Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Apparently, the way Airstreams are constructed where the frame and shell are fastened and work together, they are more susceptible to damage from heavy duty truck/heavy duty w.d. bars; according to Airstream repair shop owners who have posted here, particularly Andy from Inland RV.

For this reason he has consistently advised lighter w.d. bars than what the manufacturer or dealers who sell many brands of trailers recommend.

I think he would recommend no larger than 800# bars for your rig, as a previous post indicates your tow vehicle is a heavy duty truck towing your 25' Airstream, which is at the higher side of tolerance by your trailer in itself.

doug k

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
1200 lb bars will always work and the dealer does not have to have more than one type in stock. They won't work right but they will always be able to lift the rear end of what ever vehicle that you put them on. It would be like replacing the springs on your car with a solid piece of metal. It will hold the car up but won't absorb any loads.

Perry

Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
1200 lb bars will always work and the dealer does not have to have more than one type in stock. They won't work right but they will always be able to lift the rear end of what ever vehicle that you put them on. It would be like replacing the springs on your car with a solid piece of metal. It will hold the car up but won't absorb any loads.

Perry
Perry,

You are correct. The dealer I purchased my 800 pound bars from only had 1200 pound bars in stock. He had to order lighter bars. No doubt he is reducing inventory investment by carrying only one size. His sales department is configuring all customers buying trailers with 1200 pound bars. However he was happy to special order the lighter bars when I asked. Lessons:

1) Dealers don't always look after the best interest of the customer
2) It pays to become educated before buying.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
1200 lb bars are very stiff. 1200lb is the nominal load when the trailer and tow vehicle are level. Now when the angle is increased like when you go up a drive way the force on the bars can go way up. Also if the bars are too tight the likelyhood of breaking something goes way up. I don't know of many trailers that have a 1200lb tongue weight. I don't see a good side to 1200lb bars on anything that Airstream makes. Maybe if you are hauling 15000lb of wet sand in a dump trailer with an F-150 they might be of use.

Perry
I would't want 1200lb bars on my Safari either.I just do not see a 1200lb spring being harder on a trunion with an 6000lb load vs a 12000llb load
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
I would't want 1200lb bars on my Safari either.I just do not see a 1200lb spring being harder on a trunion with an 6000lb load vs a 12000llb load
Just sitting there it won't make a difference. When backing into the driveway the heavier bar begins lifting the back of the truck and front of the trailer rather than flexing. Same driving down uneven roadways, only much more rapidly.

doug k
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Just sitting there it won't make a difference. When backing into the driveway the heavier bar begins lifting the back of the truck and front of the trailer rather than flexing. Same driving down uneven roadways, only much more rapidly.

doug k
Yes, Doug has it right here. But, IIRC, Reese utilizes the same head for all their spring bar ratings (unlike EQ) so the head should have been able to take the pressures of any of their bar offerings. It was a weak point in the design, and I believe has been corrected in production.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Temple , New Hampshire
Received and installed new trunnion head. It is much improved from the previous one. A lot of material has been added.

The old head p/n #112750 showed quite a bit of wear in the area that failed (lack of lubrication?) . I took some rough measurements on both heads.

OLD: corner of failed section- .269", area of failure- .125"
NEW: area that failed on old head- .430"

The p/n for the new part is 58167 and I would suggest that it would be wise to check which you have and keep an eye on wear.

The next step is to replace the 1200# bars.Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC10017.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	178493
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrocks View Post
I just purchased a 2008 25' AS with a Reese dual cam WD hitch with 1200# spring bars. When backing up my driveway for the first time I heard a loud pop and when I checked the drivers side spring bar was on the ground. After I checked the hitch I found that the trunnion head had ripped the cast iron ear that holds it in. My driveway is is sloped up from the road.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I spoke with a tech. rep. from Reese and he has seen this before. He stated that Reese has beefed up the new hitches in this area. I saw an online message from someone that had this occur after going over a dip in the road.

My thoughts as to possible causes are: ball too high- resulting in extreme angle between vehicles when backing up a grade, too stiff springs.

Any help that does not include buying a Hensley or PP would be appreciated.

Attachment 178065
While the 1200 bars may be too stiff, I will give you my experience with Reese, for what it's worth.

I'm moving up to a 25 FC FB with a hitch weight of approx. 830lbs. I've got 1000 bars that were delivered with my new 23 FC FB from an AS dealer. The salesman on the new AS (who in my opinion is very reputable) asked if I had popped any rivests, to which I said, "a few". He suggest the 1000 bars were too stiff.

Sooooooo, I had a nice visit with Reese's tech support. While he didn't completely toss the salesman's comments about the 1000 being too stiff, out of hand, he didn't believe the 1000 bars to be detrimental.

He did go on to say, that OPTIMUM configurations would be, to have bars rated slightly above the hitch weight. For my new 25, the 1000 bars will be a perfect fit, in his opinion.

AND, that's probably the gist of my post…everyone has an opinion; some are perhaps more believable than others. In the end after you've done your due diligence, go with your convictions.

Good luck!

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote