Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Of course, the view is too far to tell - but is the trailer level when hooked up?

Pat

Old 02-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Airstream for years made the frames for the 34' models with front kitchens and mid-kitchens the same even though the front weights were different. They finally moved the axles when they discontinued the front kitchen 34' models.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady
The second is the new to us 34 taken at Hillsborough River State Park in Florida.. taken a couple days ago.
Are you still in this area? If so, I am about 15 miles from there, and would be happy to go over it with you this Sunday (day after tomorrow).
Old 03-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

englewood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Are you still in this area? If so, I am about 15 miles from there, and would be happy to go over it with you this Sunday (day after tomorrow).
I appreciate the offer, but no we aren't. We're back in Englewood. Thanks so much!
Old 03-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I appreciate the offer, but no we aren't. We're back in Englewood. Thanks so much!
All right, but if you still have problems, and are in the area, I'd be happy to take a look with y'all.
From the picture you posted, it looks like the back of the van is a bit lower than it should be. Maybe you can try taking up one more link in the chains on the WD hitch, and see if it helps. I had what I thought was a pretty good setup, but I had some sway problems which were corrected that easily.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
JHD
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.. He's working on several of the suggestions and info gathering.

Our hitch is new... a Reese with the sway bars. Probably should have invested that $$ in a Hensley but this is water under/over the dam now.

The unit has basic supplies in it for a weekend. There's nothing on the back end like storage or a bike rack etc.

AS's book has a method to figure the tongue weight w/o finding a CAT scale. He just tried it and it came out just under 900 which the AS book says it should be. Could they be wrong?

SilverToy here's some pics if I can get them in here...

The first one is our old 32 at Lake Allatoona north of Georgia..taken April 07 when the lake had some water.

The second is the new to us 34 taken at Hillsborough River State Park in Florida.. taken a couple days ago.
The picture of your 34' tells a lot. The nose of the trailer is too high, and the front end of your van is up in the air. You don't have your hitch set up properly.

And you don't need a Hensley hitch to tow a 34' Airstream. My 34' Excella tows like it is part of the truck all the time. Granted, I am towing with a Diesel F-250 Ford, but your 3/4 ton chevy van should be more than up to the task.

My previous RV was a SOB aluminum trailer (streamline) and it was 24' long. It towed quite nicely, but it never towed like the 34' Airstream. That trailer is just about the best trailer I have ever hitched up to a truck.

Seriously, look at your picture again, the nose of your van is airborne. That translates to reduced tire contact, and that decreases control of your tow vehicle, which leads to sway.

-JHD
Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Towing a 34'

I had a Lincoln Navigator when I bought my 87 34' and towing was a nightmare. I bought a Dodge Cummins 3500 and it's a piece of cake. I wouldn't have any other length now.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
34 footer

Lakelady
I tow a 31 foot 84 Excella with a 1 ton GMC 12 passenger van.
I was also experiencing problems with stability.
I adjusted the distribution bars until the two vehicle squated evenly and the trailer was level.
Then I went to a CAT scale.
Every thing was way off.
NOTE: If you are going to add weight to the tongue, do it first.
I adjusted the ball height and distribution bars over the course of an afternoon until I had equal weight on all four axles (two axles on the van, two axles on the trailer).
I now have between 3100 and 3200 lbs on each axle. The trailer isn't quite level but what a difference in handeling, stability and stopping.
After you get the weights balanced between the axles then you have to adjust the dual cam set up in accordance with the instruction manual. I have the older dual cam and all I did was loosen the u-bolts and the arms jumped home all by themselves. The dual cam high performance you have to adjust.
Go to this web address.

TCT Photo Gallery - pic_393

In the large picture in the background is my red and white GMC van and my trailer. It does not look level, however the weights on the axles are as equal as I could get them and the unit handles great.
Its the weight distribution on the axles not the appearance that stabilizes the rig.

Hi tarheel (Rick) Don't forget to bring the wheel locks to Williamsburg please.

Beginner