CONNECTION.

A couple side view photos and a top view photo of the drawbar assembly might be informative.
A close-up front view photo of the front end of the bar which inserts into the receiver, also showing the front edges of the two side plates of the adjustable drawbar also would be good (could provide a measure of the degree of twist).
Also a close-up shot of the portion of the stinger where the paint is flaked off.

I'LL TRY TO POST PHOTOS, BUT NEED TO RELY UPON MY IT PERSON (DW) TO BE ABLE TO DO SO.

Is there any evidence of distortion of the square cross section of the receiver opening?

NO

Is there any evidence of drawbar or WD bar paint on the chain links?
Or any other evidence of contact between chain and drawbar or chain and WD bar?

NO

Is there any evidence of slippage of the yoke frame bracket?

I DON'T KNOW. I DON'T THINK SO BUT I DIDN'T FLY SPECK IT WHEN I WAS AT THE TRAILER LAST WEEKEND.

Is there any evidence of roll-axis contact between the flange of the ball coupler and ball shank or the upper rear portion of the hitch?

I DON'T KNOW. SEE IMMEDIATELY ABOVE.

Based on what we know so far, it's hard to imagine what would have caused the twist you've described.

I'M BEGINNING TO AGREE THAT IF IT HAPPENED DURING USE, OTHER DAMAGE OR MOVEMENT OF THE YOKE WOULD BE EVIDENT.

Ron
Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #33
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I've just purchase a 2012 Intl. 19 Airstream. Watching the thread as I'm pondering buying a Hensley or a PP.
Not clear, has PP offered to replace the unit for you at no cost? This is important in my decision - which company gives best customer support.

I know a Hensley or PP is overkill for a 19, but we had a Hensley years back on a 22 Airstream and found it well worth the cost.

PP was not available then - have to decide which is best - at this moment I'm leaning to the Hensley Swift Cub.
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Why should Sean offer to replace it? It does not sound like a product defect, although we do not know what did cause the problem. Something out-of-the-ordinary happened to deform that steel.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's still unclear how this bar twisted. No photo of it posted. I don't see it as a customer service issue unless there was a manufacturing fault in this particular unit, and there is no indication there was.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I think in post 32 above the OP agrees (in a response to Ron G) that the damage may have happened while not in use since there isn't any other damage noticed anywhere. I'd still love to see some pics. Hard to know exactly what happened here.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #37
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had a bar twist when either the hitch pin fractured or the key lock on the hitch pin failed. The pin was lost somewhere between Santa Fe and Roswell.

I had towed about 200 miles on fairly straight road with no inkling of anything being wrong when I pulled into a WalMart in Roswell and had to make an emergency turning stop when a car cut me off. The stinger had apparently partially pulled out of the receiver with no pin and the trailer rear-ended me with a terrible crash.

The bar that inserts into the receiver was slightly bent and slightly twisted at the point where it was weakened by the hole for the hitch pin. It pulled out of the receiver with no problem, but the hole was distorted enough that a hitch pin could not be inserted.

I replaced that part of the stinger and found that I have maybe a 1 degree curve to the assembled stinger. It curves just enough to see with the eye when looking down from above. I have towed several thousand miles since and the very slight curve is not causing me any problem. I just returned from a 2000 miles trip to Tuscon and the PP still works fine.

It did distort the 2" reducing sleeve for my class 5 hitch to the point that it can not be removed by hand. That is just extra insurance that I won't lose the sleeve if I forget to insert the pin.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well my good friend and retired professional mechanical engineer calculated 2900 lbs-ft of torque to permanently twist a 2" square mild steel bar 6" between the support and the applied moment.

So if we have a twist in a 2" square hitch draw bar, we know we are looking for a crazy big bunch of torque.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
I've just purchase a 2012 Intl. 19 Airstream. Watching the thread as I'm pondering buying a Hensley or a PP.
Not clear, has PP offered to replace the unit for you at no cost? This is important in my decision - which company gives best customer support.

I know a Hensley or PP is overkill for a 19, but we had a Hensley years back on a 22 Airstream and found it well worth the cost.

PP was not available then - have to decide which is best - at this moment I'm leaning to the Hensley Swift Cub.
I guess you will have to call Hensley and get your answer.