Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #81
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #82
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor-d View Post
After wading throught six pages of "to or not to Hensley" I am starting to suspect that the 2008 17ft Safari Sport that I acquired which is equipped with a Hensley Arrow would just be excess baggage - not the trailer itself of course!

My TV, a 2010 Chevy 1500, 5.3liter V8, Z71, with HD trailering package pulls my tandem axle, just under 4000lb 34ft gross length boat trailer, with just the ball on the highway with no problems (I have a 22ft C Dory which gives a fair amount of windage on the trailer).

Does anyone have any observations? Thanks - Dave
Dave

It is my observation that boat trailers and Airstreams are very different in ways that length, surface area, and weight, do not capture.

The main difference is that with a trailered boat, most of the weight is close to the axle(s). Now, this isn't about the balance point or center of mass, which is similar for boat trailers and Airstreams. It's about the distribution of weight. In technical terms it's called the moment of inertia.

For an Airstream, the weight is fairly evenly distributed along the length. The placement of water tanks near the axles is balanced by the considerable weight of the front and rear end caps, batteries, and propane tanks. In contrast a trailered boat has more of the weight near the axle, because the bow is usually light.

I believe this is the main reason sway is so much less of a problem in the boating world.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
I own a Hensley and it a great anti sway hitch.But it can be hard to hitch.If I were you I would check out Pro-Pride.It's owned by the guy who started Hensley and is supose to be much easier to hitch.Google Pro-Pride
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #84
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Dave

balanced by the considerable weight of the front and rear end caps,
These Guys must have ate their Wheaties!
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi silver View Post
I own a Hensley and it a great anti sway hitch.But it can be hard to hitch.If I were you I would check out Pro-Pride.It's owned by the guy who started Hensley and is supose to be much easier to hitch.Google Pro-Pride
Have you tried the idea of making up a 2"x2" x 18" wooden dummy hitch bar to stick in the Hensley as you back up with the tow vehicle? I made one up recently and it seems a very good way to ensure you have the angle of the stinger and hitch box matched for an easier hookup.

I made one recently and find it a big help. In fact I also made up an adjustable level bubble gadget that I can move back and forth from the hitch to the stinger to make sure the angles are spot on rather than relying on eyeballing it. very quick to use and so far seems effective.

I wonder why the Pro Pride would be that much easier to hitch that the Hensley, are they not pretty similar in design?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I wonder why the Pro Pride would be that much easier to hitch that the Hensley, are they not pretty similar in design?

Brian
I own a ProPride hitch and it is easier to hook up because the angles on the drawbar where it seats into the hitch are wider. Basically, it is less critical to hook up.

The other benefits of the ProPride are adjustability of the drawbar allowing the change of tow vehicle without having a new drawbar made (the HaHa is welded and must be rebuilt if the TV receiver height or angle changes), and it is easier to install and requires no drilling of the trailer "A" frame.

One last thing....it is $500 cheaper list price, or it was the last time I looked.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #87
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote