Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I have an Equalizer hitch, a 25 Safari and a diesel Excursion. I have a small amount of sag. It doesn't appear to have gotten any worse. I will readjust per dkottums instructions.
I have 1000 lb spring bars. I stick them in any way they will fit. I can't imagine it would make any difference how they are inserted.
When I was running E range Maxxis', I had quite a bit of hobbyhorsing which was unpleasant. I imagine the hobbyhorsing would be as bad or worse with a lighter tow vehicle. It went away when I switched to Michelin 235 R 15 XL tires. They are inflated to 50 pounds and make a huge difference to the better in the ride of the rig.
600 lb spring bars would help the ride also but I have never gotten around to buying a set.
I towed in Mexico with the old tires before they blew up and the trailer got beaten up by the crappy roads. I hope I didn't bend the tongue. How do you check for a bent tongue? Run a yardstick on it? Is there any other test?
I have 200k+ miles on the Excursion, much of them towing something. I notice that the hole in the receiver (where the pin is inserted) in the vehicle is somewhat enlarged. This thread got me thinking that my hitch may be bending up in the receiver due to the englarged pin hole increasing trailer sag. Has anyone encountered this problem?
With the OEM receiver on newer (2000+ maybe earlier) GMs the bending receivers are way way way to common.

Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orange County , California
Wow! What great info from all. I sure appreciate all the advice. I think my issue is less about the set up, which I had dialed in almost perfect, and more about the slow change in the levelness of the TV and the trailer.

Crawford Gene: Thanks for taking the time for a very informative response. I too was amazed when hooking up without the WD active. There is no way I could tow without. I have purchased the thin-walled socket for the ball and a 3/4" drive breaker bar along with a 3/4" to 1/2" drive no problem with all the monster torques. Instead of adding washers I actually removed one and moved up one position on the L-brackets, with good results. Trailer is perfectly level and the truck is back where it should be. My front wheel well measurement does not change, and the rear is exactly one inch lower when loaded and hitched with the WD. The torsion bars are close to level with just a little bend. I keep the set bolt tight as prescribed in the manual, and check all of the other bolts for tightness. This was my reason for wondering about the WD bars being consistent with placement. It is the only thing that I have not paid attention to.

I did a re-adjust and I am happy with the results. We are heading out for the 4th...but only 15 miles it may take time to see if things hold. Here are pics of my latest (6th or 7th tweak) set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1437.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	162137

No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'13, I'll have you adjust mine next!

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
After a couple seasons of success with my Equalizer, I'm about ready to move on to something else. The link plates now walk pretty significantly, even during a 50 mile tow. I've re-straightened the link plates the best I can, added the suggested spacer at the bottom of the link plates to prevent bowing, torque carefully in 5 lb increments, yet I find it necessary to readjust every couple of legs. Even if the plates don't move, the L-brackets swing due to the slop in the bracket mounting holes. The L-brackets are starting to deform so that they are no longer square. I've already replaced the L-pins due to them deforming, and now the second set is showing signs of the same. I dont have a whole lot of WD cranked in, so I'm curious why the brackets and pins are bending.

When it works, I like the system. It's solid, and easy to hook up.

So I'm faced with replacing the link plates, L brackets, and L-pins (which will add up in cost) or replace tne whole thing with Reese or other. How it behaves for the rest of this trip will be the deciding factor.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orange County , California
Are you applying any grease to the L-Backets? I did not at first and had lots of noise and a little movement of the L-Brackets...none since.

No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote