Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The last person I would ask for an unbiased opinion is the manufacturers or a dealer that pushes one brand. Asking for opinions here sometimes can be rather pointless as you you get responses from people that also have other agendas. You have to be able to tell the difference. Not that hard to do after reading a few of their post.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
The OP is interested in towing particulars for safety reasons. Me too. Where the rubber meets the road is where the rubber meets the road. There are folks out there towing with hitches priced from a few hundred dollars to a several thousand dollars. I'm not interested in which ones look better, feel better, bestow the most pride of ownership, whatever. I'm interested in which ones are *safest*.

So forget hypotheticals and opinions. Let's deal in facts. One way to do that is to try and track crashes and their specifics. Is there a thread here that does that? Or are accidents so rare that there's not much to discuss? If crashes are extremely rare it would indicate that just about all hitches are safe.

Flamesuit on.

Poppy

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I have had a little experience towing trailers. (51 years, actually) However, now that I am in the presence of "experts", I would like to pose a question about something that I have wondered about all these years.

What makes the popping and creaking noise when turning, especially when backing and turning?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
As far as that goes there are few reports of people crashing their trailers while towing on the ball.

I am a person who mixes a certain amount of confidence and experience with a certain amount of respect for how a trailer can get out of shape.

In this line of reasoning, it is entirely possible for one person towing a big trailer on a ball can be safer than another person towing a little trailer with a state of the art hitch.

The biggest advantage I am likely to see with my Hensley is EASIER driving. In other words I will be able to cover more miles with less fatigue.

Frankly, an Airstream on a ball is harder to drive down the road than a large tractor trailer. Harder does not have to mean unsafe though.

That and that truck I didn't notice coming up in my rear view mirror wont startle me quite so much...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My trailer didn't pop and creak when it was being towed on the ball, nor has it on the hundred miles of me testing my Hensley.

I have read a lot of popping and creaking posts regarding other brands of sway control/WD.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
J excellently stated, I agree. Jim
Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Most of the popping and creaking you hear is from my knees.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
One of the most noticeable things about my new Blue Ox Sway Pro and the Draw Tite (POS) that came with my trailer is how quite the Sway Pro is compared to the Draw Tite. No banging, clanging, creaking, jerking or noticeable sway. It is even easier to hookup and unhook than the Andersen System. The head is heavy but well worth the effort to lift it for the job it performs. I only have about 100 miles on the Sway Pro so far but first impression is very positive.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
As far as that goes there are few reports of people crashing their trailers while towing on the ball.

I am a person who mixes a certain amount of confidence and experience with a certain amount of respect for how a trailer can get out of shape.

In this line of reasoning, it is entirely possible for one person towing a big trailer on a ball can be safer than another person towing a little trailer with a state of the art hitch.

The biggest advantage I am likely to see with my Hensley is EASIER driving. In other words I will be able to cover more miles with less fatigue.

Frankly, an Airstream on a ball is harder to drive down the road than a large tractor trailer. Harder does not have to mean unsafe though.

That and that truck I didn't notice coming up in my rear view mirror wont startle me quite so much...
One of the best posts I've read on this topic - and I think I've read 100's of them.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Old 08-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Second the quietness of the Blue Ox - never a sound whether going straight ahead, turning, or backing up.

J said:

"The biggest advantage I am likely to see with my Hensley is EASIER driving. In other words I will be able to cover more miles with less fatigue."

I think that's spot on. I feel the same way with my Blue Ox. Admittedly it could be that ignorance is bliss as I haven't towed an AS for very long - about a year and 5,000 miles - but I have pulled trailers most of my life (boats mainly) and the rig I have right now just feels solid to me.

Perhaps my naiveté is what makes me feel like it's not necessary to pungle up the big bucks for a premium priced hitch, but I'm comfortable.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Old 08-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Look for the post "A really bad day". The OP shows pictures of his crash and rollover. The trailer is still connected to the TV via his Blue Ox Pro. I really like mine and can't see changing. It is super easy to connect and I don't have to have a death grip on the steering wheel when under way. Totally quiet and backing up is no problem.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
We should catalog all accidents in a thread. I think I'll start one, do some research, and add some links starting with the one mrprez provided.

Poppy

Edit: Here's the new thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1497390

Hopefully it's not a duplicate.
WBCCI #4291

Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Great idea on the accident thread. Let us see if it might be kept "clean" enough to be useful......

Old 08-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I think I have an Equaliser or something. It was what the dealer had in stock. (the only one he had in stock) At first I didn't have any popping, but now after about 3,000 miles it sounds terrible back there.

I've had a Blue Ox tow bar on my MH and loved it. Perhaps I should check out their WD hitch.