Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Tow chain suggestions?

howdy Folks,

The tongue jack on our '71 Safari is bent and difficult to raise and lower, so it needs to be replaced. I removed it this past weekend and was surprised that the tow chains were jutted up against the lower area of the tongue jack very tightly. They are welded to the bottom of the the frame as expected, but they are jutted up against the tongue jack pretty darn tight - so much so that it made pulling out the jack difficult.

The new jack (a 2000 lbs BAL manual jack) doesn't fit in the bottom hole of the support bracket welded to the frame, so it will need to be increased. It looks like I will also have to remove the chains from the bottom of the frame to increase the hole for the jack.

So, this all leads to a couple of questions. Is is there a better way of attaching the chains to the bottom of the frame other than welding?

Since I have to remove the chains, I'd like to replace them with new, higher quality chains.

I'd read various threads on chains for towing, but didn't see specific recommendations.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have had good luck with tulsachain.com for short pieces of unusual stuff. They have a fairly informative web site.

In some if not most states the chains must be permanently attached to the trailer. Welding is the customary way of doing this.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Chain selection is typically defined by state law but some states have little information on their requirements. We have seven RV's stored at our office and the heaviest chain out there is 5/16' diameter. Some are connected by welding while others are bolted.

The chains on the 76 Sovereign are welded as shown below, while the chains on our Avion are bolted. The bolted chains are a surprise to me so the connection will be changed during our Winter service interval.

Good luck,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0485.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	108409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0486.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	108410  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Avion.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	108411  

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Big boats use special chain at the end of their anchor rode (rope) that is certified for strength. Check out chain at your local marine supply store (e.g., West Marine, etc.). Also, most marine anchor chain is treated for salt water, which may be overkill for trailer safety chains, but the hot zinc coating on some of them will probably help with rust and last a long time. Also, it comes in various sizes.

I don't suggest that you use chain from the local hardware store. While it looks the same, I doubt if it has been tested (and certified) for safety applications.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Here are two resources for off-the-shelf chains that may be of interest to you.

McMaster-Carr

etrailer.com - Accessories and Parts chain

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Most local farm/tractor supply stores and auto parts stores in rural area have various size chain on big rolls. They will cut what ever length you need. My local NAPA also has various style hooks for the different size chain.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ins-30021.html

Post 49

The strength rating of each length of safety chain or its equivalent and its attachments shall be equal to or exceed in minimum breaking force the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the trailer.

A 7k trailer needs two chains of more than 7k breaking force. Not combined. Each chain.

Stick with certified chain from a specialty supplier, not the unknowns of discount pricing.

The "test" is brutal.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
_

. , .
the same make of chain new stream FRAMES include (( PREwelded by the frame vendor)) is available...

SEE the last link below which includes a plethora of resource info on da'links.

also see the specs for various size/weights of trailers (note the date of this post)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...html#post34339

peerless vendor link...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Thanks for the suggestions and information everyone. I received a set of Peerless chains yesterday from Redneck Trailers and will have them welded on tomorrow or Saturday.

Thanks again!!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote