Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Nice guy

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Asheville , North Carolina
Too much tongue weight for hitch? 78 Tradewind 25ft

I just got my trailer and tow vehicle weighed at truck stop. The trailer weighs #4040 lbs dry. Remodeled inside and new couch/bed replacing goucho bed, cabinets etc. Most of things impacting weight in front of axles.
Big surpise is the tongue weight is #800lbs!! Think it should be #600+lbs.
I hope the way I did this is correct. Took to truck stop scales. Weighed trailer and pick up truck at same time with each on seperate scale plate. Then went back and weighed truck without trailer, subtracted the difference from earlier truck weight to get trailer tongue weight.
Is this a accurate way to do this. If so will the #800lbs tongue weight be a problem on hitch. It is a equalizer hitch and truck is a 1960 F250.
Thanks for your help.
Nick
ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tailer/Tongue weight. 78 Tradewind 25ft

Greetings Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashe View Post
I just got my trailer and tow vehicle weighed at truck stop. The trailer weighs #4040 lbs dry. Remodeled inside and new couch/bed replacing goucho bed, cabinets etc. Most of things impacting weight in front of axles.
Big surpise is the tongue weight is #800lbs!! Think it should be #600+lbs.
I hope the way I did this is correct. Took to truck stop scales. Weighed trailer and pick up truck at same time with each on seperate scale plate. Then went back and weighed truck without trailer, subtracted the difference from earlier truck weight to get trailer tongue weight.
Is this a accurate way to do this. If so will the #800lbs tongue weight be a problem on hitch. It is a equalizer hitch and truck is a 1960 F250.
Thanks for your help.
Nick
I wouldn't be terribly shocked if your hitch weight is fairly close to accurate (if you are working with a Tradewind that is loaded ready for a trip). My '64 Overlander (26' 8") weighs between 6,000 and 6,100 pounds when loaded for a trip and the hitch weight hovers very close to 750 pounds. My Overlander does have twin 40 Lb. LP tanks rather than the original 30 Lb. Lp tanks. Empty, my Overlander has a weight of 4,725 pounds with the hitch weight hovering around 625 pounds.

It is difficult to say whether there may be a problem with the tongue weight and your hitch. The answer depends on several variables:
  1. Weight rating of the actual hitch receiver on your tow vehicle -- this can vary according to manufacturer and specifics to the design for that vehicle
  2. Weight rating of the draw bar.
  3. Weight rating of weight distribution bars.
The first two are most critical since if either of those is under-rated, you have a definite major safety issue. Weight distribution bars are a slightly different situation as they may be rated at below the tongue weight of the coach if you have a stiffly sprung truck-based tow vehicle. For instance, when towing my Overlander with my K2500 Suburban, I utilize 600 pound weight distribution bars -- but when towing with my Cadillac, I utilize 800 pound weight distribution bars.

Determining the weight ratings of the various hitch components can be difficult as I haven't found any that have ratings stamped on the component. Usually, a dealer who handles the brand can take physical measurements of the parts and provide the factory ratings.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Nice guy

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Asheville , North Carolina
Thanks Kevin,
Trailer was dry weight. My equalizer hitch bars are rated at 1000#lbs but I did not have them connected when I weighed the trailer and truck on the scales. Manual says it should be 600 or 675lbs, do not have it here to check. Main concern is the method I used likely to give me a accurate hitch weight? Your thougts?
Nick
ashe is offline   Reply With Quote