Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Ah, forgot about this thread.

I've read some about the Stonmberg rack. Seems like a solid option from what I remember. The tongue is the most gentle riding part of the rig. Don't have as many options with the Basecamp as you can't really do a custom setup hanging off the rear, with it's hatch door there right?

To add this thread...I've since added a custom hitch to my 27FB. Works incredibly well and I have no hesitations about structure or stability. I've also added a genny mount to my tongue, so in terms of COG, it's still all very stable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASrack4.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	327535

My hitch build here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f477...ml#post2144885
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
watch out

its not JUST the weight,
its also how far the load is from the pivot point under the TV and behind the actual toe socket.

Just like an industrial crane, the further the boom goes out, the less it can lift.

In a TV, the farther out the load is on the rear, the "effect weight" as seen by the vehicle . in the worst case, it may even lift the front wheels up, thus you lose steering

try lifting a 30 lb dumb bell, straight up, no problems );
now try at arms length. not Strong enough are you (;
see its the same weigh but farther from your elbow

imHO, i would be very wary of putting heavy loads on the rear of my TV
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #63
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
^Thanks for the concern. Yet I've fully considered the implications and continued doom and gloom is unwarranted. I am an engineer after all.

My setup is lightweight. I am not loading incredibly heavy things back there, any more than the Fiamma rack would. Mine just happens to be custom, so I can use a standard hitch compatible bike rack as I have special considerations for my lightweight aluminum tandem.

I'll tell you my setup works, and works incredibly well. I also tow with a large and heavy SUV, that's heavier than most any pickup where it matters (rear).
Old 11-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesnums View Post
Anyone solve the issue for a Basecamp for ability to carry some bikes?
. . .
You might find a more focused audience in the Basecamp forum IMO.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/

The BC has unique constraints like the back door, as pteck just mentioned. How about rolling the bike inside while towing?

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnklJoe View Post
Have a look at this:

I wrote to the author, and he sent me an email with some more photo's and a sketch with dimensions for his trailer--which should be useful for many Airstreams. Very helpful guy.

I haven't tackled this yet, but I plan to this winter/spring. I will be using one of those receiver stabilizers, and will be looking for a bike rack that doesn't hang too far out.

Hope this helps!!!
I'm planning to have the same hitch fabricated for ours.
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #66
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Still very much enjoying my custom hitch bike rack. Bikes are very much a part of the camping enjoyment for my family. Having a tandem further complicates matters but this has solved that for us. Towed up/down, all around the Sierra's this past couple weeks, including an 11 mile, 6-8% grade mountain road better known as Kingsbury grade. Nothing but great stability.

I'll say that I didn't make this upgrade in isolation. I was aware of the potential pitfalls. I have additional weight on my tongue in the form of upgraded 2x 6V batts, and a Honda eu2200i genny. Partially to round out the trailers capabilities, but those added items also reinforce having sufficient tongue weight for stability. Also when I sealed the rear bumber to shell interface, I added additional mounting screws between the shell and chassis (under the rub strip).

The setup is exceedingly stable as I can see the bikes in my rearview camera. I still added a couple bungees (blue) between the bikes and rear awning supports as additional damping and support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASracktandem.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	345326