Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Trailer rides a little high

So I got a replacement hitch and equalizer bars at the Branson rally last Fall. On this one there isn't anyway to adjust the height so the front of the trailer rides a little high. I like this hitch, the trailer pulls good and steady, it's not as massive as the Husky I had before that would drop the equalizer bars. So the question is Is if bad fir the trailer to pull it riding a little high? Is it hard on the back axel, or the shocks? If we pull off at Walmart and are hitched our feet are a little high but beyond that on a long trip am I asking for trouble?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	traier.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	96504  

Old 02-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
So I got a replacement hitch and equalizer bars at the Branson rally last Fall. On this one there isn't anyway to adjust the height so the front of the trailer rides a little high. I like this hitch, the trailer pulls good and steady, it's not as massive as the Husky I had before that would drop the equalizer bars. So the question is Is if bad fir the trailer to pull it riding a little high? Is it hard on the back axel, or the shocks? If we pull off at Walmart and are hitched our feet are a little high but beyond that on a long trip am I asking for trouble?
Rich.

A tandem axle should ride as level as possible. If not, the load impressed on one axle will be greater than should be and on the other, less than it should be.

From the photo, it appears that the axle rubber rods have given out, since the top of the wheel is at the wheel well height.

New axles, with a good starting angle, I would think would raise the trailer high enough, making the hitch height fall into place correctly.

That would solve the issue.

Put the axles thru the tests.

Andy

Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'm not expert enough to give a definitive answer, but yes. I would also be cautious about causing handling problems in panic stops and fishtailing. Also more likely to bottom out the rear on driveways, etc.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I personally would not want the front of the trailer riding high. And by looking at your picture, it looks like your axles are already shot. [top of wheel almost level with bottom of wheel lip moulding] Let's hear from the axle experts.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I personally would not want the front of the trailer riding high. And by looking at your picture, it looks like your axles are already shot. [top of wheel almost level with bottom of wheel lip moulding] Let's hear from the axle experts.
Can't tell for sure looking at the photo. You have to look at the position of the torsion arm and also see if the arm drops when the trailer is jacked up. My new Dexters with 22 degree drop ride so the top of the rim is just a little below the fender line.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Trailer rides high

Here's another pic I took that shows more of the rig. So Andy's comment makes sense. Problem isn't with the hitch but axels riding low?
I had replaced with new brakes last July, can I order axels bare and use existing brakes or is that not worth it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerhitch.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	96587  
Old 02-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would go with complete axle assemblies rather than bare. If you get new axles I doubt 22 degrees as trailer sold new would raise the trailer more than an inch or 2. But that may be all you need. If you want more height go with 33 degrees, but that could raise the tongue too much.

Has anybody mentioned adjusting the head on the hitch?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Hitch

This hitch doesn't have any adjustments. Bought it used after the old Husky hitch kept dropping off the equalizing bares. It's smaller but the bars clip on from the top so they can't fall off. The Husky had a vertical adjustment that you could move the bolts up/down.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Here's another pic I took that shows more of the rig. So Andy's comment makes sense. Problem isn't with the hitch but axels riding low?
I had replaced with new brakes last July, can I order axels bare and use existing brakes or is that not worth it?
1972 hub and drum assemblies are not ideal, in that they are usually way out of balance.

That keeps the issue of "running gear balance" a continual concern.

Yes, bare axles can be ordered.

Basically, it is better to order completes, that assures you everything fits and works correctly. The new style "unicast" hub and drums are far superior to the old style.

Andy
Old 02-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I would go with complete axle assemblies rather than bare. If you get new axles I doubt 22 degrees as trailer sold new would raise the trailer more than an inch or 2. But that may be all you need. If you want more height go with 33 degrees, but that could raise the tongue too much.

Has anybody mentioned adjusting the head on the hitch?
Adjusting the ball mount to correct a height problem, won't compensate for axles that have settled.

A starting angle today, of 35 degrees, which seems to be ideal, makes the job of rigging much easier, since most tow vehicles today are "high profile".

Andy
Old 02-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
This hitch doesn't have any adjustments. Bought it used after the old Husky hitch kept dropping off the equalizing bares. It's smaller but the bars clip on from the top so they can't fall off. The Husky had a vertical adjustment that you could move the bolts up/down.
It appears that you may have to be in the hitch market.

Or, figure out a way to adjust the ball mount, which is critical to safe towing, for a multi axle trailer.

Andy
Old 02-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Axle Replacement

Thanks Andy, will take your recommendation on replacement. Knew it would be coming eventually. Should have got it done last summer instead of doing the brakes. Do shocks come with the assembly or do I need to order those too?
Do you need vin # on trailer to specify? Will probably get done early summer before Yellowstone trip.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy, will take your recommendation on replacement. Knew it would be coming eventually. Should have got it done last summer instead of doing the brakes. Do shocks come with the assembly or do I need to order those too?
Do you need vin # on trailer to specify? Will probably get done early summer before Yellowstone trip.
Shocks do not come with axles.

As a suggestion, don't wait until the last minute, as production and delivery time, can be as long as 4 weeks.

A serial number, confirms the exact trailer, that many times, depending on the part, eliminates errors.

Andy
Old 02-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Looking at the wheels & tires leaves me wondering the wheel and tire sizes...

Some 'thing' looks a little off proportionately...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote