Old 09-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2003 28' Safari S/O
Garner , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by svworthy View Post
When I bought a 2015 27FB Flying Cloud, the dealer sold me on a rather dramatic sway bar set up (1200 lb. weight diet w/ Dual Arm Sway $800). A few years later, after the bolts holding the bar to the A frame broke off, I stopped using the sway bars altogether. Today my Tow Vehicle is a 2018 Lincoln Navigator XL 4WD w/ Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package listing 8,100 Max Towing capacity. The question is, under normal conditions, are anti-sway bars necessary or overkill.
Sway causes accidents, blowouts, jack-knife, crash, and death.

Sway is dangerous to you and others. Use sway control and keep it tight and firm. If it wears out buy new sway control. It's cheaper to keep 'er.

Philcan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clive , Iowa
Like previously said. Not needed until they are. Iíd guess your overloaded on hitch and rear axel without the proper setup. Why spend the money for an AS and Navigator, then try to get by with junk to hook them together. Invest in a good quality , properly setup hitch system. Safer for you, your family, and the rest of us on the road.

jpaine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
I wouldn't tow without sway bars.
I wouldn't tow without WD bars.

do so at your own risk.

if so, please stay behind me as i do not want to see the upcoming accident. it is not if, its when

As the saying goes
" past performance is not indicative of future event"
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
I wouldn't tow without sway bars. I've set out without fully tightening them a few times but when you get up over 60mph and the trailer starts to sway, I always pull over to tighten them down for a much pleasanter and safer drive.

We have a 34' Classic so your trailer may not cause as much sway but I wouldn't tow an airstream without sway bars if I had the choice.

I never liked the "sway bars" descriptions in many of these posts. I was never interested in the "add on" friction sway things they sell. I do realize that many use them and are happy with them and I am totally fine with that. I do not feel as though my life is at risk when I meet these people on the road. The above quote is precisely why I never wanted to get involved with them. My brother told me that he usually doesn't put them on until he "needs" them. Sort of like I don't fully tighten them until my trailer begins to sway.

My situation is that I tow with a 1/2 ton and I need an equalizing hitch. I chose one with both equalizing and sway control built in. My Equalizer has been great for me over the past 16 years. I have it set up correctly, I hook up and don't worry about how tight I need to clamp down the friction bars. Just trying to keep life safe and simple.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcan56 View Post
Sway causes accidents, blowouts, jack-knife, crash, and death.

Sway is dangerous to you and others. Use sway control and keep it tight and firm. If it wears out buy new sway control. It's cheaper to keep 'er.
Sorry but you are hyperventilating.
Sway doesn't cause accidents.
Incompetent, inexperienced and careless drivers do.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I don't need anti sway most of the time with my trailer so long as I keep it under 60, but seeing as how I can't seem to manage to keep it under 60, I need sway control. It's just easier, and it makes my rig an absolute pleasure to drive.

Why fight it? Why isn't having to constantly and obsessively monitor my speed a good thing that most people hauling an Airstream around should want?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I don't need anti sway most of the time with my trailer so long as I keep it under 60, but seeing as how I can't seem to manage to keep it under 60, I need sway control. It's just easier, and it makes my rig an absolute pleasure to drive.

Why fight it? Why isn't having to constantly and obsessively monitor my speed a good thing that most people hauling an Airstream around should want?
I have towed with and without and come to the same conclusion.
It only takes a few minutes to install the bars and engage the WD .
However I know how to handle the rig without .
Old 09-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2003 28' Safari S/O
Garner , North Carolina
Hello franklyfrank,
I have no doubt you are a great and responsible driver. When the other guy isn't as good a driver as you or when you get sideswiped or have to avoid debris think about sway control some more. Please be safer.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:34 PM   #49
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
it is all physics. WD bars 'balance the load'.. sway bars (depending upon what you have) decelerate angle between trailer and TV when there is 'sway' or angular moment between the two and their tires (track). A projected point hitch eliminates the misalignment of the tracks... the whole rig moves in unison.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcan56 View Post
Hello franklyfrank,
I have no doubt you are a great and responsible driver. When the other guy isn't as good a driver as you or when you get sideswiped or have to avoid debris think about sway control some more. Please be safer.

Our 30' Classic is like a rag doll being pulled by the F 250 Power Stroke with the 160" wheelbase.
The longer wheelbase is a very important safety factor. That in addition to having over 2 tons sitting on the front axle.
It was tested in a high speed crash avoidance maneuver. With the WD hitch of course.
Since I normally cruise at 70 to 72 mph, when weather and traffic conditions allow the Blue Ox is always engaged.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
After reading all of the excellent questions and responses from seasoned drivers I would like to ask about my setup to see if need to be sure and get the WD/Antisway equipment before I start my first trip from Texas to Washington via Utah.
The TV is a Dodge 3500 Ram Dually and the TT is a 31' Silver Streak which weighs 8,200 with 800 at the tongue.
I ask this question because I had the TT towed by a professional company from Indiana to New Mexico and the fellow towing used the same TV rig without any bars. I queried him at length and he said he never has problems even with emergencies but when he encounters high winds he always pulls over regardless and so has never had an issue.
I would appreciate some opinions/info.
Many Thanks
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post
After reading all of the excellent questions and responses from seasoned drivers I would like to ask about my setup to see if need to be sure and get the WD/Antisway equipment before I start my first trip from Texas to Washington via Utah.
The TV is a Dodge 3500 Ram Dually and the TT is a 31' Silver Streak which weighs 8,200 with 800 at the tongue.
I ask this question because I had the TT towed by a professional company from Indiana to New Mexico and the fellow towing used the same TV rig without any bars. I queried him at length and he said he never has problems even with emergencies but when he encounters high winds he always pulls over regardless and so has never had an issue.
Many Thanks
Your truck is perfect for towing.
Long wheel base, heavy, stable and powerful.
No need for (WD).

One thing I would verify is the weight class your receiver hitch is. Sometimes the dealer provided hitch is a class-3, which is only rated up to 6000 lbs (GTW) and 600 lbs tongue weight. Not enough for your TT without WD. With WD, class-3 (GTW) increases up to 10,000 lbs and 1000 lbs (TW).

If it is a class-3 hitch I would definitely upgrade it.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Hitch

I installed a Curt XTRA DUTY (frame mounted) hitch rated at 16,000 lbs. without WD and 2,400 lbs tongue max weight. Additionally the receiver unit with the 2 5/8" ball is rated the same. I noticed when I first tried the trailer with the new hitch unit that I could not tell if the trailer was hooked up or not. The big concern I found is remembering that I have it hooked up and driving as such because the stopping distances are quite different when you have an 8,000 lb trailer in the back. Got to be real careful when barking along at 60 mph or so. I did log 19.5 mpg on that first trip.
The other question I have struggled with is tire pressure. I installed 6 brand new Cooper HTP on the truck and the dealer put 80 psi in them. The truck seems to ride rough and a little squirrely unloaded. Do I need that much pressure for either with or without the trailer?
I also installed 4 brand new Goodyear Endurance tires which they put at 80 lbs. These are the new generation USA made tires, load range E.
Any suggestions?
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #54

2019 22' Sport
Hamilton , Montana
Towing sway bars aren’t necessary and neither is weight distribution. What is necessary is a properly loaded trailer and a capable tow vehicle.

Check out the Hayes sway master if you don’t need weight distribution and are just looking for sway control.

http://www.hayesbc.com/products/cont...s/sway-master/
https://youtu.be/cKmgDW4kNJs
Westfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #55
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Let me put it this way: If you survive sway, as I did, you'll still have a major bill just cleaning up all the poop from the inside of your tow vehicle.

Lynn
Old 09-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #56

2019 22' Sport
Hamilton , Montana
If sway is the main concern and not weight distribution check out the Hayes sway master. This may be a duplicate post apologize if it is.
Westfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post
Many Thanks
The nice thing about not using weight distribution is the fact you're not transferring any load from the tow vehicle to the trailer. This load transferral puts undue stress onto the trailer. In turn this causes fatigue that if can be avoided, is a good idea.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2003 28' Safari S/O
Garner , North Carolina
Tongue weight and braking

Something to consider......
So you've figured out what hitch to use, what wd to use and what sway to use (I hope). Consider what happens when your trailer brakes engage and the dynamic vertical rotational moment experienced by your trailer act on your ball and hitch.
Any structural engineers out there? Rocket engineers are also welcome. The geometry, masses and equipment vary such that there cannot be a single equation to characterize all of our situations and gear.
So to paraphrase Einstein: Make it safe then make it safer. Please!