Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Sway for Newbies (Basecamp with Jeep Grand Cherokee TV)

Ok, I am a newbie so I am looking for education/advice.

We are towing a 16-foot 2017 Basecamp with a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 4x4, with the factory tow kit that includes "trailer sway damping." I have been assuming that this trailer sway damping in the factory tow kit is all I need. We have not had any issues at all, even with a good amount of freeway driving. However we haven't encountered much in the way of 'high risk' situations (wind, close 18-wheelers, etc.); so I don't want to learn the hard way that I am ignorant.... Should we be looking at additional sway control options?

Thanks in advance!
Diocletian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi and welcome. "Sway damping" sounds like an electronic computer controlled system - is that a correct assumption? If so....

My $0.02 - you don't describe having any weight distribution capabilities. I'm not familiar with the tongue weight of the Basecamp or your Jeep's reaction to having it on the ball, but first I'd recommend taking the the rig to CAT scales and first seeing how those numbers pan out. Just dialing in the appropriate amount of weight distribution should make the rig very stable. There are many threads here on that process and you can visit the CAT Scales website for additional info and tutorials on how to do this properly. If you do, post the tickets here and folks will give you a lot of tips and insight that will be helpful to your setup. You can also do a fender measurement (that's also searchable in these forums and may be in your Basecamp user manual as well).

Second - I personally would recommend some sort of physical sway control device - whether a stand alone add-on or integrated in to your WD hitch system. The topic of 'best' hitch tends to get emotional here for no good reason [emoji23] but again, search and ask - there's good info here to help clarify what you're trying to do and which tools can beat help you do that.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Anti Sway

I have never used the anti-sway bar, but always use my weight distribution bars. The trick to towing any large RV or boat is to make sure you have lots of tongue weight, at least 400 pounds for 19' boat or RV up to 900 pounds for 28'footer,,,,,,and keep your speed under 62 mph. (that's hard to do in Texas where is seems like every two lane rural road has a 70 mph speed limit)

Move weight around inside the RV to boost your tongue weight - and don't run full water tanks if they are above or behind the first axle.

I see clowns blow by me doing 70-75mph with their RV whipping back and forth.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #64

1973 Argosy 24
Warwick , New York
Just ridin' the ball...

Hey everyone, this is something I think about all the time. My wife and pull a 24' Argosy with a '02 Ford F250 Diesel. We've been full timing for about 5 months, and in that time we've towed from New York to California to Austin, TX. We have no sway control or weight distribution setup on our hitch, and we have had absolutely zero problems.

That said, there is always a little voice in my head saying that my rig could be set up a little better, a thus a little safer. So, one day we will upgrade our hitch, and I'm sure we'll be happy we did. But we're not in a hurry.
Ourgosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
el paso , Texas
towing without anti sway

It probably depends on the size of AS. I tow a 16' without an antisway hitch and have never had reason to want one. In fact, the AS tows so well it seems to stabilize the SUV in side winds. We live in southern NM, so we do know about wind.
sherpa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa27 View Post
It probably depends on the size of AS. I tow a 16' without an antisway hitch and have never had reason to want one. In fact, the AS tows so well it seems to stabilize the SUV in side winds. We live in southern NM, so we do know about wind.

My experience is limited to old 31’ Airstreams, but I think you are right about the length of the trailer being a mitigating factor with regard to tendency for violent oscillation.

I think the length behind the rear axle(s) is the primary motivator.. E=MC2....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:53 AM   #67
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I think the length behind the rear axle(s) is the primary motivator.. E=MC2....
Here is an unscientific comparison of two similar sized Airstreams, the 23d and the 23fb. The axle placement appears to be more towards the center of the 23fb trailer.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS23.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	299228  
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:17 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Here is an unscientific comparison of two similar sized Airstreams, the 23d and the 23fb. The axle placement appears to be more towards the center of the 23fb trailer.

Here's a reference

https://www.etrailer.com/static/imag...u65526_800.jpg

Guess that bed is heavy
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #69
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post

Boog - would be helpful to make the comparison a bit more scientific by comparing the distance from the ball to the axles. Note that the 23FB is 23-9" while the 23CB/D is 23-0".

Randy - besides the bed, there are differences in tank and storage location, that are worth investigating.

One thought comes to mind. "The devil is in the details." Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #70
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Do I need WD & Sway?.....

In many cases it turns out that you need it but I don't.....

Bob
Old 11-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
In many cases it turns out that you need it but I don't.....

Bob

I don’t need it, but towing is way better with.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jax , Florida
Hensley Arrow and Weight Distribution.

Getting ready to purchase a 1985 Sovereign 25. We started with a tear drop and moved to a 15 foot canned ham and now we are moving into the big leauges.

Also found a used Hensley Arrow for sale.

Does the Hensley Arrow supply weight distribution along with the Sway elimination? Or do I need something in addition to the Arrow
dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher View Post
Getting ready to purchase a 1985 Sovereign 25. We started with a tear drop and moved to a 15 foot canned ham and now we are moving into the big leauges.

Also found a used Hensley Arrow for sale.

Does the Hensley Arrow supply weight distribution along with the Sway elimination? Or do I need something in addition to the Arrow

The Arrow provides both weight distribution and sway prevention.

Usually referred to here as HA (Hensley Arrow) or sometimes HAHA - I think for laughs [emoji3]

Search around for lots of great additional info on the hitch. It's a very good device.

Congrats and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote