Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Ponte Vedra , Florida
Towing on just the ball-alternate title we didn't die

This is nothing more than an observation, not attempting to create arguments. Certainly I am aware of the large amount of commentary (on line) regarding towing without your anti-sway hitch fully engaged. Following is my experience the other day.

I had an occasion to pull for about 30 miles prior to connecting the bars on my Blue Ox hitch, and well, we didn't die, nor did we have any white knuckle moments.

The scenario: Hwy 231 south from Dothan to the Loves at the I 10 intersection, crosswind of approx 15 mph, about half full tanks on a 31 classic (2018) and a 2017 f350 dually. 55 to 68 mph and not really any discernible increased wag or sway on the trailer in rear view mirror. We passed a vehicle or two and were passed by more than one vehicle (no semi).

The only noticed difference was when leaving the camp site, the speed bumps in the park felt more significant in both the truck and when the trailer passed over them.

As a side note we saw 10 other Airstreams as we drove from Dothan to Jacksonville-that is most we have ever seen in a whole trip let alone one day!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I had the same experince when I towed my new 22 sport from Salt Lake City Utah to missoula Montana. No sway no problems. I was passed and also passed semi trucks and travelled over several mountain passes on the ball. I am thinking it’s tow vehicle dependent and I also had almost equal weight on both of the tow vehicles axles.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Towing with or without a properly set up WD system is not that important.

Until it is, of course.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
When my Airstream was new to me I made a couple of 2,000 mile round trips on the ball with my half ton, it was cool until I went over about 62 mph.

Since it’s not possible for me to drive under 62 mph I bought a Hensley.

The deciding moment on all of that for me was when three lanes of 1-20 south of Dallas had to exit left. I was flanked by semi trucks on either side on a slight downhill grade...... that’s when she started swaying....

Anyway, after arriving safely home that evening I put the winning bid on a Hensley.

I have a problem being in a position where I have to block traffic because of equipment limitations, Mr. Hensley made that a non issue.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Towing with or without a properly set up WD system is not that important.

Until it is, of course.

Pat
PLUS...when the time does occur, what will your Family say about your not wanting to spend a little more to set up the $$$$ Airstream properly.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Well you have a Dually with 5,000 lbs on the rear axle with a lot of tread on the road. It would take a lot of sway for that vehicle to break traction on the rear end
Old 12-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Well you have a Dually with 5,000 lbs on the rear axle with a lot of tread on the road. It would take a lot of sway for that vehicle to break traction on the rear end

^^^^This! Sure WD is “nice to have” but totally unnecessary when your TV is rated for a payload 3 times higher than the weight of an airstream.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yep...for sure, no need for anti sway or wd.

Your'e AS is swaying like a drunk and you won't even notice.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Until it rolls both vehicles...
I’d rather not do the paperwork or have to explain to my DW why I scuffed HER precious shiny pickup truck. Never mind the insurance adjuster...DW is much, much more dangerous...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post

When a trailer sways out of control it doesn’t really care what’s hooked to the front of it....

#Justsayin

Old 12-30-2018, 06:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I will tow my 28 Serenity home from the storage lot on the ball, with no spring bars. It’s only a few miles, and less than 40 mph. Tows fine, but you can feel the difference over speed bumps. My F250 diesel can handle it, but it tows much better with the WD/sway connected.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
There are lots, perhaps infinite variables to aviation, marine, automotive activity. “Post-mortems “ in commercial activities have usually been well investigated. Private aviation or marine accidents which will involve litigation will be more deeply investigated. Somewhat the same with automotive.

With motorcycles there was the “HURT” investigation and causal analysis of thousands of motorcycle accidents. That study has not been repeated but many of the recommendations have been implemented by rider education.

Some work has been done for RV incidents. While there are recommendations for RV use, there are no significant licensing requirements.. just hitch and go without much oversight, review and remedy.

My experience in aviation, marine, motorcycles, automotive translates to RV in many ways. This translates to towing with and without WD and poor setup, gear, loading...

So I don’t think your example is comparative with many of the rigs out here. You have plenty of truck for the application.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
^^^^This! Sure WD is “nice to have” but totally unnecessary when your TV is rated for a payload 3 times higher than the weight of an airstream.
A little misconception w/this theory trailer almost sways then tv will start to sway when trailer becomes unstable, then hopefully you are able to save w/out accident. wdh w/sway control less money than loss of AS maybe your life or some one else besides monetary cost plus AS. I don't like these kinds of odds. I have followed trailers being del. from various manf. towed only on ball and sway looks like a hula dancer.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
W-D bars alone?

I've towed without a W-D hitch (but did have one of the friction sway moderators attached) and with a W-D hitch, with the same friction device.

I've been sway-free, both ways, with just a little wiggle when a semi flies by. Trailer definitely feels "more attached," though, with the W-D hitch hooked up.

One question: Do the W-D bars alone help control sway? Or is the friction thing doing all that work?

I'm using a Pro Series hitch, an inexpensive knockoff, I'm guessing, of some well-known brand.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I've towed without a W-D hitch (but did have one of the friction sway moderators attached) and with a W-D hitch, with the same friction device.

I've been sway-free, both ways, with just a little wiggle when a semi flies by. Trailer definitely feels "more attached," though, with the W-D hitch hooked up.

One question: Do the W-D bars alone help control sway? Or is the friction thing doing all that work?

I'm using a Pro Series hitch, an inexpensive knockoff, I'm guessing, of some well-known brand.

W-D bars by themselves offer little, if any, sway control...they are exactly as they are described (Weight Distributing). The Reese Dual Cam, and it's newer version, (Straight Line) and others similar to it, do offer sway control. Then you have the ProPride and others who have a different pivot point..(which is another arguement in other threads).

Research and towing experience will answer these questions much better...

Larry C
Old 12-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
A proper set-up provides a little forgiveness. Forgiveness when you crest a hill a little faster than you should have, and have to perform a maneuver such as quick braking and turning while heading downhill.

Or avoiding a road alligator that the vehicle in front of you concealed.

Of course, if you always tow on the straight and narrow, and never will be caught with your attention wandering, then you won't need to worry about proper setup.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As we age, our reaction time increases. WD and sway control help compensate for slow reactions by reducing the need to react quickly and properly to the start of a sway event. Proper setup and equipment increases overall safety.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
The only wdh w/sway control I have ever used since 1967 is Reese dual cam since Reese started manf. [old stye]. when going around sharp curves at speed will make a little resistance trying to trait line AS. My flat bed impl.trailers that hauls skid steer back hoe etc. on ball if not loaded exact will sway at higher speeds no fun. Some times boat will sway also.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Using a WD hitch if sort of like brakes. Overrated until you need them.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
OP is lucky to have survived his short trip, and without killing others on the road. LOL
Any responders here ever tow with a 1 ton dually?

Alan
Closed Thread