Old 01-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #1

folsom , California
toyota tundra 2008 hitch advice

Hello forum members
i am new to travel trailers
did tow a horse trailer from Sacramento to Philadelphia and back in 1993 behind a El Camino in January.
i have a 2008
toyota tundra 380 HP crewmax with 55K miles on it.
will be purchasing 22 - 25 foot Airstream (2015 or 2016) (probably 23 foot) within next 3 months.
would like to get a hitch installed soon.
i need advice. i have enough funds for any sort of installation.
1. what hitch?
2. where get it installed?
i live in Folsom, California.
i was thinking of going to the Toyota dealer in Folsom but i have no idea what they would give me...
Thank you.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Before I got my Ram 2500 I towed my 25fb with a 2010 Tundra 2x4 Double Cab SR5. Used an Equalizer 1000lb hitch. My Classic 25fb tongue weight is heavy, 1100lbs. I found I had to use about 5 washers to get the front vendor height close to unloaded height. I don't think I every got it dialed in because on my trip out West this past summer I felt uncomfortable going around some down hill curves in Colorado on I70 heading east into Denver.

Wherever you end up buying your trailer they should be able to install and adjust the hitch. The Toyota dealership is not equipped. I'm assuming your Tundra has the receiver installed from the factory.

You'll have to get a brake controller installed in the Tundra. The Prodigy P3 is popular and with the correct cable plugs into a harness under the dash by the drivers door.

If you go with the larger trailer then many will recommend the Propride hitch. However, the majority of these are installed by the owners and not by an RV dealership. Typical RV dealerships will install the Equalizer, Blue OX, Eaz Lift brands.

Best you read the Hitch forum on this site to learn what others experience and recommend before venturing out.

Kelvin

Old 01-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #3

folsom , California
no receiver on my tundra. (i think it is a work tundra) should i get a receiver for it at a toyota dealer?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I like my duel cam reese hitch, you can get a reese hitch for your pu or go to the dealer, go on line and compare the prices, got mine on line, no freight
Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
The OEM receiver on Tundra is very stout and well built. I would not go the after market route.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
You need a class III or IV hitch receiver installed. Find a reputable, knowledgeable dealer. Reese makes a good hitch, I've used them on other vehicles. You will also need the 7-pin umbilical receiver installed, same dealer should be able to do that.

I have a 23' Safari and I use the Equalizer hitch. I have limited experience with WD hitches but the Equalizer does a nice job and the setup was easy to learn. You have to like squeaks, thumps and grease. It's very stable behind my 4Runner.

Since you don't have the towing package you're going to need a transmission oil cooler added, possibly a bigger alternator, battery and a radiator. Check with your Toyota dealership, he should be able to tell you what the differences are between your vehicle and one factory equipped.

You're going to need a brake controller, like Kelvin said. I use a Prodigy P3 in my 4Runner. It will probably have to be wired but I would look around the driver's kick panel for a small white plug. Toyota may have put it in there even without the towing package, another question for the dealership. Some have said it was behind the kick panel. Mine was just above it, wrapped around other wiring. If you have the plug, the installation is very fast. Otherwise, the hitch dealership can get it wired for you.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Since you don't have a hitch, eTrailer.com is a good resource to check out stuff. They sell controllers and the wiring harness.

Check your Tundra's fuse panel to see if you need to add a fuse to the trailer brake circuit.

Does your Tundra have a tow haul button at the end of the shift lever or a button on the dash? Hopefully it has the transmission oil cooler from the factory.

2008 Toyota Tundra Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

Kelvin
Old 01-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Consider the hitch and receiver just as important as your truck and Airstream for towing safety and comfort. Get top quality equipment the first time. Tundra is a proven performer with Airstreams providing you understand and observe light pickup truck load capacities.

A weight distribution hitch with tapered weight distribution bars will be the most flexible, provide the greatest range of vertical movement, the least stress on your receiver and trailer A-frame. Conventional hitches have sway control devices added or built in to control sway. The much more expensive Hensley/ProPride hitches completely eliminate sway.

Airstream towing is as good as it gets; low to the ground, independent suspension, curved shape allows relatively low front and side wind resistance. The 23 is the largest of the small Airstreams and the 25 is the smallest of the large Airstreams. Compare wheel and brake size, axle load capacity, capacity of storage tanks, as well as width and length, and living space. These differences are significant, the towing difference is small.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I use the Equalizer Hitch with 4 point sway control to tow my 25ft AS. My tow vehicle is a RAM 1500 crew cab.
As far as installation most RV Dealers will install your hitch for a nominal fee.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
The OEM receiver on Tundra is very stout and well built. I would not go the after market route.
ditto
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Before I got my Ram 2500 I towed my 25fb with a 2010 Tundra 2x4 Double Cab SR5. Used an Equalizer 1000lb hitch. My Classic 25fb tongue weight is heavy, 1100lbs. I found I had to use about 5 washers to get the front vendor height close to unloaded height. I don't think I every got it dialed in because on my trip out West this past summer I felt uncomfortable going around some down hill curves in Colorado on I70 heading east into Denver.

Wherever you end up buying your trailer they should be able to install and adjust the hitch. The Toyota dealership is not equipped. I'm assuming your Tundra has the receiver installed from the factory.

You'll have to get a brake controller installed in the Tundra. The Prodigy P3 is popular and with the correct cable plugs into a harness under the dash by the drivers door.

If you go with the larger trailer then many will recommend the Propride hitch. However, the majority of these are installed by the owners and not by an RV dealership. Typical RV dealerships will install the Equalizer, Blue OX, Eaz Lift brands.

Best you read the Hitch forum on this site to learn what others experience and recommend before venturing out.

Kelvin
Never got mine right until 6 washers and L-brackets on a-frame higher- weight bars not parallel- slightly higher at L-brackets- had to ignore dealer, Progressive Industries (manufacturer of Equal-i-zer) and Jackson Center and do my own thing to get it right.
This may be a little deja vu from hitch discussions back in 2014, but...
Now it tows like a dream.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Hitch Info

I tow a 22FB Airstream with a 2003 2WD Tundra 4.7 V8 with no problem. I started with a Reese Pro Series Sway / Weight Distribution hitch but have since changed to a Hensley Cub hitch. The Hensley in my opinion provides a much better tow with great control. I especially noticed the improved control during an unexpected recent winter whiteout driving event through the Berkshires. No issue from semis and the howling wind/snow.

Suggest on a level surface you measure/record the distance from the ground to the inside of top of the truck hitch, and from the ground to the top of the ball hitch on the camper (Airstream 22FB documents 18.75 inches). This info will help determine the proper hitch bar.

Have Fun.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Wethersfield , Connecticut
As for installing the receiver and brake control on the truck check out U Haul. They have been adding this equipment for a long time. Also, since your tow vehicle does not have a factory installed tow package, pay attention to the transmission as it may overheat because there is no cooling unit.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
For your choice of a 23 AS you won't have any trouble with the hitch receiver part . Do go for Class IV so you can up-size the trailer (2-foot-itis is common in trailers and boats). Your Tundra is capable of at least a 25 ft. and probably a 27. I have the similar engine, tranny and rear ratio on my Dakota. You do absolutely need to add a minimum of 22000 Btu transmission cooler. I have 145,000 miles on my '03 Dakota which is by most truck owner's opinion under sized for the task, and the transmission fluid on the dip stick is cool coming off a highway run! I change the transmission oil and rear diff fluid every 30000 Miles
JCW