Old 07-23-2005, 09:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
OK - I have to admit...

I did take a look at a new Excursion today.... employee pricing...tempting... I always wanted a Diesel for a varieity of reasons...

Thinking... Thinking...Need to work on the wife now...

Kevin

Old 07-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We have a 28' CCD, and tow it with a Chevy 2500HD with the 8.1 and Allison transmission. I'm not sure there are very many vehicles with more rated tow capacity. But to be honest, I wonder sometimes if something a little lighter wouldn't be a viable option. The ordinary gas mileage of my monster without the trailer is not very impressive. Best I've ever done is about 15, and that was on new tires, at 55 mph on an interstate. With the trailer fully loaded, somewhere between 10 and 12 mpg is more typical. If I were looking at new vehicles, I think I'd check out the Nissans.

On the other hand, I have never felt even the tiniest hint of sway, under any conditions. We use the Equal-I-Zer hitch, which could not be simpler to hitch and unhitch, and requires no drilling of the trailer frame, or fussing with chains. I can't figure out why they aren't more popular.

Braking with the Brakesmart controller is excellent. It costs more, but operates on a more consistent principle than the inertial units, in my experience.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #17

Two vehicle/hitch help

Thanks to all who have replied with info and suggestions. After all of this, I went and bought a new 2005 2500 HD GMC Sierra with duramax diesel, and allison transmission. In our area, there were practically no Yukons or Suburbans with the big block V-8, so I took the plunge and bought a crew cab pick-up with the standard bed. With all of the current GM incentives, I just couldn't help but pull the trigger on the deal. Tomorrow we'll place the order for our 28' Safari. I guess if nothing else, we are doing our part to keep the economy rolling. I'll let you all know when the Safari is delivered - probably not until late October.

Again -- thanks for all the help!

Trav
Old 07-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Expy wheelbase doesn't measure up

If there is one thing that has been driven home here, is the importance of the longest wheelbase you can get. The Chevy Avalanche shares the same wheel base as the Burb. Gosh I didn't know Suburbans were that big! But now I can't decide between white or black. Do you the weight of this TV will negatively impact the CGVR?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black avalancheweb.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	13657   Click image for larger version

Name:	white avalancheweb.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	13658  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:51 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
If there is one thing that has been driven home here, is the importance of the longest wheelbase you can get. The Chevy Avalanche shares the same wheel base as the Burb. Gosh I didn't know Suburbans were that big! But now I can't decide between white or black. Do you the weight of this TV will negatively impact the CGVR?
Only if you get the optional spa, and fill it before towing!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Excursion Downhill

Wife took the 05 Excursion PS on a business trip for the first time (no trailer). She is having trouble getting used to the size but that will change with familiarity. She called last night and said that she felt that the vehicle seemed to steer vaguely when going down a steep hill on the interstate. Question: is this a sway bar problem? What do I check?
(non-"mechanic-ese" please)

Thanks,
Iver
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #21
Old Member

2000 31' Excella
Austin , Texas
Tow Power

The vehicles you list would all do a very good job, but, unless you intend to take the Safari off road, they are all much more vehicle than you need. I have towed a 34' and now a 31' Excella with a Chevy 2500HD PU with a Vortec 6000, automatic with tow mode, and 4.10 locking rear end. It is rated at 10,300 max trailer weight. This combination does a fine job. It is much less expensive than the ones you list and gets better gas mileage. For a hitch, I like the Reece Strait-Line. It is both hitch and anti-sway in one. Good luck.

Chuck
Old 10-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
In non-mechaniceese, as requested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iver
Wife took the 05 Excursion PS on a business trip for the first time (no trailer). She is having trouble getting used to the size but that will change with familiarity. She called last night and said that she felt that the vehicle seemed to steer vaguely when going down a steep hill on the interstate. Question: is this a sway bar problem? What do I check?
(non-"mechanic-ese" please)

Thanks,
Iver
The Excursions don't have the heavy-duty springs in the back that the F250's have, and they tend to sway a bit because of it. there are several threads dealing with this, and there are other forums with even more info on this.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
I just bought my 77 overlander a couple of months ago and drove it from Tampa, FL to Hunstville AL. I am towing it with a 2500 dodge Ram diesel. Prior to leaving FL, I had a brake controller installed on my truck and have since had the brakes redone on the trailer. I was advised in FL that I should have sway bars and a weight distribution system. On mostly interstate travel I had no problem with fishtailing or the handling of the trailer. I am also a newby and this was my maiden voyage. I have just had the trailer tongue sandblasted and painted to remove the rust and now am ready for the next step. My question is, do I really need the sway bars and weight distribution system? Which brands have you found are the most valuable for the buck as I have seen quite a wide distribution of prices and I am not at all sure what I am looking for!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tow Vehicle/Hitch Help

Greetings dustyrhodes!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrhodes
I just bought my 77 overlander a couple of months ago and drove it from Tampa, FL to Hunstville AL. I am towing it with a 2500 dodge Ram diesel. Prior to leaving FL, I had a brake controller installed on my truck and have since had the brakes redone on the trailer. I was advised in FL that I should have sway bars and a weight distribution system. On mostly interstate travel I had no problem with fishtailing or the handling of the trailer. I am also a newby and this was my maiden voyage. I have just had the trailer tongue sandblasted and painted to remove the rust and now am ready for the next step. My question is, do I really need the sway bars and weight distribution system? Which brands have you found are the most valuable for the buck as I have seen quite a wide distribution of prices and I am not at all sure what I am looking for!
I have towed my Overlander all over the US with three different tow vehicles, and wouldn't be without my Reese Strait-Line Hitch that includes the Dual Cam Sway Control system. I have never had a sway problem with either of my coaches, but view the premium Reese Strait-Line system as a relatively inexpensive insurance policy -- I had a bad experience with sway on my Nomad trailer that had a friction sway control system that was more of an adjustment nuisance than a help. My tow vehicles have included a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (360 V8 with 3.90 differentials -- my second choice after my current Suburban), then a 1995 Chevrolet K1500 Z-71 Club Cab pickup (wouldn't recommend that vehicle to anyone -- horrible ride characteristics and minimal power), and my current '99 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10 differentials) -- the Suburban has served me well for 154,000 miles and continues to be one of my all-time favorite vehicles.

The one key with the Reese Strait-Line system is proper setup with well-matched weight distribution spring bars. The gentleman who assisted me with the setup for my Suburban introduced me to the idea of utilizing spring bars that were rated for no more than the loaded hitch weight of the coach -- it helped to offset the heavier springing of the 3/4-ton tow vehicle. The properly matched weight distribution bars along with a carefully adjusted hitch head (height and angle) made a tremendous difference in the towing characteristics of the combination whether Suburban/Minuet or Suburban Overlander.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote