Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Vienna , Virginia
Towing /w Truck Lifted

Hello everyone,

Just discovered these forums today!

I'm in the process of purchasing a used AirStream and have some questions about towing with my rig.

I have a 2001 Ford F250 Superduty 7.3 Diesel, which is plenty strong to tow a 26ft trailer. However, it has a suspension lift of 4-6 inches.

I'm the second owner of the vehicle and didn't perform the lift myself, so I'll have to verify the exact height.

I'd like some advice on what type of hitch would be best suited for my towing needs. Right now, I'm between getting a 26foot Overlander and a 22 Foot Safari.

This is a picture of my truck, to give you a good idea how high it sits.

oomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
i don't think a little more height than usual should matter, but that's just opinion based upon a quick mental evaluation of the physics. Long as your tow point is level with the level trailer. The draw bar I bought for our Reese WD hitch could easily accomodate this offset.

This is exactly the model truck I have settled on buying as our "new' tow vehicle, btw. In the spring time, about four months from now, I will be out looking for the best one of these I can find for the money in hand. I do think we might prefer the next cab size down, the two door with extension ( is that a SuperCab?) but that's not critical. We'll go anywhere in the USA to buy the one we pick, and drive it to CO. Might be nice to find one in Texas. I've found 4x4's to generally be a good deal there. City folk buy them for the macho, and then a couple years later realize they've never even used the 4x4 capability they are paying big money to support and feed.

A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Back in the 70's I wanted to improve the handling on my 1972 Ford Pinto. I installed a lowering kit that dropped the car a couple inches. It worked. Handling and drivability improved. The same physics applies to all vehicles. The lower, the better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinto 456.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	144901  
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
that got the gas tank down below the fire control radar for the vehicle following you too, I bet.
A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas

I agree with Road Ruler, the lift kit has to hurt the handling of the truck at highway speeds. Will it hurt the handling enough to effect the towing capability, or handling at say 65 MPH? Don't really know, but it's not something I'd do to a vehicle for the purpose of towing.

Also, the original reason people lifted trucks was to install larger tires/wheels for greater ground clearance. Those same larger tires/wheels WILL hurt towing performance because it effectively changes the final drive gear ratio in the wrong direction for towing. However, that big Diesel engine should have enough torque to overcome that, but I personally do not know for sure.

You will need a longer hitch draw bar than normal to get your hitch setup properly.

Welcome to the forum.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
265 tires on a half ton is common, 245 tires on a 3/4 ton is common because they are a little shorter and better for towing.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Here is a photo of a tow vehicle that is lifted about the same... 3#!/photo.php?fbid=10150447225085018&set=a.10150259038 575018.474592.300884665017&type=3&theater

There are some other photos on my Facebook page that have slightly lifted tow vehicles.

The problem you run into with an Airstream is that it is the lowest hitch height out there so the higher the tow vehicle, the more leverage you get. Most of my customers with lifts have higher trailer hitch ball heights.

ProPride Hitch
"The Next Generation in Trailer Sway Elimination"
Grand Blanc, MI
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote