Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
In trying to figure out the "sway" propensity that my '94 tri-axle had behind my Excursion, I went through a lot of components until I figured out that the springs weren't heavy enough to keep the body centered over the rear axle. A set of radius rods and an aftermarket suspension anti-body roll bar as well as a shorter hitch ball-mount draw bar did wonders for that setup. Again, when the 34' acted up, because it was the truck suspension causing the problems to begin with, doing anything other than holding the steering straight caused lots of problems.

Just another lesson learned the hard way.

Roger
I've recently thought about how a raduis rod, or panhard rod would help the stability of the rear of my tow vehicle while towing. Do you remember where you got them? I've been searching the aftermarket parts books that I have looking for something like that with no success.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #82

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Oxnard , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
Thanks. Once again you’ve injected some reason and facts into the echo chamber so often common in enthusiast forums.
I’d like to offer a few comments into the mix. The owner’s manual for my 72 Tradewind has a section titled "Hitching Up". The illustrations show a Reese Dual Cam with Sway Control and the recommended procedure for making the adjustments to the draw head and bars.
Was the Reese WD hitch Airstream’s preferred choice? The Manual for the hitch was included with the literature that came with the trailer and the brackets are still on the tongue. The hitch is long gone.
There is a caution in that section, which reads:

If your car is equipped with adjustable load leveling air shocks, you must load the car first with typical luggage and passengers and bring it back to level. Then attach the trailer and adjust the load leveling bars. Otherwise the air shocks on your car will overload the rear wheels.

This appears to contradict the statement that air shocks should be disabled.
The Ford Expedition I use as my TV is rated at 6900# in it’s current configuration. It uses air bags as its springs. No leafs or coils. When set up as per the owner’s manual I have never experienced any sway in either of the trailers using a Draw-Tite round bar unit. I would have to suggest that a continuously variable, processor controlled air bag with functioning shocks would be the equivalent of a correctly sized metallic spring for a given load.
The only time I have ever had any diminished control was when a tire on the rear of a TV had a sudden loss of pressure at 60 MPH. That was the only time the tail wagged the dog.
The effect was startling but controllable. Would a Dual Cam have helped? I don’t know.

Just rambling as usual,
Tom.
I am a new user towing a 28 ft Safari with a Lincoln Navigator with automatic air bags but with an on/off switch on the passenger side slightly under the panel and on the right wall in front of the door. I followed the manual as to the set up instruction that you quote but after I set the vehicle level with the load in place, luggage, people, etc. and it leveled out then I turned off the auto air switch. Then lowered the Airstream tongue onto the hitch ball. The load is about 950 pounds max. The Airstream rides level but the rear of the Navigator is down. I have stabilizer etc. It towed 350 miles with no problems but my headlights are affected. Is this the right way or are the Airstream and the tow vehicle both supposed to be level to have proper weight distribution? The front axel of my airstream shows a greater load than the rear axel.
Jim Hawkins in Calfornia
jvhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #83
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I've recently thought about how a raduis rod, or panhard rod would help the stability of the rear of my tow vehicle while towing. Do you remember where you got them? I've been searching the aftermarket parts books that I have looking for something like that with no success.
Steve, what is your tow vehicle? My LANDYOT radius rods were custom made by a machinist who turned Excursion radius rods into a cottage industry. The sway bar was by Hellwig.

At the very least, I'd recommend the Hellwig rear sway bar on any tow vehicle.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #84
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvhawkins View Post
I am a new user towing a 28 ft Safari with a Lincoln Navigator with automatic air bags but with an on/off switch on the passenger side slightly under the panel and on the right wall in front of the door.

The load is about 950 pounds max. The Airstream rides level but the rear of the Navigator is down. I have stabilizer etc.

Is this the right way or are the Airstream and the tow vehicle both supposed to be level to have proper weight distribution?

Jim Hawkins in Calfornia
Jim, not to hijack your question... and I'm sure someone more knowlegeable than I can answer... but a couple of questions...

1) What is your Navigator rated to tow, and what is it's maximum hitch weight?

2) What does the Navigator's owner's manual say about how the auto-leveling suspension is supposed to be used while towing?

3) What brand and style of hitch are you using?

If you can answer those, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Roger
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
JV,

Your Navigator should sit level. The main point of weight distribution hitches are so that the vehicle hunkers down the same amount front and rear. So say you measure the fender wells to the pavement as 32" with the trailer not connected. You then hitch up and find that the back is at 28" now and the front at 30". You play with the hitch setup until you get it where all four wheel wells are now 29" off the ground. You've now 'equalized" your load on all four wheels.

If the trailer is level but the Navigator is tail low, you probably need a drop hitch to keep the trailer the same but "raise" the tail of the Navigator.

No matter what brand of hitch you have, the instructions for the Equal-I-Zer are pretty good for explaining this and you can find them online. I only recommend the Eq because I own one and have set it up and found their directions pretty good. As well, do a search on here and find my thread from about two years back where I detailed the setup of an Eq. I cover all this in painful detail

Take care and see ya on the road!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #86
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I am a new user towing a 28 ft Safari with a Lincoln Navigator with automatic air bags but with an on/off switch on the passenger side slightly under the panel and on the right wall in front of the door. I followed the manual as to the set up instruction that you quote but after I set the vehicle level with the load in place, luggage, people, etc. and it leveled out then I turned off the auto air switch. Then lowered the Airstream tongue onto the hitch ball. The load is about 950 pounds max. The Airstream rides level but the rear of the Navigator is down. I have stabilizer etc. It towed 350 miles with no problems but my headlights are affected. Is this the right way or are the Airstream and the tow vehicle both supposed to be level to have proper weight distribution? The front axel of my airstream shows a greater load than the rear axel.
Jim Hawkins in Calfornia
The ball height on your tow vehicle, must be lower in order to make the tow vehicle become level, as well as that will also allow you to transfer some tongue weight to the front axle of your tow vehicle, as it should be.

As your rig presently sits, you have remove front axle weight, which invites loss of control.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Steve, what is your tow vehicle? My LANDYOT radius rods were custom made by a machinist who turned Excursion radius rods into a cottage industry. The sway bar was by Hellwig.

At the very least, I'd recommend the Hellwig rear sway bar on any tow vehicle.

Roger
OK Roger, but that is not the type of radius rods I was thinking of. I was thinking of a panhard rod which is used to keep the rear end housing from moving side to side under the frame of the truck.

My TV is an '07 GMC EX Cab 1/2 ton, and I tow an '01 25' Excella. I really don't have any "problems", but you probably know how it is....it could always be better. That's why these hitch threads are so interesting to me. My truck has some fairly large overload leafs, and I doubt if there is any axle windup, but I guess it's possible. The truck is very stable...almost sports car stable without the trailer.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #88
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
". . . only observed best practices"

Definitions are always the hardest part.

And I seem to always forget to indicate that -- however strongly I feel about towing -- "best practices" means that no hitch rigging is permanent in my mind. And I am willing to try various sets (I wish 2Air had reported more of this observations -- numbers vs conditions -- with his truck & trailer)

Again, when the 34' acted up . . it was the truck suspension causing the problems . . doing anything other than holding the steering straight caused lots of problems.

The TV is often the problem, IMO. High COG in a TV is a real problem not well-addressed. Wheelbase is cited more often, and I DOUBT that it is more important past 120" wb.

As to trailer type I do not agree that a flatbed trailer is a viable candidate unless the COG can be determined more accurately. Travel trailers tend to have a highly-placed COG versus a utility trailer, and trailer COG (heighth) is key to understanding recovery from sway (as I see it) when we discuss this. Low COG trailers are going to have more time to recover. We do, do we not, travel with full fresh water tanks to offset that roof air-conditioner, etc.

I watch trailers of all sorts on the roads here in South Texas, every kind you can imagine and more (oilfield companies have some highly interesting, expensive rigs), and watching incipient sway is a favorite pastime when driving. I.S. meaning the wind is tipping that booger to one side (we have days, weeks of constant 25 mph winds off the coast, with gusts to 40) and suspension travel is greatly reduced. You should see the clueless -- ambling along at 70 mph with that SOB canted over -- they can't feel a thing through the trucks steering (and I won't say they are always from Manitoba).

What do TT's have, 4" suspension travel, on average? A/S has more?

There can be a real apples-and-oranges problems without sorting for trailer design.

Same for trucks. My 3/4T Dodge diesel has independent front suspension and power-assisted rack & pinion steering. The 4WD version has a straight axle with a worm-gear box. There is -- can be -- a big difference in control for two otherwise similar trucks when precise feel counts.

Etc.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Thanks Richard! I had forgotten that. I haven't looked at one since they were first introduced.

That single-tube tongue also presents a huge problem. And re-visiting the design of the Reese single-bar WDH, I'm not even sure that's an option for you as that snap-up bracket is designed to fit across the top of an A-frame tongue...

You may not have any WDH options for your Basecamp without some significant modifications.

Roger
I've looked at the PDF schematic of the single bar, and if the chain hanger would fit under the front portion of my propane/ac cover, it might work. I can't find the dimensions of it anywhere. The bracket looks like it would go over my single beam, but I'd have to lift the cover to install it... and hooking it up would mean a little bend and stretch to get under the cover to connect the chain. There would be no way to lever it up... it would have to be done with the trailer jack.

And speaking of... my trailer jack is buggered... does anyone recognize the one in the photo posted? It looks much better than the POS one that came with mine.

Thanks!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #90
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Ford recently did this to test their version of anti-sway. Without getting into that debate, I only bring it up because they found a reliable way to induce sway conditions:
They had a semi pass the tow vehicle/trailer combo, and had the driver of the tow vehicle remove his foot from the accelerator at that point.
Hmm that alone is good information.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #91
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Check my set up please

Anybody see anything out of whack with this set up. I just bought and pulled home like this. Seemed to pull great with no issues. Only went about 40 miles. The PO had a Suburban about the same hight as my C-1500 so we set it up that way. I have no experience with a Hensley.
Thanks,
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00738.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	81665   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00741.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	81666  

Name:	DSC00743.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	81667  
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #92
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
OK Roger, but that is not the type of radius rods I was thinking of. I was thinking of a panhard rod which is used to keep the rear end housing from moving side to side under the frame of the truck.

My TV is an '07 GMC EX Cab 1/2 ton, and I tow an '01 25' Excella. I really don't have any "problems", but you probably know how it is....it could always be better. That's why these hitch threads are so interesting to me. My truck has some fairly large overload leafs, and I doubt if there is any axle windup, but I guess it's possible. The truck is very stable...almost sports car stable without the trailer.
Steve, the LandYot radius rods were, in fact, designed to keep the axle centered under the truck, and worked as advertised. They only allow the axle to move up and down, not to twist or move sideways under the truck. The Excursion leaf spring stack was considerably softer than the SuperDuty spring stack for the cushy ride quality.

I don't know if anyone makes such a thing for the GMC trucks... I'd think that their spring stack ought to hold the axle well enough too.

Roger
Old 06-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Anybody see anything out of whack with this set up. I just bought and pulled home like this. Seemed to pull great with no issues. Only went about 40 miles. The PO had a Suburban about the same hight as my C-1500 so we set it up that way. I have no experience with a Hensley.
Joe,

I tow a 30' Airstream Classic with a Hensley....your set-up looks good to me! However, you might consider going through the Hensley manual, if you received one from the PO; if you didn't, give Hensley a call and get one. The Hensley hitch require regular lubrication, and I imagine the PO may have let things go for awhile.

Another thing....crawl under your truck and check out the receiver....we have a GMC Yukon XL, and we upgraded ours to something larger with a few more attachment points.

I love my Hensley....towing a large trailer is much more relaxing with it!

Cheers

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #94
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Another point to consider is that the point of a WDH is to distribute the hitch weight of the trailer back across all three axles in the rig... that means you'll be stressing the Basecamp's frame and placing yet more weight on it's axle. With the pipe frame tongue, I wonder how wise an idea that really is? Is the axle sufficient to handle the extra weight as well?

I confess that I have no practical knowledge of the Basecamp having seen only one on a dealer's lot right after they were introduced... but these might be some issues that are food for thought. It'd be a real bummer to get your new WDH all figured out, set up, and installed only to have the weight transfer break the trailer's frame or axle.

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I've looked at the PDF schematic of the single bar, and if the chain hanger would fit under the front portion of my propane/ac cover, it might work. I can't find the dimensions of it anywhere. The bracket looks like it would go over my single beam, but I'd have to lift the cover to install it... and hooking it up would mean a little bend and stretch to get under the cover to connect the chain. There would be no way to lever it up... it would have to be done with the trailer jack.

And speaking of... my trailer jack is buggered... does anyone recognize the one in the photo posted? It looks much better than the POS one that came with mine.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Navigator / Airstream

Quote:
Jim Hawkins in Calfornia
Hi, jvhawkins. With out going into a great deal of explaining of how it works, for me, I will first say that while hitching and towing I never turn off my air suspension switch. Reading your statement about how you do it, you need to turn the air suspension switch back on as soon as your trailer is connected to your Navigator so it can do it's job of leveling out your vehicle. Better yet do it like I do, leave the switch on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0688 (Large).JPG
Views:	136
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	81669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689 (Large).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	81670  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #96
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Bob,

I was thinking of your setup on the way home through Petaluma tonight. There was a family with a lincoln just like yours. They were pulling a Jayco travel trailer which was probably 30 feet long. They were using only the ball hitch with no weight distribution or sway control. The lincoln was really straining and doing its best to stay level (i wish i had a picture) The front of the trailer was pitched down as the rear of the truck was aswell. Im sure it had the air suspension on as it surely would do damage to it had it not been. My observation was that there was no way for the suspension to keep up with the extreme tongue weight of this trailer. The whole thing looked crazy. Your setup looks perfect and he could learn alot if he just glanced over to yours and asked himself what the heck is wrong with his?!

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Steve, the LandYot radius rods were, in fact, designed to keep the axle centered under the truck, and worked as advertised. They only allow the axle to move up and down, not to twist or move sideways under the truck. The Excursion leaf spring stack was considerably softer than the SuperDuty spring stack for the cushy ride quality.

I don't know if anyone makes such a thing for the GMC trucks... I'd think that their spring stack ought to hold the axle well enough too.

Roger
Roger,

The thing that got me to thinking about a Panhard rod is Ford's advertisement about the 150 having wider spring leafs than GM trucks, and the only advantage that could give is slightly improved side to side stability. How much, I'm not sure.

In the mean time, I've done some rudametary testing on my truck in the driveway applying side pressure to the rear bumper while watching the axle, and I believe any sideways movement there is, is in the tires. The truck is equipped with the 20" tires and wheels.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #98
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Roger,

The thing that got me to thinking about a Panhard rod is Ford's advertisement about the 150 having wider spring leafs than GM trucks, and the only advantage that could give is slightly improved side to side stability. How much, I'm not sure.

In the mean time, I've done some rudametary testing on my truck in the driveway applying side pressure to the rear bumper while watching the axle, and I believe any sideways movement there is, is in the tires. The truck is equipped with the 20" tires and wheels.
That's interesting, Steve. I've never really heard anyone complain about rear-axle steering under the GM trucks like the Excursions had though... and in fact the SuperDuty Fords didn't have it either as their spring stacks were much heavier than that under the Excursion. Before LandYot started building his radius rods, one common fix for the Excursions was to buy the SuperDuty spring stack and install it.

It's interesting that your 20" wheels have sidewall flex... are the tires E rated? E rated tires can have much higher inflations than typical D rated, and inflation is dependent on loading... which gives stiffer sidewalls as necessary.

Roger
Old 06-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
That's interesting, Steve. I've never really heard anyone complain about rear-axle steering under the GM trucks like the Excursions had though... and in fact the SuperDuty Fords didn't have it either as their spring stacks were much heavier than that under the Excursion. Before LandYot started building his radius rods, one common fix for the Excursions was to buy the SuperDuty spring stack and install it.

It's interesting that your 20" wheels have sidewall flex... are the tires E rated? E rated tires can have much higher inflations than typical D rated, and inflation is dependent on loading... which gives stiffer sidewalls as necessary.

Roger
Roger, The tires are only XL (Extra Load) rated passenger tires. Max pressure with them is 44 pounds, but I only inflate them that much when I pull the trailer, and then only in the rear, 35 in the front. The spec air pressure is 30 front and rear. Even with only 30 pounds, they ride very firm.

I don't believe this size tire is made in even "D" load rating. (275/55 20)
Old 06-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #100
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Roger, The tires are only XL (Extra Load) rated passenger tires.
Hmmm... Ok, Steve, I confess that I know absolutely nothing about any kind of tires larger than 16s... so maybe without doing my due diligence research I'm all wet here, but I think before I started messing with anything in the suspension that I'd get some conventional heavy-duty truck tires on that GMC for towing... probably on 16" wheels.

They undoubtedly wouldn't have the "cool" factor of the 20s, but it would be interesting to see if that improved your handling while towing.

Roger