Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #57
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post

If it's not affecting the performance of the PP, why not?
This is my take on it.

It may not be effecting the performance of the ProPride (or Hensley) per se, but it will move the pivot point of the whole system to the rear by the length of the Airsafe. This lengthening of the pivot point to rear axle distance will exacerbate the effect of any sway forces.

Ken

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #58
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
This is my take on it.

It may not be effecting the performance of the ProPride (or Hensley) per se, but it will move the pivot point of the whole system to the rear by the length of the Airsafe. This lengthening of the pivot point to rear axle distance will exacerbate the effect of any sway forces.

Ken

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

No need for correction, sir...

The offsetting factor of moving the effective pivot point further from the rear axle is that Air Safe users "usually" have a heavy suspension tow vehicle.

-

Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
diminishes the sway eliminating features of the 3P or the orange. Most 'Stremers that use the Air Safe have a heavy suspension on their tow vehicle so it is likely they won't notice the difference moving the effective pivot point rearward and extending the lever arm that the pivot point creates behind the rear axle.

We also, I believe, still have not seen a rig set up on a certified scale -- before and after Air Safe installation -- so, potentially, even a hebby-dooty pickemup may not be adhering to manufacturer guidelines in re WDH use. This bandaid may have been unnecessary if we knew hitch rigging met guidelines in the first place (or had a lesser effect than reported, making it nearly moot).

I've noticed in any number of threads (on numerous boards) that Load Range E tires are simply pumped up to the 80-psi maximum regardless of the actual load OR the manufacturer requirements. It isn't simply a question of ride quality in this case, but of handling & braking as well as tire life, then perceived "quality".

The only way to do all of this is on certified scales, on a regular basis in order to accommodate differing loads.

I'm as interested as the next guy in a better ride, but numbers need to be respected before and after installation to ascertain whether this detrimental add-on is worthwhile; hitch-rigging and tire pressure all done according to spec.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
The resounding issue is not the stability with the ProPride or the HA, but of potential damage to the AS when towing with an HD truck. The investment-yes it IS an investment- of hard earned income into an AS it worthy of proactive protection.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
.................................................. .............

I'm as interested as the next guy in a better ride, but numbers need to be respected before and after installation to ascertain whether this detrimental add-on is worthwhile; hitch-rigging and tire pressure all done according to spec.

When I first heard of the AirSafe, I thought it would be a great add on.

However after my first 8000 mile of towing with this setup, I am very happy with the ride I get with the PP WD set properly. My feeling at this point is that the AirSafe would do nothing more that I would notice.

Not a thing in or on the trailer has broken or failed due to towing.

Regards,

Ken
Old 11-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
This is an interesting thread as I've always respected the trapezoid geometry of the HaHa/PP in controlling sway and consider it a superior design.

Perhaps due to cost or not having "white knuckle" situations with my present system, I did not invest in either system. The Reese cam works great for my trailer and truck.

I did choose to invest in the AirSafe hitch this spring and feel it was a wise investment. We have now been on the road for 3 months and have traveled over 8000 miles, few of them smooth roads or interstate. The Airsafe seems to relieve jarring motions on both the truck and on our Airstream. All porpoising has been eliminated, it just never happens any more. Just yesterday, we were traveling Colorado highway 86 towards eastern CO to link up with I-70. It was a very rough and undulating surface. I told my wife to look in the mirror and see the trailer's action/motion compared to the truck. The trailer seemed independent of the truck. I wish I could have gotten a motion picture of it. The trailer's motion was distinct and separate of the truck's. It was dramatic. The Airsafe seems to allow the trailer's suspension to do it's work separate of the TV's. Later we entered the trailer to make a lunch. The place mats were still on the dinette table in indicating a somewhat smooth ride. I feel the PP/HaHa or any other hitch out there alone, would not have provided the improved ride and comfort that the Airsafe did.

Today we had a horrendous crosswind heading east on I-70 in KS. We experienced not one "whiteknuckle" event, even though we were passed by numerous triple tandem UPS trucks. Yes the bow wave did move us, but I get the same movement with my Mercury Grand Marquis. The Airsafe continued to provide a smooth ride for truck and trailer.

In summarizing our AirSafe experience, we feel it has turned out to be a wise investment. We feel that there has been much less stress on our TV and our Airstream and, of course the comfort of the ride. If PP/HaHa could ever incorporate the two together, there would be absolutely no better and safer system for towing an Airstream. At this time, I would choose the AirSafe over the pp/HaHA for cost and comfort, assuming sway isn't an issue.

JimW

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Shorter wheel base with Air ride

The Air ride will add about 12" of distance to the rear overhang of the TV.
That is a huge amount which "in effect", shortens the wheelbase of the TV by roughly 20 to 25".
Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I do get some porpoising when on concrete roads with expansion joints. They line up just right with my wheelbase and trailer combo. Other than that the ride is very good with my PP. That said, I don't have as wide a buffer as others on this forum. F150/34' trailer. While I am comfortably within my limits, an addition 12" of effective tongue length would have a greater negative effect on my setup than someone towing with a larger/heavier vehicle.

As long as I am using the F150, I think I will stick with my current setup. Now if Sean should come out with an air system which does not increase the effective tongue length, I will look at it.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
In summarizing our AirSafe experience, we feel it has turned out to be a wise investment. We feel that there has been much less stress on our TV and our Airstream and, of course the comfort of the ride. If PP/HaHa could ever incorporate the two together, there would be absolutely no better and safer system for towing an Airstream. At this time, I would choose the AirSafe over the pp/HaHA for cost and comfort, assuming sway isn't an issue.

What is your TV? Thanks, Zigi
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post

What is your TV? Thanks, Zigi
Zigi,

Our TV is an '08 Chevy 3/4 Ton pick-up with the diesel engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zion NP BLM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	114516  

WBCCI #22116
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
That is a huge amount which "in effect", shortens the wheelbase of the TV by roughly 20 to 25".
I don't doubt what you say at all, however could you explain the geometry a bit. 20-25 inches seems like a lot.

thanks,
Ken
Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
I measured the distance from the receiver to the center of the ball on my original Reese, and then again on the AirSafe. I found the difference to be 8.5 inches. The HaHa and the PP also increase the overhang by a similar distance from what I understand.

So using your wheelbase example, my club cab Chevy is now shortened to an extended cab model, the difference being 18". And that's ok, because I towed 5 years with an extended cab.

No matter the effects of the hitch's projection, the AirSafe improves the tow.

JimW

WBCCI #22116
Old 11-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #69
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Now if Sean should come out with an air system which does not increase the effective tongue length, I will look at it.

You're reading my mind, Craig.

The air bags need to be on the sides of the adjustable plates on the receiver end of the hitch bar.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, sounds like the moderators need to change the name of this thread to: "To Airsafe or not to Airsafe."

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote