Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #181

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
A Bambi behind an F150 you won't even know that it's there. Put in a controller to take advantage of the brakes that are on the trailer for safety. I'd add a transmission cooler just for piece of mind and if your the sort that keeps a vehicle until the wheels fall of it'll pay for it's self. I'm a big believer in weight distribution hitches but honestly the torsion bars can be a hassle and I think you'd be fine without them. I'd use them but if it's a hassle I think you'd be just fine without.

This is entirely true for our setup - a Caravel behind an E150, but the Caravel is only 2800# and about 250# tongue weight. I wouldn't want to do it with a modern Bambi, which is significantly heavier. However, for our vintage trailer, this setup tows perfectly, and we don't even know it's there.

Part of the reason we don't use weight distribution (in addition to the tongue weight being about equivalent to a stout person sitting in the back end) is that none of the hitch makers make bars for any less than 500# tongue weights, which I think way over-hitches our setup and provides unnecessary stress on the trailer. We were towing with 1000# bars when we started out, not knowing any better, and we were losing rivets out of the front end.

This is my opinion, for my trailer only - what you find works with your trailer might be completely different.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
For Small, Light Trailers

Here's a WD hitch that only uses one bar, and is designed for trailers up to 4,000 pounds, and for tongue weights from 100-400 pounds. So, it would work well on even early model Bambis with a moderate to small tow vehicle. Probably not needed with a 3/4 ton truck, however.

Single Bar Weight Distribution Kit for A-Frame 3205 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Later I will give a report on how this hitch does, as I have one on order to use with the 17' Casita that I use going to RC funflys.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #183

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Here's a WD hitch that only uses one bar, and is designed for trailers up to 4,000 pounds, and for tongue weights from 100-400 pounds. So, it would work well on even early model Bambis with a moderate to small tow vehicle. Probably not needed with a 3/4 ton truck, however.

Single Bar Weight Distribution Kit for A-Frame 3205 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Later I will give a report on how this hitch does, as I have one on order to use with the 17' Casita that I use going to RC funflys.
Thanks for posting that. I'll be interested to hear how you like it. If we ever switch to a smaller tow vehicle, I'll be looking for lightweight WD.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #184
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
Anti Sway Myths????About HENSELEYS

My ONE question to all the people on line who have or have used a Henseley Arrow is this.
Have you ever flipped or wrecked your airstream with a Henseley properly installed????? If so reply to this forum.Anyone???? I'm honestly very interested to hearing your responses.Also any stories about how your Henseley saved your rig. Thanks MI Silver
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #185
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
In reading all these posts, unless I missed it I haven't seen a single person speak about the Draw-Tite WD hitch. When I bought my 2001 S-10 Blazer, the dealership threw in a Class IV hitch and the Draw-Tite stinger and bars, which are rated at 750lbs. I've since sold the Blazer, but I kept the Draw-Tite. Last year, when I sold our 3500 Ram, I left the Reese setup with it. I pulled out the Draw-Tite and put it on our F350 King Ranch, and I think it does a great job with our Sovereign. Then again, I can tow without the WD bars and there's not much of a difference...that King Ranch is a tank, and with a 1400lb hauler bed, it's not going anywhere.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote