Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

Springville , Alabama
Tundra w/ Equalizer Hitch

We have a 2010 Tundra 4x4 TRD w/ towing pkg. & we have purchased a 28' Safari. We are driving from Alabama to Houston to pick it up. We are trying to save ourselves time at the dealership by asking for ball height, washer count, L-bracket position, etc. so we can get the hitch set-up before we get there. We have the 10,000 lb hitch w/ 1000 bars. Thanks
Booger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hitch set-up.

Hi, I think a good dealer would set it up for you, just because you bought your trailer from them. My dealer not only set mine up, free, but gave it to me free.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think most the things you are asking for are variable until you actually set the trailer on the hitch, and see how much the truck settles, and then needs to be lifted by the weight distribution bars to level the trailer, and restore weight to the front axle of the truck.

A standard for this hitch I believe, is to bolt the L-bracket assembly 32'' behind the ball, as in the instructions. The copper gas line from the propane tanks will have to be unclamped and routed under these brackets.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #4

Springville , Alabama
Hitch position

I understand that for the final adjustments that I will have to go with works best for me but I was hoping that someone had close to the same Truck and Trailer set up as what I have that would get me close.I have bought it from a non Airstream dealer so they will probaly not be able to help me very much.I saved my hitch from where I was pulling a Keystone Hobby with a 2006 Dodge Mega cab with a Cummings 4x4 and then we went to fifth wheels and I havent used it since so I am wanting to get the thing in the right holes as far as height,washers,If someone already has a Tundra with a 28footer Safari or something close than I am almost sure their settings will be close enough for a safe ride back home then I can take all the time I need to set it up to my liking.The Dodge was alot taller than the Tundra.I am installing Air bags before I go so that will help alot. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Dkottum is correct, there is not much preset other than what the Progressive (Equalizer) folks include in the manual. They do advise a starting position or default settings, including number of washers to tilt the hitch head and which hole to start the L-brackets on. The instructions link is http://www.equalizerhitch.com/support/instructions.php in case you don't already have it.

Regardless of brand of dealer, a hitch is a hitch as far as installing safely and securely. Hopefully they even can reasonably tune it before you leave. It isn't rocket science and should be done before you leave so you have full benefits of weight distribution and sway dampening from this fine hitch.

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
You can call the service dept. at Equalizer if you need to. They were very helpful to me setting up my hitch.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You can't assume a dealer will install it correctly. Our dealer did not nor did they move the propane line. Once I reinstalled the Equalizer, it did tow better. There are other threads that explain the process of adjusting this hitch, so try the search option. As it breaks in, you may have to add a washer or two, so adjusting can be expected. Our dealer didn't even include the extra washers or the instructions, so I had to buy some washers (#8 hardness) and get the instructions online.

It shouldn't matter what brand it is—if they know how to install this brand and they are willing to take the time (that's a big one because it costs them money), they should be able to do it right.

The trailer did tow well though the hitch was maladjusted, just better after I did it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
little rock , Arkansas
I have an 07 Tundra DC 4x4 with tow package. I pull a 1975 Sovereign 31 with canter bath. I have a 12k Eaze lift WD hitch with 1000 lb bars. I set the ball height so that the base of the ball is about 1.5 inches below the bottom of the receiver. That makes the top of the ball somewhere around 20.5 inches from the ground unloaded. Hopefully that ballpark figure will help...
kos221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Ask to have the dealer install for you - most do!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #10

Springville , Alabama
Thanks for the replies.But we didnt get the trailer it had corrison all over it and the inside was very dirty,maybe never been cleaned so we passed on this one still on the hunt for another one
Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
And now you have all this helpful background info already discovered, digested, and filed away. Next time you'll be ahead of the game at least on hitches. This forum is great!

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bummer Booger. There are more out there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote