Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Trailer Coupler Lock - which one?

I am shopping for a lock for the coupler for our new 30' Classic.

Guardian Trailer Locks has three listed on the following page:

Guardian Trailer Locks

The question is: Which one of these will work?

Given that the trailer is currently 3,000 miles from our location it's not possible to "pop out" and look at the coupler to make the determination.

The search function on the forums functions as usual, which is to say it has been completely useless in providing any assistance in locating this information on this web site.

Any/all help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If you look around, you don’t see the circular locks on vending machines or bicycle locks anymore. This is due to a well known, in bicycling, problem with the design of the locks. Kryptonite, the maker of the most respected bike locks replaced the circular locks with flat keyed locks after it was demonstrated that a Bic pen housing could be jammed into the circular mechanism and it would open the lock in seconds. I would not buy anything with a circular lock now.

I guess I should make it clear that this applies to the circular tumbler mechanism no matter where it is used. A hitch lock is venerable as a bicycle or vending machine lock because it is the circular tumbler mechanism that is the problem. These locks look like they would be fine with a different tumbler system.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
hitch coupler lock

Welcome to the AS family.

Check out Silver Gate’s thread post #58 at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/theft-prevention-airstream-trailers-29301-5.html
This lock was obtained at the dealer, Southwest Coaches in Irvine at the time of delivery of the trailer for about $50. San Diego Trailer Supply had it in stock as well for the same price.

Happy trails to you,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea
I am shopping for a lock for the coupler for our new 30' Classic.

Guardian Trailer Locks has three listed on the following page:

Guardian Trailer Locks

The question is: Which one of these will work?

Given that the trailer is currently 3,000 miles from our location it's not possible to "pop out" and look at the coupler to make the determination.

The search function on the forums functions as usual, which is to say it has been completely useless in providing any assistance in locating this information on this web site.

Any/all help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim
Jim

I own a 2007 Safari 25FB and had a similar problem finding a coupler lock that would fit over the large lip on the Airstream coupler. I finally got a Master Coupler Lock Model-35AT, designed for a Marvel Coupler. As it did not fit when it came out of the box, I took my Dremel tool and ground down the inside surfaces of the lock until it fit my coupler. The lock is cast aluminum with a painted finish so it was easy to grind down.
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
I purchased the TRIMAX Umax 100 works great, also got the receiver lock which was keyed alike 3 locks 1 key bought these through Heartland Lock make sure and ask for them too be keyed alike.
wilkeytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
My ultimate decision:

Guardian trailer hitch lock for 2 or 2-5/16 Inch rolled lip style couplers.

This, after lots of research and email with vendors that included questions about the infamous Kriptonite barrel lock fiasco.

The main intent of this lock, for me at least, is to slow down anyone who wants to hook up the coupler to their vehicle and drive off with our Airstream.

In my experience, thieves will not spend more than 5 minutes working to disable security systems in order to steal something. In my experience, this has proved true with motorcycles which are much easier to take.

I wanted something that would take more than seconds for a battery operated angle grinder with a good blade to saw off. While this can happen to just about any lock, it will take just tad longer to get thought the iron this lock is made from. Most of the other locks I could find were manufactured from aluminum.

I also wanted something a bit more difficult to cut through than a hardened shackle like the Husky and Reese coupler locks that have the shackle exposed over the top of the coupler.

I will also use a lock on the ball retainer on the top of the hitch.

We are now currently debating about spending the $114.00 on a wheel clamp that is on sale at a local RV supply house.

I can only hope that these items will be sufficient to cause the thief to go to your trailer next door and take it because it has much fewer security items.

Hope this is of some use to others.

As always, YMMV.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Just how often do Airstreams get stolen? I just have a simple hitch pin lock and feel pretty secure as my baby sits to the side of my house. Should I worry when in a park, getting food, or ?
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i think Master makes a lip type lock just like that one. how would a chain and padlock through the wheels on one side work? (double or tripple axle)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Anything that will fit your coupler with work ,its that 5 minutes that theives a willing to spend to steal it. If they really really want it ,they will have the proper equipment to steal it no matter what u do.
Anything is better than nothing. I recently bought stuff from PPles Motorhomes in Houston(online) nice people ,Good prices too!
Best of luck too you
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have a simple hitch lock that might slow them down. Bought it at Home Depot for around $20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	utl100.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	47861  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
This is what I have. Blaylock TL-33. I think Pahaska posted about it some time ago.

BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
azflycaster
I dont have one yet but they have em at Lowe's the same brand for $26 /$29 cant remember. This is what I will get tomorrow when Im out. Like I posted before if they really want it that bad U cant stop em but U can sure slow em up a bit.
Roger
Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use the same coupler lock on our 06 19' Bambi that SilverGate uses on his 07 23' Safari (this was not planned...promise! But I'm pleased that he endorses the same product!)...see his post at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...s-29301-5.html, post #58...for his usual always-detailed information (and pic). Lifted from SiverGate's post link above:

Husky Universal Coupler Lock #39594
5/8" hardened steel shackle, reversible & has over 40 lockable positions.
Corrosion resistant solid die-cast housing,
High security, pick resistant lock cylinder... and looks good!

TB's opinion: The lock is great...looks good, it's heavy, well made and I don't see how anyone could get it off without a lot of work...one can also tell from a distance that the coupler is locked and will probbaly not cooperate with anyone wanting to pull your AS away.

Whatever you get, make sure it's going to fit on your coupler...some do and dome don't, depending on trailer year and model.

A happy AS is a secure AS...
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Unhappy thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
Just how often do Airstreams get stolen? I just have a simple hitch pin lock and feel pretty secure as my baby sits to the side of my house. Should I worry when in a park, getting food, or ?
Every so often a report surface concerning the thief/loss of a A/S from storage, etc. Once stolen, the recovery percentage rate is very low.
Face it, it does happen.
IMHO, the only real way is to put your trailer on blocks and, remove the wheels. Not pretty but, it very effective~!
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
AZfly caster
I got that one it wouldnt fit my coupler so I took it back,not a problem, I orderd online from Hitches-For Less Layfetteville Ga ,Gollia Gard that fits my coupler its the one that looks like a hocky-puck with a key. It was $31.00 or so with the shipping it was around $44.00 Everywhere I looked they were higher as high as $62.00 plus/s&H.
It delivers here tomorrow UPS.
I hope this helps someone
Roger
Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 PM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sorry about that.
Mine fits great. It does need to go on with the lock towards the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	48351   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	48352  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Check this one out....

http://provenlocks.com/products/mode...tream-couplers

Not cheap...but hey, you own an AS.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
As I posted before if it has keys can be picked, pros can do it faster than I can open with key. Doesn't matter how expensive lock is, can be picked. Key picks available on line easy to learn how pick. There are videos on line that show how to pick some are very easy, also how to unlock combo locks, & reg. pad locks. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote