Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A week ago I towed an SOB on the ball, I didn't die or even come close to dying, but dude, my Hensley equipped Airstream sure tows SWEET.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Overrated WD setup

I have over 10,000 miles on my 27FB towing with a 2018 F250, since I stopped using a WD hitch. Am very happy that I stopped using the overrated WD setup!
Old 08-23-2019, 03:48 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Going back to the original post that started this thread - it was a 30 mile experience that worked out ok. The latest reply claims over 10K miles that has worked out ok.

Any device intended to contribute to your safety can be pulled out of the loop for any period of time without necessarily being a problem. I suppose if I hadn’t worn my seatbelt in the 106K miles I’ve put on my truck I could say I’ve gone 106K miles without a seatbelt with no problem since I haven’t been in an accident. Besides - I’m a cautious, defensive driver - why bother?

That doesn’t mean something out of my control won’t happen at 106,001 miles that puts me in a position where using the seatbelt could have been a life saver. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should...

TETO. In my calculus (YMMV), the proof of the CAT scales tells me I’m getting the balance I need in my rig with WD, and, since I can’t control weather or other drivers who mostly don’t know how to drive well while texting or otherwise distracted, I wouldn’t tow without a WD/SC hitch anymore than I would drive without a seatbelt.

Happy camping.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:53 AM   #64
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Have you tried a WD that's not 'overrated'.👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Guy View Post
I have over 10,000 miles on my 27FB towing with a 2018 F250, since I stopped using a WD hitch. Am very happy that I stopped using the overrated WD setup!

I'm so happy for you...in Washington State. 😂
Too far away to worry.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
WD overkill?

Saw this rig on the way home from church today among a total of three in the Cracker Barrel parking lot. I was more than a bit shocked to see the driver was set up with a weight distributing hitch. He definitely could have towed just on the ball!

Do I need it to tow my Bambi II with our Chrysler minivan and even with our Pathfinder? Yes. But this guy does not need a WD hitch for this trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	353671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	353672  

Old 10-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
We just returned from a 2500 mile trip through the Southwest. Our 17 foot 68 Caravel, 3200 pounds loaded, behaved very well behind our 2016 RAM 2500 with "auto leveling-auto trailer ride height", and a simple Reese friction sway control attached. We experienced gusts up to 50 mph without problems. We were however "pushed around" a little by giant Prevost tour buses traveling 80 mph.

I normally tow our 2017 25 foot behind the 2500 with an Equalizer brand hitch system attached. I use the Equalizer for the built-in 4 point sway control. I don't believe that weight distribution features are necessary with this particular 2500. I subscribe to the "you don't need I until you do" view, especially under hard braking with evasive maneuvering.

We are about to set up our 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow the Caravel. The manual calls for mandatory use of a weight distribution system for trailers over 3000 pounds. I'm looking into the Equalizer made Fastway e2 2-Point Sway Control Trunnion Hitch with 4000 pound bars.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
So I tow a 2019 FC27fb with a Toyota Landcruiser 5.7l V8 equipped with a Blue Ox WD hitch. It's about at the limit of towing weight and hitch weight, but seems to work well despite the short wheelbase. I am thinking of getting a 3/4 ton truck to provide some elbow room on the weight and for the longer TV wheelbase. It would have built-in "sway control" and rear air bags. Would I still need a WD hitch and why?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:46 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, I think you will still need the WD hitch. Because the WD balances the truck out a little and provides some sway control. What is wrong with having those two things? I don't see what is actually gained by "towing on the ball". I drive a 2500 with a WD hitch and never even thought about trying it without the WD hitch. Having read this discussion I still see no point in trying it.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
You will still want to use some sway control bars, but should not need weight dist. Because your vehicle is big and heavy enough, and is not overloaded....
Old 10-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #70
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I have a newer F250 with Ford's built-in sway control. Have towed my 27FB in excess 10,000 miles with no additional sway control or weight distribution. In my opinion, these systems are not necessary with Ford's new technology.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Guy View Post
I have a newer F250 with Ford's built-in sway control. Have towed my 27FB in excess 10,000 miles with no additional sway control or weight distribution. In my opinion, these systems are not necessary with Ford's new technology.
I trust that you have not experienced an event where your Ford's built in sway control has engaged. Once it has, please post an update on your experience. My bet is that you will never want to experience it again and wished you had traditional trailer sway control of some kind. With an F250 you may not need WD, but sway control is another matter all together.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by datwyver View Post
So I tow a 2019 FC27fb with a Toyota Landcruiser 5.7l V8 equipped with a Blue Ox WD hitch. It's about at the limit of towing weight and hitch weight, but seems to work well despite the short wheelbase. I am thinking of getting a 3/4 ton truck to provide some elbow room on the weight and for the longer TV wheelbase. It would have built-in "sway control" and rear air bags. Would I still need a WD hitch and why?

You may or may not need a WD hitch - the only way to know for sure is a 3-pass weight on the CAT scales and see how much weight gets lifted off the front end of your truck when you attach the trailer. Compare those results with your truck’s user manual and make the call.

In my case, I have a 3/4T diesel towing a 27FB. With a tongue of near 1000# the scales show almost half of that gets lifted off the steer axle of the truck when attaching the trailer (and keep in mind - this is a diesel - a very heavy front end truck).

Air bags don’t do anything for distributing weight though they could level the truck if the headlights are pointing upward - but they’d only be doing that because of the weight issue which would suggest a WD hitch is a good idea to maintain steering capability and to balance the load across 3 sets of axles.

I don’t know how Ford’s sway control technology works. My Chevy is a 2013 and doesn’t have that feature - I rely on my VPP WD hitch to prevent sway and don’t know how my hitch would interact with that kind of technology.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Yes. And a seatbelt doesn’t help if your vehicle gets hit by a falling satellite. Ergo - best not to bother with seatbelts at all. Just makes sense....

[emoji849]
Well said.

Skill vs. Luck.

Using extra protection mitigates the damage either way.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Towing on just the ball-alternate title we didn't die

It’s not exactly luck or skill. It’s properly managing inherent risk while towing (or any activity, for that matter.)

Risk can be minimized by understanding the dynamics of towing with your rig, using equipment that prevents sway, and properly distributed weight and loading based on measurements.

I’m confident in the behavior of my rig, and drive conservatively. I don’t pay a lot of attention to opinions not backed by fact or science. We just completed a 4,000 mile trip under windy conditions, with no issues or problem other than those induced by other drivers. Panic stops, hard evasive maneuvers were par for the course. The Airstream followed my Tacoma like an obedient puppy through all this.

Bottom line, I believe I have the proper setup for what I’m towing and driving. I’m quite comfortable loading my family and dogs aboard and going whatever places we choose to visit.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:42 AM   #75

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This thread is temporarily closed.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread