Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
To grease or not to grease

I was recently told that it is "old school" to grease the hitch ball.

I've been greasing the ball for many years, just like I saw my Dad do.

Why would it be better to leave the ball dry?

Mike Brumback
1963 Tradewind
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I was told the same thing by a trailer repair shop. His explanation of that advice is, the grease will accumulate dirt and water, and cause more wear than a dry connection.
He did admit it is better to grease before use, provided you thoroughly clean the ball and coupler first.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
I was recently told that it is "old school" to grease the hitch ball.

I've been greasing the ball for many years, just like I saw my Dad do.

Why would it be better to leave the ball dry?

Mike Brumback
1963 Tradewind
My 7000th post.

Physics says when one piece of metal moves on another piece of metal, it should have some type of lube.

Not lubing the hitch ball will cause scoring on the ball as well as wear. It will also contribute to excessive wear on the "fork" in the coupler, that no one ever looks at.

Have enough of that happen and the coupler will no longer stay on the ball.

Lube the ball, all you want. It harms nothing, ever.

Not lubing the ball is not wise, by any standards.

Even Simon "says," along with Mother Superior, too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
If you love it, lube it! The next question is, dry lube, silicon, lithium, grease, machine oil, synthetic, etc. dunno!
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
If you love it, lube it! The next question is, dry lube, silicon, lithium, grease, machine oil, synthetic, etc. dunno!
Probably the best thing is a good wheel bearing grease.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
I have seen one instance in my life where the trailer needed to get its ground through the hitch, and too much grease prevented grounding of the trailer and lights on the trailer did not work. This was a car hauler and not a camping trailer. If trailer connector provides the ground and if all parts are clean prior to geasing, either a little or a lot of grease is better than none. My opinion.

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Two metal parts, joined together, moving is separate directions, cause friction. lubricants allow free movement and reduce the friction/wear. Lubricant costs $1.50 per 200 application. Cheep insurance for the user, no mater what the product.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I found and use a teflon trailer ball lube. I think it is made by Reese. It is a good idea to wipe it clean and re-apply once in a while so you don't get dirt built up in/on it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I found and use a teflon trailer ball lube. I think it is made by Reese. It is a good idea to wipe it clean and re-apply once in a while so you don't get dirt built up in/on it.
That's the same product that I've been using for a number of years. Reese also recommends greasing the ball, and that's good enough for me. I smear a smal amount on every time that I hitch up.

I also always have a roll of paper towels handy and wipe the grease off as soon as I unhitch (hopefully before I bump into the greasy ball and get it all over my pants!), and then put a cover over the ball so it stays nice and clean until the next time I hitch up.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had the nut on a ball loosen because the unlubed ball was turned by the coupler. I don't think it would have happened if it was lubed.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Yep.....even with the Hensley. Clean and grease every Spring when I re-install.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I clean from time to time and keep lots of grease on the ball. Since I now have a lock for the hitch head, I tend to leave it on when unhitched. Barb gave me some "hitch hats"—some plastic things that look like small shower caps (it's amazing to me how women have all these strange things, but have so few wrenches) to put on the ball when we drive around—plus some rubber bands to keep it on. The grease will collect dirt regardless, but grease plus some dirt is better than dirt and no grease.

Whether or not I have grease on the ball, my clothes will seek and find grease somewhere. My experience is that with all the sitting on the ground, even using a tarp, dealing with grease and dirt and sewer, and the rest of it, clothes, especially pants, get dirty pretty fast while traveling with a trailer. Then the dirt gets transferred to the cheap cloth on the cushions inside. How did Wally always look so clean?—I travel looking like a hobo.

I'm wondering how long the "fork" in the coupler (that I have never looked at) lasts?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I clean from time to time and keep lots of grease on the ball. Since I now have a lock for the hitch head, I tend to leave it on when unhitched. Barb gave me some "hitch hats"—some plastic things that look like small shower caps (it's amazing to me how women have all these strange things, but have so few wrenches) to put on the ball when we drive around—plus some rubber bands to keep it on.
you can always cut a hole in an old tennis ball to pop over the ball. It'll keep the grease contained (more or less), and the bright lime green color may attract your attention enough so you don't walk into it.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Whether or not I have grease on the ball, my clothes will seek and find grease somewhere. My experience is that with all the sitting on the ground, even using a tarp, dealing with grease and dirt and sewer, and the rest of it, clothes, especially pants, get dirty pretty fast while traveling with a trailer. Then the dirt gets transferred to the cheap cloth on the cushions inside. How did Wally always look so clean?—I travel looking like a hobo.
Gene
In your locale would not in season "birthday suit maintenance" be an option?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I bring my birthday suit on all my travels, but my wife insists that I not display it outside or even inside in front of the windows. Getting wheel bearing grease off skin is even harder than getting it off clothes.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I'm wiff Terry and Andy on this one . I been towin one size trailer or another for 50 yrs. I have always grease trailer ball and fifth wheels. I use the same HIGH TEMP / Low Drip Bearing grease I used on my Road tractors and axles repacks. Never had a failure on either end.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
I use a marine grease that comes in a large tube like toothpaste. Very convenient and you don't have to get it all over your hands to apply after wiping off the old grease. You can get it at Walmart or Cabela's in the lube section.

To cover the greasy ball when we are not connected I use a $1 store baby sippy cup upside down. It works perfectly and stores on top of the propane tank when we are connected.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote