Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I don't doubt what you say at all, however could you explain the geometry a bit. 20-25 inches seems like a lot.

thanks,
Ken
Sure thing Ken, thanks for your interest. My mistake. It looks like it is actually 29".

Moving the ball in even a couple of inches can make a significant difference on many combinations. The ball on our Infiniti is positioned less than 5 inches from the back bumper.

The other benefits of moving the ball in closer are reduced stress on the torsion bars (to obtain the same weight transfer), a better ride, and less flexing of the hitch receiver.

Look at the wheelbase to overhang as a ratio.

Ex: A 130" wheelbased vehicle that has a 48" overhang (distance from centre of rear end to centre point of ball). The ratio is 2.7

The same 130" vehicle with the 12" extra distance of the Air Ride gives you a rear overhang ratio of 2.1

That is eqivalent to a vehicle with a 101" wheelbase and a 48" overhang.

So what this means is (if my math is correct) is that with the 12 extra inches on the back of the 130"/48" vehicle you have "in effect" reduced your vehicles wheelbase to 101". Yikes!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, so going on your ratio theory, Is there an ideal ratio like 3.0 or higher?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Sorry, Just can't stay out of this....the ideal or best ratio would be infinity, such as with a truck pulling a fifth wheel trailer with the pivot point directly over the rear axle. (overhang being 0 and the wheelbase is not really important any longer)

However, we are pulling Airstream travel trailers with standard vehicles (sometimes), and that's why the use of the "projected pivot point" (such as the ProPride and the Hensley) hitches work for us so well.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
5th wheels actually have the center of the pin slightly forward of the rear axle. An inch or two. That's "infinity and beyond!"
Old 11-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, so going on your ratio theory, Is there an ideal ratio like 3.0 or higher?
Yes, basicly the higher the ratio the better. Even a vehicle with a 112" wheelbase with a say 32" rear overhang = 3.5
All things being equal the vehicle with the 112" wheelbase would be more stable than the 130" wheelbase/48" rear overhang vehicle when towing a trailer.***

Steve is correct. With the 5er pin directly on top of the punkin it would be ideal except the higher pivot point is the down side when compared to the lower mount of the Airstreams. The 5er's higher mount would be a negative in an emergency avoidance maneuver.

***Thnxs to Andrew T for the wheelbase/overhang ratio explanation.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1995 34' Limited
Sarasota , Florida
Originally bought Equa-l-izer hitch for 31' excella towed with 05 Diesel Excursion 4WD. I tow at 65mph to get into 5th gear. Prevost and others with flat fronts that passed me 75+ push a lot of air in front of them. created exciting times on occastion. fellow that had a 34' said he like his Hensley. bought on on ebay and couldn't agree more. wouldn't let my wife drive with the Equal-i-zer, now she drive with the Hensley no problem.
Have been in several situations on rain/slick roads, Hensley keeps trailer behind me like info says it will.
installed a VR3 back up camera to hook up Hensley (must back straight into its receiver!) works first time every time now. feel very safe with Hensley

The Equal-i-zer is for sale. Feel it will work good for lighter/smaller units. My fellow club members use them and they work fine. Bigger units need more control.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Chemainus, Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Hensley: excess baggage?

After wading throught six pages of "to or not to Hensley" I am starting to suspect that the 2008 17ft Safari Sport that I acquired which is equipped with a Hensley Arrow would just be excess baggage - not the trailer itself of course!

My TV, a 2010 Chevy 1500, 5.3liter V8, Z71, with HD trailering package pulls my tandem axle, just under 4000lb 34ft gross length boat trailer, with just the ball on the highway with no problems (I have a 22ft C Dory which gives a fair amount of windage on the trailer).

Does anyone have any observations? Thanks - Dave
Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #78
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor-d View Post
...Does anyone have any observations? Thanks - Dave
just 2...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...rol-17986.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-26279.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
After wading throught six pages of "to or not to Hensley" I am starting to suspect that the 2008 17ft Safari Sport that I acquired which is equipped with a Hensley Arrow would just be excess baggage - not the trailer itself of course!

My TV, a 2010 Chevy 1500, 5.3liter V8, Z71, with HD trailering package pulls my tandem axle, just under 4000lb 34ft gross length boat trailer, with just the ball on the highway with no problems (I have a 22ft C Dory which gives a fair amount of windage on the trailer).

IMO sway control is...at the very least...a good idea, and essential in many cases. In yours, if you have strong LT tires and load properly I'm not so sure. But a Hensley or equivalent is definitely overkill. A simple friction anti-sway control would easily do the job.

Since you already have it, the only downside to the Hensley is the weight and learning to hitch up, and the inevitable complications of using a non-standard hitch. The upside is you'll never have to worry about sway ... ever. And you don't have to mess with weight distribution bars when hitching/unhitching (they stay with the hitch).

Your call....but if it was me...I'd keep it.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #80
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
This thing did NOTHING when I was towing a 25FB with a Nissan Titan and P rated tires. I owned the name brand one, not this HF clone. I forgot to put it on once and noticed it didn't make a difference. Later I did several runs paying close attention, towing with/without, cranked down so tight it squealed, or tightened per the documentation. Later I switched to LT rated tires and that made a much bigger difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hfsway.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	117506  
Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #81
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
YouTube - Lego Hensley Arrow Model
Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #82
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:

Dave

It is my observation that boat trailers and Airstreams are very different in ways that length, surface area, and weight, do not capture.

The main difference is that with a trailered boat, most of the weight is close to the axle(s). Now, this isn't about the balance point or center of mass, which is similar for boat trailers and Airstreams. It's about the distribution of weight. In technical terms it's called the moment of inertia.

For an Airstream, the weight is fairly evenly distributed along the length. The placement of water tanks near the axles is balanced by the considerable weight of the front and rear end caps, batteries, and propane tanks. In contrast a trailered boat has more of the weight near the axle, because the bow is usually light.

I believe this is the main reason sway is so much less of a problem in the boating world.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
I own a Hensley and it a great anti sway hitch.But it can be hard to hitch.If I were you I would check out Pro-Pride.It's owned by the guy who started Hensley and is supose to be much easier to hitch.Google Pro-Pride
Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #84
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Dave

balanced by the considerable weight of the front and rear end caps,
These Guys must have ate their Wheaties!
Attached Images