Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
touareg, bambi and weight distribution hitch

hello all
this seems to be a sticky topic...

i have a 2008 touareg with no air suspension.
out trailer came with a reese 750lb weight dist hitch.

thought this was a good thing until i saw that it is not recommended to use a weight dist hitch with a touareg for fear of separation.

so...am i ok to tow it without it? trailer hitch has a sticker that seems to say it has a max tongue capacity of 770lbs. i want to be safe...

thanks
eric
ericwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Eric

There is no reason not to use an equalizing hitch with your combination. We have several customers with Touaregs with them and there have been no problems. On larger trailers we do strengthen the receivers but It is fine with the 19'. You should not tow an Airstream without an equalizing hitch.

One concern I have is if you have the Reese cast iron hitch shank it will force your ball to be too far behind the bumper. You can change to an Eaz-Lift shank which you can redrill to get the ball in much closer.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwarren View Post
...so...am i ok to tow it without it?...
here is a thread that my help some...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-ii-21000.html

post #37 has a picture of the t-rex receiver, and shows the issues about HOW it attaches..

i think it's absolutely critical that the AXLES and trailer/tv be weighed to get just the right spring bar tension.

of course the good reason NOT to use w/d is that vw recommends AGAINST doing so.

and there are potential consequences in NOT following the manufacturers guidelines.

the problem is greater than NOT having w/d...the larger issue is NOT having sway control...

should u opt for a haha or the new version, sway control is total even without w/d bar tension.

devoman tows a 25 with a t-rex and has been mostly satisfied...

search his list of thread starts for several strings on this issue, here are 2...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ght-19734.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ari-20739.html

the key, i think is to get the axle weights and tension ONLY enough to restore front axle load.

then INSPECT the receiver attachments regularly for any signs of separation or change.

there are a dozen or so threads on your v'dub and several 'former' users who have moved on to beefier stock...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote