Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
So the hitch can't drop lower with this rig, but the real problem is that the trailer is low in the back due to bad axels? When i had brakes replaced last summer the repair place seemed to think the axels were ok.
You can easily check the axles out yourself.

Read the axle article in Airstream Central, which is a part of this Forums. That will make you an "expert".

Unfortunately, most shops do not know how to check out a torsion axle, even some Airstream dealers are a member of that group.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Seems to me, I’d get the hitch setup up correctly first then start looking at maybe a bad axle.
There are many threads on this subject of which Andy has added much value. If the ball height and pitch angle are not correct, you’re starting off wrong before you get out of the gate. It should be 19.5 inches for that trailer give/take if you still have the original down angle (22.5)
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/hitch-ball-height-49774.html
Get that corrected first.
If there’s still a problem after correcting that problem, look at the axles. I’m not saying you may not need axles just don’t put the cart before the horse.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair;813114Calibri
I’m not saying you may not need axles just don’t put the cart before the horse.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Paul.

Airstream's published "ball heights" is some what misleading.

Those dimensions are for a brand new trailer, with zero pay load.

As the trailer ages (axles) that dimension changes.

As the pay load changes, so does the ball height.

The only way to determine what the ball height dimension is to measure each individual trailer, when loaded, ready for travel.

If the axles are ok, then that's the ball height.

If the axles are not ok, then the ball height will be lower, because of that issue.

Ball heights vary from year to year, and trailer to trailer.

Andy
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
RichHOG
In looking at you pic's what I see is a normal height TV and Axles that are shot on the trailer. The edge of the rims are at the same level as the wheelwell openings. I had the same problem with our 77 Overlander ,I had to use a 4" drop in the receiver to get the hitch low enough to make the trailer level. DO NOT buy a 4" drop to compensate.
I did have to replace my axles,because I began popping rivets in the skin around the wheel well area and also inside the trailer. After I replaced the axles I was able to stop using the drop, new axles raised the rear of the trailer at least 4" and the trailer even on the 1 ton it rides level.
Im sorry to have to convey this bad news.I highly recommend that you bite the bullet and spring for OEM(HENSHEN) axles. I know they are very expensive,but they are ordered by your serial number and will fit exactly. Trust me I been there and done that. Oh I also install them myself and Im 70 yrs young,
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Axle Replacement

Thanks Roger for the advice and I'll take on the replacement process. Seems like it's been said before on some thread (probably by Andy) that any 70's trailer regardless of condition will have bad axels if they haven't been replaced. So far the trailer is very tight and no rivet problems and I plan to keep it that way. It seems like there are a lot of differences in the level of service on RV repair companies, heck, even at an Airstream rally you can get three different views on how to fix one up. Will look for some help here in Houston on the install to make sure she's done right.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Wheels and hubs

So as I was looking at the underside of the trailer the backside of the hub (the thing the wheel mounts on) looks like brand new. Am I just seeing the new brake shoes I had put on last summer or is it the hub that mounts to the axle? Will try to get some clarification by a photo, but before I spend the big bucks on the axles need some clarification. Also seems I should take a picture of the trailer as it sits level unhitched for you eagle eyes to let me know axle condition. Wouldn't that be a better bay to tell short of jacking the trailer up and measuring the "drop"?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
So as I was looking at the underside of the trailer the backside of the hub (the thing the wheel mounts on) looks like brand new. Am I just seeing the new brake shoes I had put on last summer or is it the hub that mounts to the axle? Will try to get some clarification by a photo, but before I spend the big bucks on the axles need some clarification. Also seems I should take a picture of the trailer as it sits level unhitched for you eagle eyes to let me know axle condition. Wouldn't that be a better bay to tell short of jacking the trailer up and measuring the "drop"?
Also do the "jack up one side" test, and see if the tires drop about 3 inches.

Andy